• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 michael1968 OFFLINE  

michael1968
  • Member No: 9479
  • 18 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted August 30, 2014 - 03:44 PM

Hey, I just picked up a Wards(Gilson) for $50. It was complete although not running when purchased. I've since gotten it to turn over well but there doesn't seem to be a spark. Any advice, points, condenser, coil. There is a new plug in it. thanks -michael

Attached Thumbnails

• new1.jpg
  • new3.jpg
  • new2.jpg

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 564 Thanks
  • 626 posts

Posted August 30, 2014 - 08:24 PM

You say doesn't seem to be a spark. Did you take plug out and lay on head to see if there is spark? If so check to see you have 12 volts at coil when ignition turned on. If there is check points you can do this without taking cover off just disconnect positive wire off coil clip test light on negative terminal and touch positive post of battery and try to start it if the light flashes off and on the points are opening and closing. Be sure to place positive wire where it wont short out before turning the key on. If that's working go to

Mechanical Forum for testing coil

Edited by gopher, August 30, 2014 - 09:20 PM.

#3 junkman OFFLINE  

junkman
  • Member No: 61811
  • 125 Thanks
  • 58 posts

Posted August 30, 2014 - 11:16 PM

I don't know if this has the same engine as my Big Daddy, but the mag quit on it and would not get fire. I just added a coil and problem was solved.

#4 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted August 31, 2014 - 07:29 AM

This is a magneto Briggs and Stratton.  Your points are probably the problem.  Take off the cover to the lower left of the carburetor and then take a small file and rub between the breaker points.  If the points look to be corroded or damaged, you need to replace them. 

I usually recommend replacing them, anyway.  They are $22 from me, along with a condenser for $12.50.

You say doesn't seem to be a spark. Did you take plug out and lay on head to see if there is spark? If so check to see you have 12 volts at coil when ignition turned on. If there is check points you can do this without taking cover off just disconnect positive wire off coil clip test light on negative terminal and touch positive post of battery and try to start it if the light flashes off and on the points are opening and closing. Be sure to place positive wire where it wont short out before turning the key on. If that's working go to

Mechanical Forum for testing coil

Gopher, that will work for a Kohler, but not this Briggs.

Ben W.

• trowel said thank you

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted August 31, 2014 - 07:51 AM

I've found just cleaning the block surface that the points mount on makes better ground and works wonders. Have to be careful of the push rod for points and it's smalll rubber cover at a case. Look like Mice have been in the housing cover?  Many times nests are made there, and wires eaten off. The mouse Pee makes stuff real rusty, which can be cleaned up then. Think you should get a Briggs engine manual to read and follow, sounds like you don't have lots of experience with engines and you could mess something up if you work on it wrong.

• michael1968 said thank you

#6 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 564 Thanks
  • 626 posts

Posted September 01, 2014 - 09:15 AM

This is a magneto Briggs and Stratton.  Your points are probably the problem.  Take off the cover to the lower left of the carburetor and then take a small file and rub between the breaker points.  If the points look to be corroded or damaged, you need to replace them. 

I usually recommend replacing them, anyway.  They are $22 from me, along with a condenser for $12.50.

Gopher, that will work for a Kohler, but not this Briggs.

Ben W.

My mistake I know it's magneto I have one. When he said coil I assumed PO changed to battery ignition.   

• superaben said thank you