• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,716 Thanks
  • 869 posts

Posted August 29, 2014 - 07:17 AM

hi all i have a toro wheel horse with a 12 hp onan in it , vertical shaft, i am giving the motor to a old guy to fix his bolens, but i want to save the electric clutch,usually these things just fall out when you least expect it, but i have been pulling , prying, spraying release all, is there a "hidden" snap ring? threaded on? i dont want to get out the torches if i dont have to thanks. john

#2 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• Member No: 6698
  • 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted August 29, 2014 - 08:32 AM

No hidden snap rings that I've ever found.  I did have to remove one that needed to go away on an 18hp Briggs and ended up cutting it off the shaft one piece at a time.  Not the option you want, I suspect.  Should just be the retainer bolt in the end of the crank and a key way.  One trick you can try is using a pneumatic chisel with the blunt bit on it.  IF you can get it to move even a tiny bit, it will come off.

Edited by dave8338, August 29, 2014 - 08:33 AM.

• farmer john said thank you

#3 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,699 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted August 29, 2014 - 09:16 AM

I had one about a year ago that would not come off.  It had a cone shape shaft which had it locked on.  If you look up the shaft and see two sets of threads, one set on the shaft it's self and the other set on the clutch assy.  Get a 4" steel rod and put up the shaft then us a bolt to screw into the clutch assy and it will come off, or at least mine did.

• MH81, boyscout862 and farmer john have said thanks