3 replies to this topic

#1 tyler OFFLINE  

tyler

Tractorholic

• Member No: 437
  • 55 Thanks
  • 139 posts

Posted August 30, 2014 - 09:10 AM

ok  I got a John Deere 111 and the rear end is stuck in neutral.  I have the rear end on the work bench  and before I crack it open and look to see whats wrong.  is there any thing i should be looking for? or do? or don"t even bother trying to fix. it's a manual 5 speed.

Edited by tyler, August 30, 2014 - 09:12 AM.

#2 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted August 30, 2014 - 09:20 AM

I had a Craftsman 5 speed do that.  I used PB Blaster on the input shaft and just started tapping it until it eventually freed up.  It took several days of putting PB Blaster on there and tapping it but it eventually did free up and still works today.

#3 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• Member No: 6698
  • 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted September 04, 2014 - 02:17 PM

That trans (Peerless) is somewhat know to grenade if run low on gear lube.  I've replaced the one in my 116 (same machine sans engine) once already and it is in need of an axle seal, as I type.

#4 bert55044 OFFLINE  

bert55044
  • Member No: 10807
  • 2 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted August 27, 2015 - 04:33 PM

I have one of these trans (Peerless) appart right now. I found the shiffting fork to be the problem. Making is stay in first gear. On this trans the fork is cast and had broken. Make sure you look on the underside of the trans for one more bolt. The one I have appart is very clean inside. But I made a special effort to get a lot of lubbercation on shaft that the shifting keys are in. On the bench it is working great... will see what happens when the new fork is installed and the trans is back in the tractor.