41 replies to this topic

#31 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted August 29, 2014 - 05:51 PM

Every so often the battery/and /or hybrid technology will progress enough to meet the current safety standards in real time . Of course rescue methods have to taught to appropriate people also .

These discussions were held back in late 60 's  .   The question of who killed the electric car is moot to me .

• toomanytoys84 said thank you

#32 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,081 posts

Posted August 29, 2014 - 06:18 PM

Personally ive had enough with newer GM's my wifes malibu an my grand am are both on the current recall an neither of us have got our letters for the ignition recall. I've always been for or jeep myself but have been looking at pre 90's chevys an dodges. If i was to buy new it would be a Toyota Tacoma.

my mom got her letter. But the parts are on backorder.

my next vehicle will be an extend cab 4.0 v6 tacoma standard.

Edited by toomanytoys84, August 29, 2014 - 06:59 PM.

#33 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted August 29, 2014 - 06:24 PM

With my wife being pregnant I dont feel comfortable with her driving the Malibu. I would like to get her a grand Cherokee an ive been looking at broncos an pre 90 suburbans

#34 JohnWR ONLINE  

JohnWR
  • Member No: 34556
  • 322 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted August 29, 2014 - 09:06 PM

Yes, it's the labor, the convoluted way you have to get to the Toyota tensioner is the difference. As for content, it's a tricky business, often the call a part foreign/American made, when the contents of the part it's self are from all over. We live in a multi national society.

Thank god they ditched that horrible set up on 2AZ-FE motors and Corolla 1ZZ motors. The newer 2AR-FE are good other than bad water pumps going bad and cooking motors.

#35 JohnWR ONLINE  

JohnWR
  • 322 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted August 29, 2014 - 09:11 PM

my mom got her letter. But the parts are on backorder.

my next vehicle will be an extend cab 4.0 v6 tacoma standard.

I would love one of these Taco's can't wait till we start receiving them we have 15 on order.2015-toyota-tacoma-trd-pro-front-side-view.jpg

#36 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,081 posts

Posted August 29, 2014 - 09:12 PM

Thank god they ditched that horrible set up on 2AZ-FE motors and Corolla 1ZZ motors. The newer 2AR-FE are good other than bad water pumps going bad and cooking motors.

I read about that when I was buying my camry. 2009 was the only year listed as having that problem. That was the first year for the 2az-fe motor I believe.

#37 JohnWR ONLINE  

JohnWR
  • 322 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted August 29, 2014 - 09:26 PM

I read about that when I was buying my camry. 2009 was the only year listed as having that problem. That was the first year for the 2az-fe motor I believe.

I wouldn't stress it we see it more in Scion TC's and i feel it's due to most kids ignore the water pump screaming or the pink crud on the hood from the belt spraying it. Though we did due a 2011 that had 75,000 miles but they bought certified so Extra care put a new short block in it and we had the head decked. New camrys are great cars we haven't seen issues with other than the massive amounts of recalls. And 2012's have a torque converter shutter issue that covered under 5/60 or extended warranty.

• toppop52 said thank you

#38 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,509 Thanks
  • 3,387 posts

Posted August 30, 2014 - 07:28 AM

The only Toyotas we sell are 3-8 years old as a rule, so we aren't seeing the newer ones yet. The trade in's are usually in 90k-120k range and need quite a bit of service by then, as do most other makes.

As for the new trucks, the new Colorado also appears to be a very high content, well built truck, but time will tell.

#39 freedhardwoods OFFLINE  

freedhardwoods
  • Member No: 47074
  • 374 Thanks
  • 197 posts

Posted August 30, 2014 - 10:49 AM

The only new vehicle i've ever bought was my '78 Chevy pickup that I still drive. I will never buy any government choked up new vehicle, especially a hybrid. When I do look for a vehicle, I don't look at anything except Ford, Chevy, or Dodge.

The most I have ever spent on a family car is $5,000. Any vehicle I buy, I go through completely and change and flush all fluids. Our current car is a one owner, '88 Chevy Caprice that I bought 4 years ago for $2300. It has a carburetor and gets about 20 mpg. I haven't had any problems with it. I don't even have to put a pencil to it to know I'm saving money over a new car.

Edited by freedhardwoods, August 30, 2014 - 11:11 AM.

• toppop52 said thank you

#40 JohnWR ONLINE  

JohnWR
  • 322 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted August 30, 2014 - 09:08 PM

Truth be hold I'm american as it gets. I've had just about every brand of truck or been around them as I work construction and have a horse farm. If you want a truck to haul your kids to the grocery store buy a Toyota or nissan. If you wanna pull a trailer or a real load buy american! I can take my hands on the bed rail of a Toyota Tacoma and twist the top rail even the big bad tundra with no boxed frame etc. I have 3 work trucks. 2000 dodge cummins, 2009 chevy duramax and a 2006 gmc duramax all work on farm. Haul hay pull 5th wheels and never give a bit of problem. They all get 20mpg. There's a reason Toyota and nissan don't have a heavy duty truck because they can't even make a light duty. They are for soccer mom's and hauling pansies from the local nursery.

I'll agree on full size trucks. Last week i had a 12 Tundra with a 5th wheel hitch in the bed and the customer complaint was when towing my 14,000 pound trailer my brakes smoke :wallbanging: He was not pleased when i gave him directions to the local chevy dealer and told him to buy a real truck. Now for mid sized trucks there is a reason toyota killed the competition it's cause tacomas are only killed by rust and nothing else.

Edited by JohnWR, August 30, 2014 - 09:08 PM.

#41 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,081 posts

Posted August 30, 2014 - 09:14 PM

I agree on the full size. I dont like anything about the tundra.

if I were to purchase a full size it would be a ram 3/4 ton diesel.

#42 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,081 posts

Posted August 30, 2014 - 09:16 PM

I would love one of these Taco's can't wait till we start receiving them we have 15 on order. 2015-toyota-tacoma-trd-pro-front-side-view.jpg

that trd pro is amazing. I want one....