24 replies to this topic

#1 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted August 27, 2014 - 09:17 PM

As some of you know, I was going to look at a Massey 10 today. He had originally wanted $1000, but had eventually decided to take my offer of $500. I was going to be there at 7:00 this evening. At 12:34 this afternoon, the seller called and said he wanted me to give him a call. I called him back and he said that (supposedly, he may have made up this story) a man who he had talked to a month ago when he first put it up for sale (and maybe the one who said would give him $1000, and that was without even looking at the tractor), happened to be in town this morning and gave him $1500 cash! He did not even give me a chance to look at, nor did he see if I would give more for it than what I had said. He did not apologize either.

When I talked to him Monday afternoon about a time to come and look at it, he told me that someone he knew (he might have said or implied that this person is a Massey collector, I can't say for sure) said that $500 was way to low. He tried to get me interested in some other GTs he has, but I tried to not show much interest. I think he was regretting that he said that he would only take $500.

So, no (NICE???) Massey 10 came home tonight. Very disappointing.
  • olcowhand, Alc, hamman and 2 others have said thanks

#2 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted August 27, 2014 - 09:25 PM

Sorry to hear this Gabriel but money talks in this business & it sounds like he regretted considering your offer. That was an extremely low price for this package. I found this one today & thought you might be interested.

http://limaohio.crai...4605088199.html

• trowel and Gabriel have said thanks

#3 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,221 posts

Posted August 27, 2014 - 09:32 PM

These things usually happen for a reason.  you will find a better one for less $$$$ in a few weeks.  good luck

Pete

• Sawdust and Gabriel have said thanks

#4 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted August 27, 2014 - 09:32 PM

Yeah, not everyone is willing to stand corrected or by their word, Gabriel, it was not meant to be, i know how you feel, another will come and it will work out good.

• boyscout862 and Gabriel have said thanks

#5 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,889 Thanks
  • 2,794 posts

Posted August 27, 2014 - 09:44 PM

Just went through the same thing seller accepted my offer then would not sell it. Very frustrating

• Gabriel said thank you

#6 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted August 27, 2014 - 09:47 PM

That's a shame. Sorry to hear that. That was a good looking machine.

There will be others.

Same sort of thing happened to me last week. We had a deal, and the seller was going to

give me until 6pm that evening to arrange pickup. At 5:30 the seller sent me a text saying

they had to let it go. Five minutes later, I got confirmation, that my friend could go

pick it up that night. I tried to call the seller, but got no answer. I guess they

didn't want to hear the truth I was going to tell them.

• ENafziger and Gabriel have said thanks

#7 GTpicker01 OFFLINE  

GTpicker01

GT Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 42575
  • 579 Thanks
  • 518 posts

Posted August 27, 2014 - 09:50 PM

Keep your head up and keep looking!

Edited by GTpicker01, August 27, 2014 - 09:50 PM.

• Gabriel said thank you

#8 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Gabriel, sorry to hear the news.  That is frustrating.

Some people don't stand by their word very well, and it sure makes life hard for all of use innocent folks.  No one knows who to trust and who to believe. 

I wonder what happened to this thing called "integrity even when it hurts?"

Ben W.

• boyscout862 and Gabriel have said thanks

#9 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Sorry to hear this Gabriel but money talks in this business & it sounds like he regretted considering your offer. That was an extremely low price for this package. I found this one today & thought you might be interested.

From what I've seen and heard, I think he is a wheeler-dealer. I just wish he had not called me back roughly a week later and say that he would take my offer that he had previously turned down, then do this to me.

Thanks for the ad, I've been interested in that one, but I can get ahold of the owner.

#10 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,461 Thanks
  • 1,607 posts

Posted August 27, 2014 - 09:51 PM

The same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago, but I didn't lose any sleep over it. A couple of weeks later a '59 David Bradley Suburban ended up at the house and I couldn't be happier. There are great deals and great tractors all over the place, so something will turn up. This isn't a business for me, it's purely for recreation and the usefulness of the machines. I met a bunch of good folks in this hobby already and I'm sure I'll meet more. I do have to say that I was a bit disappointed in the guy, but there is no shortage of people like that.
  • Sawdust and Gabriel have said thanks

#11 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted August 27, 2014 - 09:52 PM

These things usually happen for a reason.  you will find a better one for less $$$$ in a few weeks.  good luck
                                                                                                                                                                            Pete

Yeah, not everyone is willing to stand corrected or by their word, Gabriel, it was not meant to be, i know how you feel, another will come and it will work out good.

Just went through the same thing seller accepted my offer then would not sell it. Very frustrating

That's a shame. Sorry to hear that. That was a good looking machine.
There will be others.

Same sort of thing happened to me last week. We had a deal, and the seller was going to
give me until 6pm that evening to arrange pickup. At 5:30 the seller sent me a text saying
they had to let it go. Five minutes later, I got confirmation, that my friend could go
pick it up that night. I tried to call the seller, but got no answer. I guess they
didn't want to hear the truth I was going to tell them.

Keep your head up and keep looking!

Gabriel, sorry to hear the news.  That is frustrating.

Some people don't stand by their word very well, and it sure makes life hard for all of use innocent folks.  No one knows who to trust and who to believe. 

I wonder what happened to this thing called "integrity even when it hurts?"

Ben W.

Thanks everyone!! It helps me feel better.
  • MH81, trowel, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#12 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted August 27, 2014 - 09:53 PM

The same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago, but I didn't lose any sleep over it. A couple of weeks later a '59 David Bradley Suburban ended up at the house and I couldn't be happier. There are great deals and great tractors all over the place, so something will turn up. This isn't a business for me, it's purely for recreation and the usefulness of the machines. I met a bunch of good folks in this hobby already and I'm sure I'll meet more. I do have to say that I was a bit disappointed in the guy, but there is no shortage of people like that.

Thanks!
  • classic said thank you

#13 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted August 27, 2014 - 09:56 PM

I won't loose any sleep over it, but I had over a week to get my hopes UP, so it will take a little time to get over it.
  • Sawdust and classic have said thanks

#14 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted August 27, 2014 - 10:15 PM

Like mentioned things happen for a reason. I seen a Sears SS14 at my local scrap yard one day. It was missing the hood & grille but I didn't care. I was so disappointed when the yard man told me it was sold. I went back a few days later hoping to see it but it was gone. A few weeks later I found a SS15 much better tractor, had all the parts & runs well. Keep searching you'll find a good grass cutter soon.
  • Gabriel said thank you

#15 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,461 Thanks
  • 1,607 posts

Posted August 27, 2014 - 10:18 PM

The funny thing is that I had to wait a week, too. The morning I was getting ready to head out to pick it up, the guy called and said that there was a guy chomping at the bit to buy it. I was shocked for a second, but realized what type of lousy piece of human waste I was dealing with. I'm just glad I don't go through life with a mindset like his, and I just shake my head at people like that and don't bother with them.
  • GTTinkerer, trowel and Gabriel have said thanks