Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

New Guy Here--Is This Pk Economy A Good Buy?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 dirtcaptain OFFLINE  

• Member No: 61820
  • 7 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted August 28, 2014 - 02:42 PM

I found a Power King Economy tractor on craigslist.  I had never heard of the brand, and a google search brought me here.  They seem to be great little tractors and would fit the bill perfectly for my 3/4 acre lot.  The tractor in question seems like a really good deal, just wondering what those of you with more experience with them think.  My best guess is it's a late 70s model.  14hp Kohler motor.  Comes with hydraulics, a mower, a rototiller and a blade.  The guy is asking 2000 bucks. Whaddya'll think?  Good buy?

Attached Thumbnails

• pke.jpg

• Talntedmrgreen and Bill 76 have said thanks

#2 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,628 Thanks
  • 1,042 posts

Posted August 28, 2014 - 04:08 PM

I love my 1971 1614 There good tractors heavy duty,fun to drive.

See if the seriel number tag is still on the dash --that will tell me the year--or the number on the engine can help date it.

• dirtcaptain said thank you

#3 glgrumpy ONLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,484 Thanks
  • 6,361 posts

Posted August 28, 2014 - 04:18 PM

This is on the PK forums around web. Seems like nice rig and had some attachments in most ads I've seen. Price is not a real steal, but  they seem to be edging up that way now days. Pay that much for something new and you won't get much. These are real tough, and I like the bigger tires (24") that this one has over the 16".  It is almost like a small farm tractor and easy to work on, can fix broken parts with common metals if needed. Parts are available and on epay all the time, no hassle there. Think it would be safe buy. Similar to mine in my avatar that is modified.

• boyscout862 and dirtcaptain have said thanks

#4 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,379 Thanks
  • 3,959 posts

Posted August 29, 2014 - 01:17 AM

:welcome:  to GTT

#5 tom tractor OFFLINE  

tom tractor
  • Member No: 51604
  • 179 Thanks
  • 193 posts

Posted August 29, 2014 - 04:55 AM

I think the price is fair.  Make sure the clutch works good.  Just make sure everything is technically sound.  PTO, Clutch, no engine knock.  If everything is mechanically sound  - I think the price is very good.  Sometimes a steal proves to be more expensive in the end.  Go for it.  The forum is always a great place to ask tech. questions.  WELCOME.

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,667 Thanks
  • 28,317 posts

Posted August 29, 2014 - 05:50 AM

Look it over and make sure no odd repairs (welds, funny wiring, etc)
Take it for a drive and listen for noises. I was taught these trannies could have bearing issues if neglected, but are nearly bullet proof if taken care of.
Make sure the rims aren't rusty or rusting thru (calcium filled tires will often do this) and if they show signs of rusting, that needs to be accounted for in the negotiations.

Looks to be pretty complete and not abused, these tractors seem very capable and as long as the attachments are I good shape it sounds like you've found a nice tractor.

:welcome: to GTTalk

#7 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,137 Thanks
  • 2,269 posts

Posted August 29, 2014 - 06:10 AM

Looks well taken care of and, with the attachments listed, would be worth the price.  Price is high end these days but not absolute top dollar.  More than capable of handling your 3/4 acre.  You may actually find it too big.  I'm betting you will find this to be a 1974 - 76 tractor as it still has the Economy name on the hood.  You'll find they work bigger than they are.  My brother has a couple of these and he uses them on his 20 acres.  As Alan said, test it, listen for things that shouldn't be and watch for smoke.  The k321 is probably one of the best engines kohler ever built.  DO NOT worry if you grind the gears while shifting when you test drive the tractor.  This is normal for these tractors and goes away the more you learn how to shift them.  It's not a hard thing so don't stress about it.  The two things that would make this deal even better would be a dual transmission and a three point hitch.  To many, that would constitute a dream PK.

• MH81, boyscout862 and dirtcaptain have said thanks

#8 boyscout862 ONLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,468 Thanks
  • 7,352 posts

Posted August 29, 2014 - 09:18 AM

Welcome to GTT. The condition of the tractor deterrmines if the price is good or not. As said above test drive it. Check our Manuals Section for information. 3 free downloads per day.

At 3/4 acre that may be too much tractor. A smaller good GT from the 60s, 70s or 80s may do a good job for you at a much lower cost. There are many good brands available. I find that the old Simplicities and Allis Chalmers are still usually under priced for what you get. Hang around and learn if you have time. Questions are welcomed. Good Luck, Rick

#9 Gabriel OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted August 29, 2014 - 09:24 AM

#10 HDWildBill ONLINE  

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,640 Thanks
  • 8,522 posts

Posted August 29, 2014 - 09:40 AM

Looks like everyone has given you some good advice, so I will just welcome you to GTtalk.

#11 dirtcaptain OFFLINE  

• 7 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted August 29, 2014 - 01:07 PM

Wow.  Thanks for all the responses and tips.  The guy selling it has gone out of town for the holiday weekend so I won't get to check it out until next week. I'm not worried about it being too much tractor for my 3/4 acre lot. My sister has a couple of acres and horse pens that I'm sure I'll get volunteered to help with if I buy it. On my lot, I just pulled up a bunch of chinese elm stumps I need to get moved, and I need to level and rototill so I can get grass planted for the fall.  It's crazy that a sub compact tractor starts around 15 grand these days, I think this tractor is way more bang for the buck and if it has been well maintained should be just as, if not more reliable. Like grumpy said, a new 2000 dollar tractor won't do nearly as much work, unless you have a desperate need to pull around a garden cart all the time. Thanks again folks. I'll let you know how it turns out.

• MH81 and Bill 76 have said thanks

#12 dirtcaptain OFFLINE  

• 7 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted September 03, 2014 - 04:44 PM

I went by and checked it out today, and I think I'm going to buy it.  The motor started right up and sounded good.  It has a couple of minor modifications. He moved the hydraulic tank so the control arm could be moved in . It had been rubbing the right rear tire. The brackets on the front were added to carry a counterweight. It does have the dual tranny and three point hitch. It went into gear smoothly and rode really nice, though the clutch may need some adjustment. It really lurched on takeoff--no big deal. The hydraulics lifted and lowered the blade very smoothly. I will apparently need to buy a pulley to run the mower.  The rototiller is a large cumbersome beast, but man do I love to see old, overengineered implements with stout gear boxes and real steel!  My only (minor) concern was as it sat and idled for a while it acted like it wanted to die. Bumped the throttle up and it ran nice for a minute then acted like it wanted to die again. I noticed the fuel line ran close to the exhaust.  Don't know if that had something to do with it or if the carb just needs a little tweak.  Other than that, it seems to be a very sound little tractor.

Edited by dirtcaptain, September 03, 2014 - 05:02 PM.

• olcowhand said thank you

#13 EconChuck OFFLINE  

• Member No: 18979
  • 245 Thanks
  • 285 posts

Posted September 03, 2014 - 06:50 PM

There is no adjustment for the clutch. It does sound like it is working properly though.
It will take some practice to get your technique down for smooth operation

Good luck.

#14 icpik OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8205
  • 21 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted September 03, 2014 - 07:02 PM

The control arm should not rub the tire, but that may be because he has the wheel mounted in the most narrow track.  When shifting, you have to let the the gears spin up or down.  They will grind if you shift too fast.  Pretty much have to come to a stop when shifting to prevent grinding.  They all lurch when letting the clutch out.  Lets you know everything is good--not to get over confident and think you are in charge.  You will figure it out.  The pulley you need may be the entire mule.  It hangs under the front and redirects the belt from the front PTO to the pulley on the mower.

Don Hayes