#16 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted August 31, 2014 - 07:49 AM

The vertical feature is importaint unless as Rick's friend had, it sits on the ground, either way it is still had on the back. My grandfather built a big heavy duty three point hitch splitter for the Hesston when we were logging off the land, after sawing down the logs into boards he would hook up the pto pump to the splitter which lived right next to the mill on blocks and using a small ramp, cants and the hillside we rolled the blocked wood onto the splitter but after quartering the chunks it got hard for him to move around and that's were me came in handy.

After he got sick and sold the mill i would hook it up to the tractor and park the front of the tractor on a roll on the hillside next to the woodshed and place the splitter in a trench so it was almost level with the ground, it made moving the large chunks easier and raise the splitter to waist level for the little blocks.

We i help my uncle split with his tow behind we like to split right off the truck so there is minimum bending over, he tends to one side putting the halfs and quarters onto a block for me to grab and splitting/chucking the finished chunks into a pile while levering the cylinder and i pull from the truck and focus on quartering down the blocks, we can do a few cords in a 8 hour day so long as some one is there to swap out trucks.

Splitters live a very hard life, i prefer the three point pto driven one because there is one less engine to worry about sitting outside exposed to everything, living on a farm mickey mouse and his family does a lot of damage to gas engine and carb problems that never ends always made it longer and harder then it really needed to be.

If i ever built one it would be a semi-portable with reserve tank and live hydraulic lines quick connect to a direct coupled 2 stage pump and nothing like the flimsy ass backwards junk currently being sold, my Allis Chalmers B-10 currently being re-powered with a diesel is going to have the front grill modified so should the need of a direct coupled pump arise i can just  remove the cover, bolt on the pump, drive up to the splitter, connect the lines and go.

Edited by trowel, August 31, 2014 - 08:12 AM.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#17 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • Member No: 46384
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted August 31, 2014 - 12:51 PM

Years ago I saw a splitter that was 3ph splitter that was designed to be lowered to the ground. The setup was basicly the same as a horizontal but he could lower it all the way to the ground. A 6" tall ramp allowed him to just roll the logs. It did run off the tractors hydraulics. Good Luck, Rick

Good idea... now you've put another thought in my limited mind... LOL.  That might not be too hard to accomplish with my WD.  Make one the lifts up from ground level and run off of either the external pump on this tractor, or just run it off the 2-point system and have an eng to run just the splitting cylinder.  My head is starting to hurt... LOL  But, what do I do with the VH4D?

#18 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted August 31, 2014 - 01:23 PM

Good idea... now you've put another thought in my limited mind... LOL.  That might not be too hard to accomplish with my WD.  Make one the lifts up from ground level and run off of either the external pump on this tractor, or just run it off the 2-point system and have an eng to run just the splitting cylinder.  My head is starting to hurt... LOL  But, what do I do with the VH4D?

Like I said before, V4 IS MONEY IN THE BANK. Save it and use it or trade it. They are a popular and usefull engine. Take your time on your design for the new splitter. I have tried to give you some ideas that may help you develope your best method and equipment.  My body is worn but by using machines and working out systems to do the work, its easier. Good Luck, Rick

• FrozenInTime said thank you

#19 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted August 31, 2014 - 06:33 PM

Well, that was a wast of my time.

Best of luck,

• boyscout862 and FrozenInTime have said thanks

#20 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted September 01, 2014 - 01:57 PM

Best of luck,

What was a waste of your time? You presented some good ideas. I'm an engineer and sometimes spend a year developing a solution to a problem.  Finding the "best" solution is near impossible. All we can do is collect information and try to figure out what is best for each of our particular situations. Good Luck, Rick 

#21 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted September 01, 2014 - 04:20 PM

Best of luck,

I don't see your reply as a waste of time.  I'm enjoying all suggestions, have not decided what to do yet.  I like the idea of a stand alone splitter, but I also like the idea of using either the WD or Snapper as the eng/hyd supply.  I have in the past also seen a large splitter with a hyd. controlled table on one side.  It reached to the ground, roll the log on and then lift the table.  Like I said, I have not decided yet, all the suggestions are coming in real handy.  Keep them coming.

In the end, it needs to make it easy as possible.  With the 3 of us being disabled, our backs have been tore up pretty good, none of us are very strong anymore.  Last round of cutting wood has the muscles in my chest in a hurting way.  I really need this to come through in the end.  What ever I build, what ever power plant I end up using, it will have to have a way to lower or go vertical to the ground to splt the bigger logs, or a way to pick up the log and take it to the rail.  Where we cut the trees, we have a bobcat with forks to use for lifting.  We load up a 20 foot trailer with 3 foot sides.  Maybe coming up with a splitter the level of the back of the trailer would be a good idea too, just roll from trailer to splitter.  Problem is, when we are allowed to go in and cut this area, we have a short time to get as much as possible.  Cut, load, dump at home and get back the next morning.  I have to come up with something to ease the pain.

Again, thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming.

Edited by FrozenInTime, September 01, 2014 - 04:39 PM.

#22 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted September 01, 2014 - 04:29 PM

The splitter at the level and attached to the trailer is an interesting idea. Good Luck, Rick

Another idea is to try to reduce the need for wood by making the buildings more efficient. I hope to build and document for here, a solar hot air panel. I have to get as much painting done as I can first so that wont be until November. I expect to build it from scrap, old sliding glass doors, and the purchase of two styrosheathing panels.

#23 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted September 01, 2014 - 04:46 PM

The splitter at the level and attached to the trailer is an interesting idea. Good Luck, Rick

Another idea is to try to reduce the need for wood by making the buildings more efficient. I hope to build and document for here, a solar hot air panel. I have to get as much painting done as I can first so that wont be until November. I expect to build it from scrap, old sliding glass doors, and the purchase of two styrosheathing panels.

I wish I had built this place instead of just purchasing it.  My house is not energy efficient, live and learn.  It was built with electric heat, the last owners removed that and put in central heat/air.  They messed up the balance some how and it gets pretty cold on one level.  The first floor, the cold one, has a fireplace.  By burning wood, it keeps both floors pretty toasty and the last winters price of $5 per gallon of LP was outrageous.  I am going to go through as $$ allows and update everything, little by little and make it more energy efficient.  Either that, or sell in/move out.  Don't want to do that, so until then, I have to cut/split wood.  I do hope to get it done in the next 5-6 years as I'm not getting in any better shape.  Until then, I need to figure out an easier way to handle firewood.

#24 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted September 01, 2014 - 05:05 PM

A fireplace is very wastefull. An insert or a woodstove in front of the fireplace will help keep the house warmer and use less wood. A cord of dry hardwood burned in a decent wood stove will produce the same amount of heat as 200 gallons of heating oil. The biggest heat saving will be sealing leaks. This is also the least expensive. The panel I'm planning to build will cost around $50 but should save 1/2 a cord over the heating season. Good Luck, Rick

Mine will be based on this design.  http://www.motherear...x#axzz3C6XCaFhl

Edited by boyscout862, September 01, 2014 - 05:10 PM.

#25 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted September 01, 2014 - 05:23 PM

My bad, I call it a fireplace.  It was built as a fireplace but now has a wood buring insert.  I sit a small fan beside it blowing the hot air into the rest of the house.  I want to change inserts and put one in that has built in fans to save more heat before going up the chimney.

#26 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted September 01, 2014 - 07:31 PM

Rick already mentioned a pto driven splitter and how it sits on the ground instead of in the air in the previous post i missed so therefor i was wasting my time.

I had another idea to give and came back but it seem how i typed my post is more of a problem.

Best of luck with the splitter.

#27 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 07:01 AM

Rick already mentioned a pto driven splitter and how it sits on the ground instead of in the air in the previous post i missed so therefor i was wasting my time.

I had another idea to give and came back but it seem how i typed my post is more of a problem.

Best of luck with the splitter.

You added a clever idea of a trench to make the splitter almost flush. Refinements like that can make a big difference on how well a solution works.

On complicated projects(especially in the Army), we had brainstorming sessions. We would list ideas that may contribute towards the solution. Even rediculous ones. After we had made the list we would then analyse the pros and cons of each item. Usually several possible solutions would be developed. We would refine and test them to deterrmine the best or in some cases that there wasn't a solution. I figure most questions that we see here are a sort of brainstorming session. Good Luck, Rick