Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Briggs 16Hp Single Cylinder Charging System.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 junkman OFFLINE  

junkman
  • Member No: 61811
  • 125 Thanks
  • 58 posts

Posted August 28, 2014 - 09:52 PM

I have a question that I joined just to ask and would appreciate any info I can get. I put a 16HP Briggs single pop on my boys play toy but I have not a clue as to what rectifier I need for the charging system. It is a I/C engine with a model #326437, type #2527-01, and code #8512171. The microfiche I have of this engine shows several different options in staters and a friend of mine told me I would have to take the flywheel off and see which one it has in order to get the right rectifier. I hate the thought of taking the engine back off to check it, so my question is, is there a way to tell what it needs whithout removing the engine? Maybe by looking at the numbers or something? It has had the wires replaced so don't know the colors. I will say that the stater is puting out AC current, so it is good. Again any info appreciated.

#2 GWest OFFLINE  

GWest

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 130
  • 450 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted August 29, 2014 - 05:07 AM

Seen this ID chart?

http://gardentractor...nator-id-chart/

The stator wire colors and connector colors should identify what you have.

Garry

Another one

http://gardentractor...iring-diagrams/

Edited by GWest, August 29, 2014 - 05:08 AM.

• boyscout862 and junkman have said thanks

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,743 posts

Posted August 29, 2014 - 05:34 AM

Since the wiring has been replaced, you may have to pull the flywheel to figure it out.

• boyscout862 and junkman have said thanks

#4 junkman OFFLINE  

junkman
  • 125 Thanks
  • 58 posts

Posted August 30, 2014 - 10:06 PM

Since the wiring has been replaced, you may have to pull the flywheel to figure it out.

I was afraid of that! Just hated pulling the engine off again just to check it for it has a drive shaft coupled to the flywheel. Thanks for the responces.

#5 junkman OFFLINE  

junkman
  • 125 Thanks
  • 58 posts

Posted August 30, 2014 - 10:23 PM

Seen this ID chart?

http://gardentractor...nator-id-chart/

The stator wire colors and connector colors should identify what you have.

Garry

Another one

http://gardentractor...iring-diagrams/

Thanks Garry for the charts! Nice information to know and much appreciated.  The wires were cut and spliced at the flywheel cover, so I might yet be able to find out what is behind the flywheel, but agan got to take the moter off to see unless I can see them by just taking off the little shroud extention on the top. Will let you guys know how I fare.

#6 junkman OFFLINE  

junkman
  • 125 Thanks
  • 58 posts

Posted August 31, 2014 - 11:48 AM

Well I peared up behind the shroud and can see I have a black and red wire, but see there is no diode in the line. The stater has a high voltage and a low AC voltage winding but don't know enough about charging systems to know if I have any other options besides discarding this stater and getting a new one.

#7 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted August 31, 2014 - 12:30 PM

How much AC voltage are you getting at the wires? If you are getting 26-28vac, i'd try one of the 3 prong regulators like Kohler uses. Hook the ac wires to the outside and the battery to the center and see what happens.

• junkman said thank you

#8 junkman OFFLINE  

junkman
  • 125 Thanks
  • 58 posts

Posted August 31, 2014 - 03:17 PM

How much AC voltage are you getting at the wires? If you are getting 26-28vac, i'd try one of the 3 prong regulators like Kohler uses. Hook the ac wires to the outside and the battery to the center and see what happens.

Doug that was my first thought, but have concluded that it is a dual circuit stater and am under the impression that a Kohler has two wires of equal AC curent. Like I said, I am new to charging systems, they just always worked for me. Figured out one went to the lights direct and got it hooked up and am trying to hook up another diode setup in the line for the charging system. Will let you know if it works or blows. 

#9 junkman OFFLINE  

junkman
  • 125 Thanks
  • 58 posts

Posted August 31, 2014 - 05:24 PM

Well I got the lights to work, but the resister I have is the wrong one and I think I messed up the stater on the one circuit. So I will just charge the battery up every so often till I get tired of that and yank the motor off. Thanks all you guys for your input and Garry, the charts sure helped, thanks.

#10 drbish ONLINE  

drbish

Collecter

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2544
  • 1,167 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted August 31, 2014 - 06:14 PM

I have put a Briggs and Stratton 1984 Update Seminar Book.It gives you the Alternator id and the testing for them.

http://gardentractor...update-seminar/

Hope this helps

• sacsr and junkman have said thanks