Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Ebay Is Killing Me! (Sorry 'bout The Rant)

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 plowboy OFFLINE  

plowboy

TRACTOROLOGIST

• Contributor
  • Member No: 7340
  • 133 Thanks
  • 229 posts

Posted August 28, 2014 - 04:43 AM

I spend near a thousand a month on ebay, amazon, etc.  Between parts for the mowers, maintenance for ALL the equipment, shop materials......it never ends.  I do save a lot of money doing it that way and the receipts are much easier to keep track of for my accountant for the business.  Lately, ebay has become a train wreck.  You never know who an item is being shipped by (ups, fedex, usps) and the tracking gets worse daily.  Example: One of my mowers is a Great Dane Super Surfer Series 2 stander.  It was owned years ago by John Deere so that's what all the part numbers reference too.  Well they eventually were sold to gravely and discontinued a couple years ago.  Mine is a 2006 and has 700+ hours on it so that's why I keep it.  Anyway, I needed a tension spring for the deck.  ONLY ONE person listed it on ebay.  I ordered (2) and a week later they still showed as "departed Swainsboro GA".  I contacted seller, he said he would ship a couple more only thru UPS instead of USPS.  Well about 6 days later I received the package.  Inside were (3) disc harrow blade scrappers.  UMMMMM, wth?!?! Soooooo, now he claims he is sorry for the headaches and will get (3) "springs" sent to me.  In the meantime, I finally found a JD dealer that was able to locate a spring and had it overnighted to me......  Sorry about the long rant; it was easier than turning the disc harrow scrappers into frizbees........

• MH81, Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and 7 others have said thanks

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 28, 2014 - 05:42 AM

I have found that the JD parts network is excellent and sometimes the prices are the same or cheaper than other shops in the area. I can routinely get any in stock part in 3 business days even though I am in Nova Scotia at the extreme edge of the continent. The problem with JD is that when parts inventory falls off on an older part they increase the prices making some parts hard to afford. I guess that's a problem with most companies. I don't use Ebay much but shipping can be a real pain, in the posterior as well as the wallet no matter who you deal with. And here in Canada we get nailed on brokerage fees for US purchases. I've had 75$ worth of parts end up costing 200$ by the time all the shipping , fees and taxes are added in.

• HDWildBill said thank you

#3 Arti OFFLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,288 Thanks
  • 962 posts

Posted August 28, 2014 - 06:04 AM

I find myself using Ebay less, It's getting harder to find what u want, prices are less competitive and the service gets poorer.

Also it's gotten down right annoying, I really don't need the popups telling me that 1 person has looked at it in the last hour, That was me by the way, so slow at times that pages take forever to load, I used to sell on Ebay but it's not really worth it anymore, low listing fee to reel u in and then take all my money for seller fees,paypal etc. my list of annoyances goes on.

• boyscout862, LilysDad, HANKG and 1 other said thanks

#4 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted August 28, 2014 - 06:33 AM

Agreed!!!!!!!!!!  E-bay is getting out of hand, I think some of it is the sellers and shipping outfits but allot of it is e-bay as a whole.  I sell lots of stuff on e-bay and the fees at the end of the day are borderline to making it not worth while.  I have raised the prices on what I sell to cover the fee's but the higher the price the higher the fee :mad2:  Eventually I will just give up on it and start my own web site or something.  You are not alone in your frustration.

Pete

• boyscout862 said thank you

#5 cootertom OFFLINE  

cootertom
  • Member No: 59950
  • 1,326 Thanks
  • 718 posts

Posted August 28, 2014 - 06:43 AM

Ebay and Wal Mart both are turning to garbage. I find myself staying away from both more and more. I use to sell on Ebay a lot but I quit about 4 years ago.

• HDWildBill, boyscout862 and Bill 76 have said thanks

#6 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,409 Thanks
  • 3,159 posts

Posted August 28, 2014 - 07:10 AM

Same here ! I used to sell on flea bag too but fees ... Dang then the other fella uses a credit card on pay enemy and you get whacked with 2 more fees... No more. Even Amazon is getting tougher with shipping but it seems only on heavy items. I get most all my goodies from them or directly from a supplier. One of my suppliers uses the local JD dealer as their warehouse way nice as Ican ddrive over and get my goodies if I'm in a hurry as long as they are in stock of coarse.

#7 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,684 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted August 28, 2014 - 07:14 AM

Maintenance is all part of the hobby/job! It costs money to keep machines running their best.

Ebay is what you make of it, I stay away from the real big retailers as they sell mostly crap anyway and charge an arm and leg for shipping.

If the seller is a competent person you should know exactly where , how and when the item is being shipped. You can often tell carriers by  the tracking code.

Everyone complains about ebay , but where else are you going to find  hard to find parts or have a large market place to attract potential buyers, a website can takes many years to even appear in search result rankings!

• GTTinkerer, HDWildBill, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#8 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,409 Thanks
  • 3,159 posts

Posted August 28, 2014 - 07:33 AM

, a website can takes many years to even appear in search result rankings!

Not if you pay for it! Its an option you have when you list your domain ;-)

#9 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,735 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted August 28, 2014 - 07:56 AM

I never buy from eBay, I order my trailer tires off there once a year but that's it.

I use to buy from eBay a lot but anymore everything is to high priced and EVERYTHING is "BUY IT NOW" and no longer the auction style.

• Bill 76 said thank you

#10 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,643 Thanks
  • 7,673 posts

Posted August 28, 2014 - 08:25 AM

How come other websites like Kijiji never grow to compete with fbay? Anyone use them?

And another thing! I'm tired of being asked to rate everything. I used a Kindle to down load a book to read. After a few days, I was asked to rate the book!

#11 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted August 28, 2014 - 09:35 AM

The fees come out to about 13%.  If I cant sell items locally then id rather loose the 13% then have something sitting on the shelf.  EBay has nothing to do with the shipping.  That's all Seller.  I have noticed that eBays tracking info isn't up to date so I always check with UPS or USPS directly from their site.  I don't think ive ever been on Kijiji.  I may check them out and list things there before ePay.

• GTTinkerer said thank you

#12 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted August 28, 2014 - 09:37 AM

When I use Kijiji it comes up as eBayclassifieds. 

• GTTinkerer said thank you

#13 Sawdust ONLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted August 28, 2014 - 05:43 PM

I think USPS is the worse way to ship. I have had a package long before their tracking said it was delivered. I served an eighteen month tenure on the federal grand jury a few years ago & without going into detail its a wonder we get any USPS mail at all. You really can't blame ebay for the sellers shipping. I try to use the same suppliers when it comes to parts.

#14 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,727 Thanks
  • 8,908 posts

Posted August 28, 2014 - 07:32 PM

I'm tired of being asked to rate everything. I used a Kindle to down load a book to read. After a few days, I was asked to rate the book!

They know how much you read in the winter, is all.

#15 Lauber1 ONLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,451 Thanks
  • 2,800 posts

Posted August 28, 2014 - 07:43 PM

I only use ebay now days as a resource for items built. Its full of pictures and things. Most of the time the sellers don't even know what it is there selling, so getting any info is pretty much a waste of time. You can see a lot of things from just a picture.  I have more luck with Craigslist on getting tractors and attachments. Doing a country wide search usually turns up several new thing a month.

• Sawdust said thank you