41 replies to this topic

#1 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted August 28, 2014 - 07:03 AM

My wife has been wanting a car for a while now but hasn't been able to decide what she wants.  One of her friends has a Prius V.  She rode in it and fell in love with it and the 45MPG.  So I sat down with a pencil and paper to figure out if it was really worth paying 32,000 dollars for a Prius.  She told me that the gas savings would pay the payment. 

She did not believe the results of my study.  Basic assumptions.  Of course the more you drove the Prius would come out ahead as the gas savings would start to play a bigger factor, but I chose the accepted average of 15,000 a year.  And she would not even hit 15,000.  Probably 5 to 8.

Rough Cost for a Prius V with good option package. 32,000

Rough Cost for Camary SE with a good option package. 25,000

Gas 3.50 a gallon.

Prius Break down

Payment 575 a month 60 months @ 3%

yearly operating cost to drive 15,000 miles a year at 3.50 per gallon of gas and 45MPG

1166 spent on gas, 6900 in payments. Total spent 8066 dollars.

Camary SE 4 cylinder breakdown

payment 449 a Month 60 months @ 3%.

yearly operating cost to drive 15,000 miles a year at 3.50 per gallon of gas and 30MPG

1750 spent on gas, 5388 in payments. Total cost 7138 dollars

Over the course of the 5 year loan?

40,330 to drive prius 75,000 miles
35,690 to drive camry 75,000 miles.

Edited by toomanytoys84, August 28, 2014 - 07:04 AM.

• Alc, hamman, tinbender7 and 4 others have said thanks

#2 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted August 28, 2014 - 07:27 AM

+ the prius has to be one of the ugliest looking cars on the road. A friend has a chevy volt they really like it.

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,770 Thanks
  • 7,537 posts

Posted August 28, 2014 - 07:31 AM

That is not allowed! You are being rational. If everybody was rational then where would this country be?

The numbers would be alot worse if you calculated it at 10k miles per year. Then if you factor in the new batteries that they seem to need at 5 years it will be even more. I've seen Priuses do well for people that drive 25k + miles per year and then trade them in just before the batteries needed replacing(which may be a dealer problem). Good Luck, Rick

• Alc, superaben, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#4 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,617 Thanks
  • 3,914 posts

Posted August 28, 2014 - 07:38 AM

Electric equipped cars are much more dangerous in a crash too.  Buy the Camry.

#5 framesteer OFFLINE  

framesteer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11301
  • 331 Thanks
  • 164 posts

Posted August 28, 2014 - 08:14 AM

Not a hybrid fan, but there are some tax advantages to hybrid cars that should be included in your study.

• Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#6 twostacks OFFLINE  

twostacks

• Member No: 6470
  • 447 Thanks
  • 426 posts

Posted August 28, 2014 - 08:20 AM

I've also heard that fuel efficient cars like the Camry produce less emissions over their lifespan than is produced in the manufacturing process of the Prius and it's batteries. I wonder how true that is?
  • boyscout862 and freedhardwoods have said thanks

#7 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 863 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted August 28, 2014 - 08:24 AM

I looked to see where you live. Friend had a hybred Ford, his job moved him to N. Dakotas. Said the battery life just sucked when it got cold out. Could only get them to last about a quarter of what they would in the summer heat. He went to trade it in on a new one and UP there they didn't want it very bad. Came back to Michigan to trade it off on a new Gasser.

:D Al

Edited by alleyyooper, August 28, 2014 - 08:26 AM.

• Alc said thank you

#8 panzersarebest OFFLINE  

panzersarebest
  • Member No: 36584
  • 523 Thanks
  • 407 posts

Posted August 28, 2014 - 08:43 AM

My brother has a 2006 Volkswagen Tdi Jetta, that gets 45 Mpg with. Tdi Jettas are great cars from what I hear from people.

• Alc said thank you

#9 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted August 28, 2014 - 08:55 AM

Alot of states are jacking up registration fees too since you dont pay as much gas tax

#10 js5020 ONLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted August 28, 2014 - 09:10 AM

It seems any possible savings on the fuel gets sucked up by the equipment surcharge.  Back several years ago I believe it was consumer reports that did a piece on new gas vs diesel pick up cost,,, their findings were that one would have to drive the new diesel for 200k before saving one dime, and this was mostly due to equipment surcharges.

• Alc said thank you

#11 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted August 28, 2014 - 09:41 AM

the same cars made in the USA and shipped oversea get more than twice the mpg than the same car you buy in the USA

• GTTinkerer said thank you

#12 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted August 28, 2014 - 10:12 AM

Two very good friend's of mine got new cars within the same time frame, say two or three months.  Eva (friends wife) went out and got a new Honda civic hybrid, bob (other good friend) got a Honda civic hatch back sports addition.  the hybrid was well over $40k and was very nice, all the bells and whistles but only got 45mpg on the hi end and up here in the northeast with all the hills and valleys that wasn't very often, the civic hatch was also very nice but had way more power, much more fun to drive and got 35 mpg on the low end, even beating it around the hills in our area it would still do 30 mpg, and that was only  $25k I think, fully loaded with al the bells a whistle's. 

I love the idea of a hybrid or electric car, I think that someday we will all be driving them and charging them from the solar panels on the roof but for now I don't see any benefit.  The cost of buying and maintain them is to great, plus the battery's are very hard to make and need to be replaced. 

Pete

• Alc and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#13 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted August 28, 2014 - 11:23 AM

Not a hybrid fan, but there are some tax advantages to hybrid cars that should be included in your study.

I looked at that.  Only thing I could find was for plug in hybrids.  I don't think a prius is a plug in hybrid.  Tax credit would be hard to calculate because it would depend on a lot of factors. 

The less you drive the less the savings.  The more you drive the more the savings. 

We already have a Camry.  I have a 2012 Camry SE 4 cylinder.  I average 30 to 34mpg depending on conditions, and my foot.

She wants a new car, she really needs a new car, but she won't pick something that I can get behind.  We are not the type to drop 50 grand on a car.  I want her to get a small used SUV for 20k or less.

#14 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted August 28, 2014 - 01:43 PM

You forgot the replacement cost of the battery bank in the rear of the Prius as well not sure how long they are good for but i know are costly to replace. An to achieve the high mpg you have to purchase certain tires for the Prius.( I worked at a toyota dealer for awhile)

#15 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted August 28, 2014 - 03:01 PM

The same friend who got the Honda civic hybrid now has a kia soul.  She loves it!!!  They are leasing it for $120 monthly I think, but they had a great trade and super credit.  I have to admit the soul is a neat little car, rides awesome and lots of room.  Just some food for thought

Pete