#16 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted August 28, 2014 - 04:37 PM

You guys are ALL wrong!  All foreign cars you like here, shame on you. Get a good Malibu or  Ford something and keep it American, the H with the Jap junk!  (From UAW worker!). 

• toomanytoys84 said thank you

#17 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted August 28, 2014 - 04:39 PM

The same friend who got the Honda civic hybrid now has a kia soul. She loves it!!! They are leasing it for $120 monthly I think, but they had a great trade and super credit. I have to admit the soul is a neat little car, rides awesome and lots of room. Just some food for thought
Pete

We looked at the kia soul. We have a kia forte now. At 116,000 it is wore out. The struts are bad. The sway bar links are shot. The thing rattles all over. It has 2 oil leaks. One behind the crank pulley and on the oil pan.

I'm done with kia. It ran great until just recently. The cars look good and run nice but don't have long term reliability.

Edited by toomanytoys84, August 28, 2014 - 04:47 PM.

#18 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted August 28, 2014 - 04:42 PM

You guys are ALL wrong! All foreign cars you like here, shame on you. Get a good Malibu or Ford something and keep it American, the H with the Jap junk! (From UAW worker!).

Been there done that got a sticker for it. Done with Chevy ford and dodge.

Malibu all the heater controls and ac with the fancy climate control went bad. Went through front brakes like crazy. Terrible build quality. Uneven door gaps. Trunk leaked. I could go on and on with that pos. All before 50,000 miles. Glad that thing is gone.

Cobalt same junk but cheaper. Control arm bushings. Engine problems. Chevy actually extended my bumper to bumper because it was such a pos.

My mom had Taurus. Garbage. Rusted all over. Door panels fell off inside. Brakes constantly wearing out.

Dad had a fusion. Rust. Wheel bearings and idling problems.

Nothing but toyota or honda for me. If you want a car that will last buy an import.

Edited by toomanytoys84, August 28, 2014 - 04:46 PM.

#19 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted August 28, 2014 - 05:06 PM

Always GM here, never major problems on anything I've had. Maybe some are just Hard on any brand in way they drive or use?? I keep mine for 5 years or so, and go on to new.  My truck tho is an 03, but still pretty nice, and I pull trailers all the time and it keeps on keepin' on!  All cars are having issues now days, too many gadgets that can go wrong. Need less featured stuff, but makers say no one will buy those kind and want all the goodies anymore. Makes buying stuff from cheapest source, no matter what, not making their own parts anymore like in past.  Think that is part of issues on durabilitly.  

• grnspot110, toomanytoys84 and Bill 76 have said thanks

#20 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,645 Thanks
  • 1,059 posts

Posted August 28, 2014 - 05:58 PM

I have a hard enought time prying $100 out of my wallet for a truck battery every 5 years,Think it would kill me to buy a battery pack for a hybrid.

#21 JohnWR OFFLINE  

JohnWR
  • Member No: 34556
  • 322 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted August 28, 2014 - 06:00 PM

I looked at that.  Only thing I could find was for plug in hybrids.  I don't think a prius is a plug in hybrid.  Tax credit would be hard to calculate because it would depend on a lot of factors. 

The less you drive the less the savings.  The more you drive the more the savings. 

We already have a Camry.  I have a 2012 Camry SE 4 cylinder.  I average 30 to 34mpg depending on conditions, and my foot.

She wants a new car, she really needs a new car, but she won't pick something that I can get behind.  We are not the type to drop 50 grand on a car.  I want her to get a small used SUV for 20k or less.

The standard prius comes in a Plug in model granted on EV mode you can only drive like 11 miles till the gas engine kicks in but charging at home lets the engine run less and they say that way you can get to a 95 MPG combined with charging and gas. Last year i turned down a 99 dollar lease to employees from corporate Toyota i regret that now. 

You forgot the replacement cost of the battery bank in the rear of the Prius as well not sure how long they are good for but i know are costly to replace. An to achieve the high mpg you have to purchase certain tires for the Prius.( I worked at a toyota dealer for awhile)

In almost 5 years i've only ever seen 3 prius need batterys 1 first gen that really did die and 2 second gens that has been hit real hard in the rear and toyota warranted both of these. I did an oil change on a 11 prius today that had 279,000 and still had the original drive train and battery pack. The eco tires is a hit or miss they come with them and we do offer them but most people put normal tires on and never see a noticeable loss.

For the guy that recommended a TDI i agree i work for toyota and they have a nice product i owned a FJ cruise and loved it. My beater in a 98 Jetta tdi that the Odometer has rolled over at least once and currently reads 228,000 slow but gets 48 MPG.

#22 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,645 Thanks
  • 1,059 posts

Posted August 28, 2014 - 06:21 PM

Always GM here, never major problems on anything I've had. Maybe some are just Hard on any brand in way they drive or use?? I keep mine for 5 years or so, and go on to new.  My truck tho is an 03, but still pretty nice, and I pull trailers all the time and it keeps on keepin' on!  All cars are having issues now days, too many gadgets that can go wrong. Need less featured stuff, but makers say no one will buy those kind and want all the goodies anymore. Makes buying stuff from cheapest source, no matter what, not making their own parts anymore like in past.  Think that is part of issues on durabilitly.  

Grumpy you hit the nail on the head---to many gadgets and outscourcing of parts.Dpw friend of mine had a cop car come in with brake problems at 13000 miles,he pulled off the front wheels and pads and rotors were shot,turns out they gave up during a high speed chase----He showed me the new parts in the motorcraft boxes right from ford -----I was floored,stamped on the boxes was made in china.And it goes on and on.

#23 js5020 ONLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted August 28, 2014 - 09:43 PM

Hmmm I really dislike anything made today by most makers, in fact the last new vehicle was a KIA and had very good service from it, its a world market now and I have no allegiance to the "top 3" as none are truly made in the US anyways.  For my personal vehicle I like Jeep, but Chrysler has pretty much soccer momed and cheaped out bout all the models. Sooo my next personal vehicle is in the shop now getting a going over a 79 CJ5, and Im already looking for a CJ8 to replace the KIA,,,, sorry I will not be buying any more new pieces of electronic gizwads.

• toomanytoys84 and freedhardwoods have said thanks

#24 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,506 Thanks
  • 3,386 posts

Posted August 29, 2014 - 06:28 AM

I'm going to go get in my Chevy "junk" and go to the office, '96 2 door Tahoe, 171000 miles, original spark plugs and wires, replaced 2 02 sensors, one tie rod end and the tires once, about due again, piece of crap!  I'm service manager of a multi brand dealership, I see them all. Honda and Toyota build good cars, but they are very expensive to work on and they do break, we just replaced a belt tensionor on a 4 cyl Camry with 110k miles, to the tune of $375, same job on a Malibu, $160.

#25 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • 3,506 Thanks
  • 3,386 posts

Posted August 29, 2014 - 06:30 AM

By the way, hybrids are only economical in short run driving, if you drive long distances a good economical gas or small diesel will give far better mpg.

#26 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 864 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted August 29, 2014 - 06:49 AM

I like the old American stuff also but then My dad fought the second world war in the Pacific and he would never let us forget the stuff they did and got away with that they hung Germans for doing.

I have a real nice third hand 1976 Chrysler Cordoba with 245,000 miles on it that starts every time. I have replaced the battery and tires since I bought it in 1985.

My 1974 Ford truck I bought new and has close to 200,000 on the trip meter now. I admit the engine that came in it was a oil burning hunk of junk that Ford refused to fix why my family no longer owns Fords.

Mom worked for AMC way back and even with the sale to Chrysler she was there. We mostly (the family) own Jeeps or Dodges. I have 177,000 on my 2004 3500 Cummins powered truck. Get 20 MPG even pulling the 22 ft enclosed trailer 70 MPH up and down the freeway. 

If I were going to buy furin it would be a VW TDI.

:D   Al

#27 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted August 29, 2014 - 07:16 AM

I'm going to go get in my Chevy "junk" and go to the office, '96 2 door Tahoe, 171000 miles, original spark plugs and wires, replaced 2 02 sensors, one tie rod end and the tires once, about due again, piece of crap!  I'm service manager of a multi brand dealership, I see them all. Honda and Toyota build good cars, but they are very expensive to work on and they do break, we just replaced a belt tensionor on a 4 cyl Camry with 110k miles, to the tune of $375, same job on a Malibu, $160.

Just curious here, 2012 Camary belt tensioner is 88 dollars and the 2012 Malibu is 65 dollars.  Random online part stores.

Why the huge price difference?  More labor time to change?

I never said they didn't break.  I said they are more better overall. 

Your 96 Tahoe is a different animal than a what is being made today.  Older Chevy trucks are great.

I did find an interesting website on parts content.  It is a news website and we know how news stations always report the "truth"

http://abcnews.go.co...n-made-13795239

Toyota Camary 80%

Chevy  Malibu 75%

Honda Civic 70%

Ford Focus 60%

Chevy Cruze 45%

Ford Fusion 20%!!!

Ford Fiesta 10%!!!!

Edited by toomanytoys84, August 29, 2014 - 07:20 AM.

• toppop52 said thank you

#28 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted August 29, 2014 - 08:28 AM

I just bought a new truck the american companies need to wake up and start offering the trucks consumers want. I went with a new nissan truck. Better warranty, rides better, fully loaded, 21 mpg and 10 grand cheaper than ford or chevy. And they seemed to want my business at the dealership

#29 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted August 29, 2014 - 09:36 AM

Personally ive had enough with newer GM's my wifes malibu an my grand am are both on the current recall an neither of us have got our letters for the ignition recall. I've always been for or jeep myself but have been looking at pre 90's chevys an dodges. If i was to buy new it would be a Toyota Tacoma.

#30 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • 3,506 Thanks
  • 3,386 posts

Posted August 29, 2014 - 05:31 PM

Just curious here, 2012 Camary belt tensioner is 88 dollars and the 2012 Malibu is 65 dollars.  Random online part stores.

Why the huge price difference?  More labor time to change?

I never said they didn't break.  I said they are more better overall. 

Your 96 Tahoe is a different animal than a what is being made today.  Older Chevy trucks are great.

I did find an interesting website on parts content.  It is a news website and we know how news stations always report the "truth"

http://abcnews.go.co...n-made-13795239

Toyota Camary 80%

Chevy  Malibu 75%

Honda Civic 70%

Ford Focus 60%

Chevy Cruze 45%

Ford Fusion 20%!!!

Ford Fiesta 10%!!!!

Yes, it's the labor, the convoluted way you have to get to the Toyota tensioner is the difference. As for content, it's a tricky business, often the call a part foreign/American made, when the contents of the part it's self are from all over. We live in a multi national society.