• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • Member No: 46384
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted August 27, 2014 - 10:08 PM

A friend of mine's family had an old john deere swather sitting in a field collecting rust.  I asked about it and was told it was parked there when the family quit farming, but ran.  I asked for, and received the eng and hyd pump from it.  It turns freely, the oil looks like new so after sitting for 20 some years there was no water in the eng.  Kinda surprised me sitting in the open that long but I checked it well, no water and can spin the eng. over with the crank.  It is missing the coil, but distributer/starter/carb, everything else is there.  Carb throttle will not move so it will need a new carb if a rebuild does not free it up or it's damaged, we will see.  Not bad for a freebee, but we will see how free it is after/when I can get it running... LOL 

What's y'alls thoughts, will it run again?  Is this a good eng/dependable?

My intentions is to use it to build a serious log splitter.  From what I found, it is a 30 horse eng.  I am wanting to build a splitter with a splitting head of 6 blades at a single cut, ie a full log split to 6 pieces on one stroke of the ram, if that makes sense.  I'm also wanting to build a swinging arm that either lifts, or an arm with a winch on it to lift up the log and swing it onto the bed for splitting.  I split/burn mostly oak, and those 20 inch long, up to 20 inch diameter pieces of wood is getting a little hard for me to lift with my busted up back.  Do y'all think this engine could handle this job?

I'm open to opinions, suggestions, etc.  Good or bad, all are welcome.

I am to receive soon, an old/rusted up AC WD, engine cracked/siezed, lots of parts missing, what's left will be salvaged by me for my other tractors.  If anyone is familiar with this tractor, what I am  thinking of doing is removing the rails from both sides, putting them back to back to use as the rail for the splitter.  I have no doubt they can handle the stress, those are some serious frames.  I also want this to be tow-able behind a truck down the road, so I'm thinking of a factory made trailer, remove the bed, etc and using the frame for the splitter.  Do y'all think one of those like TSC sells would handle the weight and stress, or should I look elsewhere?  Last thing I want is for it to come apart going down the hiway.

Good, bad, etc, let a rip!

• Alc and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted August 28, 2014 - 05:41 AM

Sounds like a good start !  Good Luck and don't forget pictures

• FrozenInTime said thank you

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted August 28, 2014 - 07:20 AM

You may want to rethink this. I used a big horizontal splitter with a 4way many years ago. It worked well but it was borrowed. I bought a Brave brand 5hp horizontal/vertical splitter from HF 20 years ago and can't even imagine a better one for me. The splitter is set up vertical next to the wood pile. The cut wood is dumped next to the splitter. I sit on a milk crate, reach over and grab a log, roll it to the splitter, split it , and toss the pieces onto the house pile while sitting the whole time. It doesn't really bother my back much because I'm not lifting.  

I sympathize with the back problem because I've been on limited duty all summer(and I'm RETIRED!). I find that setting up an entire system will save you in the long run. I convinced my neighbor this summer that a full sized tractor with a FEL was the way to go. That is what I use for getting wood. He bought one and was telling me how great it is to not have to lift the big logs. Just roll them into the bucket. He's been cutting for over 60 years and is way behind because last year he burned 2 years worth of wood. He was a year ahead, now hes just trying to have enough for this year.

This year I hope to setup a firewood trailer that is filled and covered but parked away from the house. When I need It, I'll bring it up to the house. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, August 28, 2014 - 07:21 AM.

• trowel and FrozenInTime have said thanks

#4 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted August 28, 2014 - 07:57 AM

3 of us cut/split wood together.  Last year we split bout 20 cords.  All 3 of us are disabled, I can tell you the amount of pain we go through I wish on no one.  We have plenty of wood to last another crazy long/cold ND winter, but need to get more split for the up coming years.  This is why I'm wanting to build a bigger/better/quicker idea.  Usually takes 2 of us to lift the bigger ones to the rail.  I am also thinking of just making one with a single knife mounted to the ram that swings vertical also.  If I were to do it that way, I would have to locate different metal for the rail, the one's I have coming would be way to big/heavy for that.  It is an option though, so far it's only on paper in my mind.  I've also thought about building a lift table that would be connected to a cylinder to lift the log up to the rail.  I'm trying to not get too deep into it.

Another train of thought we have come up with, build one that is vertical.  It would be mounted/carried/used on the 3-point on my Snapper 1855A.  Maybe mount the hyd. pump on the front of the frame to run off the Onan eng.  That is another idea we have come up with.

IF I were to build one on the Snapper, what do I do with a 30 horse Wisc?  Find a garden tractor with a blown eng and build one around this eng?  That would be a serious gt..... LOL, 4 bottom plow gt... hehehe

• Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted August 28, 2014 - 08:26 AM

That Wisconsin engine is just money in the bank. Save it and the right project will come to you. As I remember they do take a lot of gas.

The simple 5 hp splitter I have uses about a gallon to split a cord. The bigger the machine the more gas it will take. As I said before, figure out a system that makes it easy on you. No lifting and minimal handling will pay off in the long run. Remember the KISS principle. The more complicated the more it will brake. Good Luck, Rick

• trowel, FrozenInTime and Bill 76 have said thanks

#6 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 28, 2014 - 08:38 AM

That engine is a good one. My Dad and Brother bought a swather for the engine and put it in their Bobcat 610.
They sold the scrap and pretty well paid for the engine. I would not build a splitter that would not go verticle.

There are still some big cottonwoods around here and a 18-24 inch round 40 inches in diameter is too heavy to lift.

#7 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted August 28, 2014 - 09:44 PM

Thanks y'all!  Talked in depth about this with my buds, might be leaning towards a vertical splitter built/mounted on the Snapper 3-point.  Might be the easiest to build/use/repair.  Welding and steel is not a problem, have access to lots of it and 2 outa 3 of us are/were professional welders.  They are going to teach me with this new Hobart 210 I picked up.  Probably won't happen til spring so it's all in planning stage right now.  If I do it with the Snapper, I will be able to disconnect the splitter and use the 3-point attachments.  More toys, er... tools with only one power plant to mess with.  We are going to look for a way to mount the pump with little to no modifications to the gt, make it so 2 bolts, the pump comes out then I can put the belts back on for the mid mount PTO for the other accessories (deck, snow blower).  Still, what fun can I come up with for the Wisc. eng.... hehehehehe.... gotta do something with it, I hate leaving things be......  I'll post what I do, when I get to it.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#8 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted August 29, 2014 - 06:59 AM

I like the idea of one power plant until the reality of a breakdown shatters that illusion. You become totally dependant on that one unit. If it dies you are dead in the water. I like independant machines and several tractors so that if one breaks down another can take over. This is very important for snow plowing and emergency power. It also is important if you can only work on your wood on weekends. I want you to think about these points so that you don't have to learn the lessons that I already have been through. Good Luck, Rick

#9 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted August 29, 2014 - 07:38 PM

Like you Rick, I like the idea of more than one power plant.  I have a gt6000 for mowing/yard work, the snapper 1855A is for yard/garden work and snow blowing, an Allis Chalmers unstyled WC for playing on/tractor pulls/tooling around the countryside, an Allis Chalmers WD for working around the place when the gts don't have enough umph, and a snapper comet lawn mower.  I do have a live hyd. pump on the WD I could set up to run the wood splitter.  Thought about that, but it's easier to use the smaller gt I'm thinking.  I have access to a couple full size John Deere 4x4s for snow blowing as well as several Case tractors.  My wife thinks I have too many .... toys.... I say much needed tools... LOL  IF I were to use the snapper as a power plant for the splitter, as well as the other assigned duties it has and I mess it up, would not be good.  I think I better drop that idea.

I'm thinking the making of this new to me eng. into a splitter is probably more for playing than anything else.  I already have a smaller splitter, I'm just trying to think of making one that makes it easier to use.  Trying not to over think a use for this eng... maybe use the WD live hydraulics for the splitter and finding a gt with blown eng to put this on.  I wonder how this eng. would work on a snapper or massey gt frame, it would be going from 18 or 20 horse to 30 horse... what fun would that be?

My wife tells all her friends I have waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to much time on my hand since I don't work... don't work... I work more/harder since I retired than I ever did when I worked.

I'm wide open to suggestions... I'm still thinking if I come up with materials about making a big log splitter.  I have a couple 8 horse engines that could work with splitters.  If I do one that is pivot'd to split verticle or horizontal, I will only be able to use one blade so I won't need so much horsepower.

• limebuzz and trowel have said thanks

#10 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 29, 2014 - 11:33 PM

An I-beam heavy enough for a splitter would be awful top heavy to transport with a GT. think about making it usable horizontal and to transport, but hinged so you can flip it vertical for the big stuff. They sell one like that at the farm supply and if I burned a lot of wood thats what I would get. I would use one wedge. I seen burly elm that would jam up the wedge and one wedge will be hard enough to drive through with a sledge w/o adding the drag of a second one.
Dad had a vertical on his IH utility and we would roll a large diameter log under the wedge and rip off pieces till it was down to a size where the wedge would split it down the center.

BTW I see you have a couple Allis Chalmers so would know they run a higher pressure hydraulics than most other tractors (3000 lbs,I think) so if hooking to them you would have to consider that with your cylinders.

Edited by JD DANNELS, August 29, 2014 - 11:49 PM.

#11 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted August 30, 2014 - 06:23 AM

Compare the number of shoes she has to the number of tractors you have. Have a good sleeping bag.

The v4 is too big and heavy for a regular GT. It would work on a larger old GT like a PK or even an HT23 Bolens.  Good Luck, Rick

#12 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted August 30, 2014 - 06:34 AM

Im with Rick all the way with this, besides the Winny V-4 suxs gas like it's free, very good engine but expensive.

I have seen people use the TDH an TJD twins on splitters. Splitters were offered for GT's, kind of split down the middle with people it seems, some like it and use all the time, others don't and buy/build a tow behind, i think it depends on the GT size.

• boyscout862 and FrozenInTime have said thanks

#13 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted August 30, 2014 - 01:21 PM

I see you have a couple Allis Chalmers so would know they run a higher pressure hydraulics than most other tractors (3000 lbs,I think) so if hooking to them you would have to consider that with your cylinders.

They run low volume very high pressure.  They can't use most cylinders you find in stores, have to special order them or find used.  The add on hyd. pump I have can run normal cylinders, it runs independent of the regular AC hydraulics.

#14 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted August 30, 2014 - 01:37 PM

Compare the number of shoes she has to the number of tractors you have. Have a good sleeping bag.

The v4 is too big and heavy for a regular GT. It would work on a larger old GT like a PK or even an HT23 Bolens.  Good Luck, Rick

After 32 yrs of marriage I have learned to NOT say things like that to she who has iron frying pan... LOL

Your right, this eng. is freaking heavy.  I had to use a loader to load/unload from my truck.  I don't know what I'm going to do yet, this is probably way too much eng. for what I have planned.  I'm also thinking that a 3-point splitter on a small gt might be way to much bouncing/jarring around for the gt to take without coming apart.

Might be best to just put a freshly rebuilt wisc. 9 horse eng. (on hand) on my old splitter with the hyd. pump that came with the big eng.  The old splitter will not go horizontal, makes it hard to lift up the huge logs I split.  Maybe deconstruct it and make it to where it can swing vert. like the ones at TSC do.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#15 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted August 31, 2014 - 06:50 AM

Years ago I saw a splitter that was 3ph splitter that was designed to be lowered to the ground. The setup was basicly the same as a horizontal but he could lower it all the way to the ground. A 6" tall ramp allowed him to just roll the logs. It did run off the tractors hydraulics. Good Luck, Rick