Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

What are some of the easiest things to grow for your first garden?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 03, 2010 - 11:19 AM

I don't know if I will be able to do a garden this year or not but I wanted to find out what some of the easiest crops/plants would be to plant the first time around and have it turn out to be a success rather then a bunch of withered plants that died LOL

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted March 03, 2010 - 05:46 PM

Green beans, sweet peas, tomatoes, carrots

I know there are more that are easy to maintain, but My Brain is not working right now LOL:brain_fart:

#3 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted March 03, 2010 - 06:40 PM

Potatoes are pretty easy...........Most veggies are not hard, just have to plant them at the right depth (instructions are on the package), keep watered and weeded.......

#4 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted March 03, 2010 - 06:47 PM

Green beans, sweet peas, tomatoes, carrots

I know there are more that are easy to maintain, but My Brain is not working right now LOL:brain_fart:

I'll ad onions to the list. They'll grow just about anywhere, with very little care. Radishes are another. You can plant'em, real early, and be eating them way before the other veggies are ready.

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 03, 2010 - 08:49 PM

In my parts, potato beetles really make it hard raising spuds. I think sweet corn is easy if wind doesn't blow it down. Green beans are a snap (pun intended LOL)! You have to be sure to dust green beans with "Sevin" or other bug buster after they emerge. They are really susceptible to bug damage at young age. After they get some size, dusting isn't "as" critical, but still needed. Cutworms will bite them off near the ground when young.
Agree on the radish & onion...very easy.

#6 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted March 03, 2010 - 08:55 PM

Here's a couple of links........

Vegetable Gardening Basics - Watch Your Garden Grow - University of Illinois Extension

Helpful Gardener Garden Forum - A friendly place to chat about gardening.

#7 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 05, 2010 - 02:14 PM

Thanks for all the info, I don't know if we will be able to make an attempt at a garden this year or not. Might have to wait till next year. I really need to find a tiller.

#8 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted March 05, 2010 - 03:55 PM

Thanks for all the info, I don't know if we will be able to make an attempt at a garden this year or not. Might have to wait till next year. I really need to find a tiller.

Get a tiller attachment for one of the Bolens.....

#9 Guest_James66_*

Guest_James66_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 06, 2010 - 07:50 AM

I thought one of you party people would of said. one of them tall green 5 leaf plants, :bounce: you all know what I'm talking about James:laughingteeth:

#10 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted March 06, 2010 - 08:47 AM

I thought one of you party people would of said. one of them tall green 5 leaf plants, :bounce: you all know what I'm talking about James:laughingteeth:

:say_what::wtf:

:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

#11 SandburRanch ONLINE  

SandburRanch

• Member No: 835
  • 0 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted September 11, 2010 - 10:15 PM

I don't know if I will be able to do a garden this year or not but I wanted to find out what some of the easiest crops/plants would be to plant the first time around and have it turn out to be a success rather then a bunch of withered plants that died LOL

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If one is inclined to use garlic for cooking, I find it the easiest of all garden plants I've ever tried. I don't mess with that little stuff but raise a variety called elephant garlic. It is real mild and the garlic X-perts claim it is really a Leek. It can be planted now thru October or even later but I find it does better planted a little earlier. Plant the cloves and cover with about a foot of straw and then maintain 6 inches of mulch. No weeding and no water needed unless it is exceptionally dry in May and June. Harvest in late June. The three stages in the pics are bolting, bloom and cloves at harvest time. If one can't grow garlic he needs to seriously consider giving up gardening.:bigrofl:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#12 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,075 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted September 12, 2010 - 08:36 AM

Thats a very nice looking garlic.On another note the easiest thing to grow around here is you guessed it weeds [I don't even have to plant them] LOL Larry

#13 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,311 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted September 12, 2010 - 10:26 AM

I agree with the above that they're all pretty easy, Tomatoes need cages or stakes, some years beans want them too. I have had very good luck with potatoes (good drainage) and swiss chard to add a couple to the list. I want to plant some horseraddish, any good ideas / tips?