• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted August 29, 2014 - 06:38 PM

I have a 1976 MTD 990 that had the smaller hubs in the front with the three lugs. They have of coarse small bearings in them. I bought some larger hubs that have larger bearings. What year did MTD use the larger hubs. I will be using the larger hubs but my manual only shows the smaller hubs. Both sizes have the 3/4" spindle. I know there is a rubber cup of sort that goes in the hub to keep dirt out. Does anyone have the part number for these...should be one on each side of the hub. Thanks

The one on the left came on the tractor & the one on the right is the larger. I ordered new bearings for these since they were worn out.

Spindle Hubs.jpg

#2 VTXrider OFFLINE  

VTXrider
  • Member No: 16031
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted August 30, 2014 - 06:46 AM

Not sure there was a specific year for larger hubs. They may have been part of the upgrade package for a FEL

• Sawdust said thank you

#3 Canawler ONLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted August 30, 2014 - 01:05 PM

Not sure there was a specific year for larger hubs. They may have been part of the upgrade package for a FEL

Agreed.  The manuals show the same part number for the hubs the whole time they used that setup.  If they did a running change in production they must be a direct interchange.

• Sawdust said thank you

#4 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted August 30, 2014 - 02:16 PM

Thanks guys. I've got to find the rubber seal or cup that goes next to the bearing to keep dirt out. In case you haven't read my thread on this GT came with the hub shown on the left & the other side had the newer wheel without the lugs. I bought the larger hubs from GL, I'll send him a pm to see if he knows anything about these. Thanks again.

#5 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted August 30, 2014 - 06:11 PM

I messed up & ordered the wrong bearing. Apparently even though the bearings are the same, one kind comes with the seal & the one I ordered doesn't. :wallbanging:  I should have ordered the ones that came with the bearing seal. I have searched online & eBay & it looks like the seal isn't available by itself. I'm going to go next week to Napa & we have a Rim & Wheel here in town maybe they might have these. I was thinking since these hubs have a ID of 1 3/4" hole I might be able to find some hub covers or the small metal cap for the outer bearings. I might could pack the inside with felt & a washer.  :tapping_fingers:

This is the only seal I have that was on one of the hubs

bearing seal.jpg