• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ktznz OFFLINE  

ktznz
  • Member No: 61792
  • 63 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted August 27, 2014 - 10:35 PM

While returning from the dentist today, I stopped and looked at the garden tractor again. I have no idea of the going price, but it has a 42" 3 blade and needs a throw out bearing. The lights work, but needs a full sized 12 volt battery. I have no idea of the going price for one of these, but I know he had it listed for $500.00, then reduced it to $400.00. Today, he stated that someone told him to list it for $1200.00.  What would be a ballpark value for it? I do know he states it is a 1967, but the engine number shows a 1970 date.  Thanks, ken

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted August 27, 2014 - 10:50 PM

I would say it's a 1970 or possibly a 71. I think it's high at $400.00, but I'm cheap. :smilewink:  I gave $300.00 for my Whites 990 ant it needed a bearing in the mower deck, but that was it. It's all up to what you are comfortable with spending. If it's in really nice shape, it might be worth it. I can say one thing, you won't buy another box store mower again after owning and using one of these heavy well built garden tractors. I need to check and see if it has the same throw out bearing as the Power King and Bush Hog tractors use?

#3 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted August 27, 2014 - 11:06 PM

I would say that with a bad throw-out bearing, you really have no idea what else may be wrong just in that one area.  Has the bearing spun or galled other parts, requiring a larger investment tracking down supplies and paying for parts?  You'll have to lay out 50+ dollars for that battery as well.  I'd be darned if I'd pay him $1200 after he obviously hasn't sold it for $400.  Show up with $300 and fan them out nice and pretty, see if he'll do the deal.

• Texas Deere and Horse and ktznz have said thanks

#4 ktznz OFFLINE  

ktznz
  • 63 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted August 27, 2014 - 11:41 PM

I would say that with a bad throw-out bearing, you really have no idea what else may be wrong just in that one area.  Has the bearing spun or galled other parts, requiring a larger investment tracking down supplies and paying for parts?  You'll have to lay out 50+ dollars for that battery as well.  I'd be darned if I'd pay him $1200 after he obviously hasn't sold it for $400.  Show up with $300 and fan them out nice and pretty, see if he'll do the deal.

Well, I have a dual axle 18 foot utility trailer that he needs, but he only wants to value it at $600.00. It, too, needs work....install planking that is stacked on it and needs a couple of tires.  

#5 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted August 28, 2014 - 12:11 AM

Well, I have a dual axle 18 foot utility trailer that he needs, but he only wants to value it at $600.00. It, too, needs work....install planking that is stacked on it and needs a couple of tires.  

I'm sure your trailer is worth a whole lot more then that. Ask him to find one like it for that kind of money.

#6 Bunker Buster OFFLINE  

Bunker Buster
  • Member No: 45149
  • 56 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted August 28, 2014 - 07:26 AM

I agree.  You'd be giving away that trailer for a $600 value.  Even if it does need boards and tires.

#7 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted August 28, 2014 - 09:54 AM

I would say it's a 1970 or possibly a 71. I think it's high at $400.00, but I'm cheap. :smilewink:

I'm with you.  It's either a '70 or '71 as MTD lists no manual for a 960 prior to '70 and it would be a 15hp in '72.  From looking at the clutch breakdowns in the manual, if it's only the bearing that's bad, I strongly suspect it will be a fairly standard bearing that any bearing supply house should be able to source.  Of course that could be completely wrong also.  :D  Is the bearing just noisy and you can run and drive it?  Or are we talking that it can't be run and tested?

I also think $400 is pretty high.  The gear drive MTDs seem to be far less common than the hydros but at the same time they tend to bring less around here.  That would sit forever at $400 here, and probably $300 as well.  I gave under $300 for my 860 and that was with a set of factory wheel weights I valued at $100.

And I agree with everyone else that your trailer is worth more.  Around here used trailers seem to bring stupid money.  If it's nice they often sell just under the price of a new one which makes no sense to me.  Even needing a deck and tires, a dual axle 18ft would probably bring over $1000 locally.  A quick check of our local CL shows similar used trailers in better shape listing around $2000-$2500 depending on weight rating.

Edited by Canawler, August 28, 2014 - 10:02 AM.

#8 ktznz OFFLINE  

ktznz
  • 63 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted August 29, 2014 - 09:48 PM

Thanks Bunker Buster and Canawler for replying about my trailer.

Well my gut feel has been supported by you; I suggested $1000 for my trailer.

HowardsMF155 and Canawler:

I, too factored in additional expenses for new battery and throw out bearing. What I found concerning the throw out bearing is that it mas be around $50.00 plus for it. Then there may be other parts required or need to be replaced. I mentioned that the tractor will start and the owner stated that it can be put in gear and then started so that grass can be cut. But I know part of the carb is missing and taped over, the choke cable is missing. I may just keep looking ti try to find another comparable machine. The throw out bearing is just hanging on the shaft, the inside has eroded away. I found a similar cub cadet that had been seperated for throw out bearing replacement. I have a picture of what the remainder of the throw out bearing  looks like, but have not learned how to upload yet.

I will coontinue to review the situation and keep the forum informed of status and final decision. Thanks everyone, ken

#9 VTXrider OFFLINE  

VTXrider
  • Member No: 16031
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted August 30, 2014 - 06:53 AM

I have a picture of what the remainder of the throw out bearing  looks like, but have not learned how to upload yet.

Below the reply box next to the "post" button, click on the "more reply options" button to access the upload of pictures and an enhanced reply box. Scroll down to choose the file then after the file name is listed, click "attach this file" button. Good to go.

Edited by VTXrider, August 30, 2014 - 06:56 AM.

• ktznz said thank you

#10 ktznz OFFLINE  

ktznz
  • 63 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted August 30, 2014 - 01:54 PM

Here are some pics of the cadet throwo out bearing that looks exactly like the MTD 14 hp bearing, plus a few pics up close of the 14 hp GT. Color is  light green. ken

Attached Thumbnails

• cadet_TO_bearing.jpg
  • tt_14hp_ranger_dash.JPG
  • tt_14hp_ranger_shifter.JPG
  • tt_14hp_ranger_rt_side.JPG

#11 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted August 30, 2014 - 03:35 PM

The plastic dash appears to be in good shape. How is the other side, any broke or cracked places?

#12 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,300 Thanks
  • 2,334 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 04:10 PM

Looks like it has sat for a few years.Is he sure that the Bearing is bad?If it was sitting then the Clutch material is more than likely stuck to the clutch disk.The throw out bearing may not be the problem.

My Fourteen Hundred clutch disk was stuck when I got it and it was starting to stick again after letting it sit for about 2 years.So it doesn't take very long for them to start to stick.

With the Clutch pedal pushed down as far as it will go take a straight screw driver and GENTLY pry the clutch pad away from the rear disk.The clutch material is Alot more brittle than you may realize and will Shatter or crack pretty easy.So take your time.After that Start the tractor up and put it in 4th gear and Ease the clutch out Slowly.It will clean up both the Clutch and the Disk.

• ktznz said thank you

#13 ktznz OFFLINE  

ktznz
  • 63 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 05:27 PM

Looks like it has sat for a few years.Is he sure that the Bearing is bad?If it was sitting then the Clutch material is more than likely stuck to the clutch disk.The throw out bearing may not be the problem.

My Fourteen Hundred clutch disk was stuck when I got it and it was starting to stick again after letting it sit for about 2 years.So it doesn't take very long for them to start to stick.

With the Clutch pedal pushed down as far as it will go take a straight screw driver and GENTLY pry the clutch pad away from the rear disk.The clutch material is Alot more brittle than you may realize and will Shatter or crack pretty easy.So take your time.After that Start the tractor up and put it in 4th gear and Ease the clutch out Slowly.It will clean up both the Clutch and the Disk.

The tractor runs and mows, but you have to put it in gear and then get it started. The throwout bearing is hollowed out similar to the picture I posted earlier of a bad cub cadet bearing. I have another dental appoinment coming in the next day or so and will bqck in the area of the tractor. I will make my last offer and thenlook elsewhere if there is no deal. The owner still has not found a replacement bearing and I believe that ithe tractor must be split to get the bearing off so that the shell can be taken to a bearing shop to find a replacement.

• EricFromPa said thank you