• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 eriklane OFFLINE  

eriklane
  • Member No: 32842
  • 10 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted August 29, 2014 - 07:12 AM

Tractor ran fine all summer. Haven't run it since late July...no spark. Points appear fine, all wires appear fine. Pulled every connection I could and sanded them shiny.  Did see a mouse run out when I tried to start it, maybe ate a wire I can't see?

The spark wire goes into the cowling of the motor, and, with this stupid design, it means I literally have to pull the entire motor, disconnect the shaft, 2 hours work...Ugh.  Wondering if that wire is chewed inside the cowling, or, if the pickup is rusty....

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted August 29, 2014 - 07:42 AM

Did you change the spark plug?

#3 eriklane OFFLINE  

eriklane
  • 10 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted August 29, 2014 - 08:01 AM

Not before, but, I didnt' try that now...I doubt fouling would do it..I can try that but I've never had a sparky fail in my entire 52 year life...

#4 T Guiles OFFLINE  

T Guiles
  • Member No: 39800
  • 952 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted August 29, 2014 - 08:46 AM

Stranger things have happened, start with easy and work your way up

• boyscout862 said thank you

#5 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,767 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted August 29, 2014 - 09:43 AM

Unfortunately, mice like the old B&S flywheel cover areas for nests. They chew on the wires and piss on the magneto. I've had to pull 3 engines this year for nests. Its even more dangerous if the engine runs because you can get a fire or overheat the engine. Check everything easy then you may just have to pull the engine. While its out check the belt and clean the chasis.

The darned mice get into all my stored things. Yesterday was time to refresh the bait trays. I put one in my big truck and was startled to find a large snake skin in the cab of the truck. They even chewed holes in the tarp covering my tent garage. Going to put out 3x as many baits this year. Good Luck, Rick

#6 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,296 Thanks
  • 2,331 posts

Posted August 29, 2014 - 12:11 PM

More than likely the Condenser is bad or the mouse ate the small wire that goes from the Points and Condenser to the Magneto.

Mice love to craw into small holes and build Huge Hotels for they're lady friends to visit.They chew on everything.Especially rubber coated wires. 

#7 eriklane OFFLINE  

eriklane
  • 10 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted August 30, 2014 - 08:40 PM

Pulled the engine and found a big mouse nest on top of the coil but no damage anywhere. Sanded the flywheel and redid the coil gap using the business card trick. Watching Youtube videos now on how to convert to electronic ign...I did put a new condensor in, but, now after taking that whole assy off, not sure of how to set the points gap...

Can I test for spark just by turning the flywheel quickly?

#8 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,767 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted August 31, 2014 - 01:54 PM

Yes, thats how I do it. Without a sparkplug the engine should turn easy. Good Luck, Rick

#9 eriklane OFFLINE  

eriklane
  • 10 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted August 31, 2014 - 08:45 PM

What joy. So no spark, and I tried literally everything. Cleaned flywheel, coil, readjusted points, at one point I had spark with the wires to the points DISCONNECTED...put the motor back in (loose), no spark. Back on the bench, more froggin around. I don't keep track of what I did, suffice it to say, it now runs with the old condenser. I have NO idea why we had no spark, and frankly, don't care. It runs.

So I go and mow for an hour. And I'm noticing that it's jerking, making odd sounds beneath my fanny...yep, at some point, the thing quits, no gears at all. So, I go from one problem to another.

Apparently time for a full trans pull? What a mess..and I have no experience there.  Disaster.

#10 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted August 31, 2014 - 08:53 PM

What joy. So no spark, and I tried literally everything. Cleaned flywheel, coil, readjusted points, at one point I had spark with the wires to the points DISCONNECTED...put the motor back in (loose), no spark. Back on the bench, more froggin around. I don't keep track of what I did, suffice it to say, it now runs with the old condenser. I have NO idea why we had no spark, and frankly, don't care. It runs.

So I go and mow for an hour. And I'm noticing that it's jerking, making odd sounds beneath my fanny...yep, at some point, the thing quits, no gears at all. So, I go from one problem to another.

Apparently time for a full trans pull? What a mess..and I have no experience there.  Disaster.

Bad run is all, happens from time to time, sometime we fight them and usually win.

Trans could be fine, check the belt, could be loose, put it in gear and spin the input shaft/pulley, see if it is engaged in gear, Jack up the rear of tractor and spin the wheels, see if it will free roll or resistance is felt.

#11 VintageIronCollector OFFLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • Member No: 33118
  • 1,267 Thanks
  • 1,768 posts

Posted August 31, 2014 - 09:04 PM

The spark wire goes into the cowling of the motor, and, with this stupid design, it means I literally have to pull the entire motor, disconnect the shaft, 2 hours work...Ugh.

The first time I pulled the Briggs out of my B-212 it took me approximately 45 minutes  to remove and 30 minutes to reinstall. The second time I pulled it it ony too about 20 minutes to remove and 20 to reinstall

#12 VintageIronCollector OFFLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • Member No: 33118
  • 1,267 Thanks
  • 1,768 posts

Posted August 31, 2014 - 09:06 PM

I always wanted to try swapping a early cub cadet rear into an AC/Simplicity. Maybe someday it will happen. I also want to put a CC rear into a Jacobsen Chief as well

#13 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted August 31, 2014 - 11:16 PM

I will be suspect of the Bevel Gear Box. The keyway in my Allis was so worn that the key sat in there on a 45. Also, slop allowing the shaft to move l-r they the box and would've eventually let the key in the bevel gear fall out.

Do as trowel said and check there first, but I think you might be removing the gear box but not the tranny yet.