#1 WQDL753 OFFLINE  

WQDL753

Bolensholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1407
  • 59 Thanks
  • 301 posts

Posted February 11, 2011 - 03:14 AM

I know this is not PC related but it is electonics so I figured it fit here...
Does anyone use broadcast tv? How is your experiance with it? What equipment do you use?
We recently decided to give up our directv we've had for 11 years now, not because we wern't happy with them, but we had to cut something.... So, going old-school, wow they've made some improvements since I was a kid.
So, living 50 miles outside of B.F.E. and being in a geographicaly depesed area(darn glaciers) we wern't t sure if we could get anything. last weekend we picked up the best spec. antenna wee could localy to do some proof of concept testing, and have an easy return...
Amazingly, we can get a good signal for cbs and fox, and a very week signal for pbs, all out of youngstown, and pbs has 3 substations but one is in spanish, so we can get 5 channels from the front porch yeeehaa! So we ordered an amplified new age yagi type antenna that should be here sat. and I'll put it in the upstairs attic(20' higher than the porch) for now, I'll let Y'All know how that works out.
As for quality, it ain't like the old analog days, the digital signal is all or nothing. There is no differance in the 65% channels to the 25%. And if the program is supposed to be in HD it is, and full Dolby digital 5.1 to boot....All with no monthly bill. Well that's all I got for now, ideas, comments, sarcasem are all welcome...

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted February 11, 2011 - 08:26 AM

Your terrain is a little flatter than ours, but the best antenna I have seen for us is the winegard hd7084 with the ap8780 or Ap8275.
There are a few channels that actually use VHF, one is in Cleveland, 12 from Erie are 2.

Another thing I see that kills signal is Radio Shack or WalMart wire. And splitters. You want rg6 coax, with white foam dielectric insulation. The stuff with the milky white plastic seems to eat some signal, the splitters, you want one with the lowest insertion loss. If it's not marked, on the splitters... Assume it's higher than you want.

Been messing with this stuff for 20 years, Billy. If you have a question, PM me!
  • Bill56 said thank you

#3 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,861 posts

Posted February 11, 2011 - 09:19 AM

Take a look at some of the tv and movies on line.
Check Hulu you have to create on account but it is still free. They have some good movies.
If you hook your video out on your computer to your TV it is just like the real thing.
  • WQDL753 said thank you

#4 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted February 11, 2011 - 06:28 PM

As far as TV antenna's and amplifiers go there are 2 basic types of amps
1> a signal amp that mounts right up top at the antenna near the terminals. This is the best at improving the signal quality as it amplifies the signal right at the head and eliminates all the wire loses.
2> distribution amp, mounted in the house, this is used if you want to slit the signal for several TV sets, it will do nothing to improve the signal that is fed to the amp only make it more powerful.

Every time you split the RF signal (signal from the antenna) through a 2 way splitter you loose more than 50% of it to each set.

The best Antenna cable in terms of picture quality is a good quality 300 ohm twin lead but it must be installed properly.
Coax cable is not as efficient but it is not effected by any interference.

The antenna heads are 300 ohm, coax cable is 75 ohm, to hook coax up to the head you need a matching transformer, 300 to 75, transformers are not 100% efficient and that's why a 300 ohm lead is better. You will only see a deference in picture quality on weak signals.
All that being said coax cable seems to be the popular, better choice mainly because it's easier to install and tends to last longer.

I spent 4 years working in a TV repair shop that was big on TV antenna sales and installation, this was back in the late 70s.
  • Bill56 said thank you

#5 WQDL753 OFFLINE  

WQDL753

Bolensholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1407
  • 59 Thanks
  • 301 posts

Posted February 16, 2011 - 12:41 AM

Thanks for the input guys.
The little cheapo antenna is doing pretty good in it's temporary spot. It has a preamp built into the 300 to 75 ohm tramsformer on the antenna.
So we're getting nbc, cw, cbs, fox, abc, my ytv, weather channel, and pbs, witch also includes fusion, worldview, and vme.
When I get around to pemanent mounting I think I may need some better rg6, just used what was handy for the testing(and I don't remember buying it, musta came with the house) meby I'm just to used to the rg8 a/u I used for the scanner and base radio, but the cable seems chincy.
For now though, the wife and kids are happy, one less bill to pay, and I can get back to tractors. :thumbs:

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted February 16, 2011 - 08:22 AM

Sound like you're doing pretty good. I know people who have spent lots of $ and still only get one or less. If you start swinging to other cities, you're just going to repeat what you have for pics. Good rg6 is less chincy feelin' than the cheap stuff, but it's more like 8X than 8.