#1 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,807 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted August 27, 2014 - 08:59 PM

I am building an electric tractor and got all my motor controls and switches in today, So I had a few min I figured I would hook it up to see how it all worked together.  Two 12v deep cell battery's to a 3 position 6 pole toggle switch to reverse the polarity, then to a dc motor controller to the motor.  sounds simple enough??  I had this all hooked up before but the other motor controller was not big enough and burned out.  Now I have  a big enough motor control and figure I am good to go.  tuned the switch on and instant fire!!!!!!!!  burned every ground cable rite of, I thought I was going to burn the garage down for a few minutes!!! Had to rip the positive wire of the battery's to get it settled down.

Turned out the motor controller is shorted out, puts voltage straight thru it no matter what you do,  So not I have burned up all my new switches and wires and am still no closer to having this thing going.  In the end some of this is my fault, I did not put a fusible link in there, I was going to go get one tomorrow so I could use it when I did the final install,  I should have put one in tonite but I wanted to test it out and see what the speeds would be like.  Oh well now that I have vented I feel better.  Pic is of the motor install the other day, I did not get pics of the burned mess tonite.

Pete

Attached Thumbnails

• new tractor 006.JPG

• MH81, Texas Deere and Horse, hamman and 4 others have said thanks

#2 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted August 27, 2014 - 09:09 PM

Crap !!.....very glad you was not hurt and the shed not burnt, lots of amps coming out of a battery.

I don't want to see what it looks like right now, might make me cry.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,448 Thanks
  • 1,601 posts

Posted August 27, 2014 - 09:36 PM

At least you're alright and still have a shed. A neighbor had his house burn down due to a fuel leak on his 4 wheeler. The garage was under the house so it lit up like a Christmas tree. We had a minor electrical problem at the plant one day. A guy left his dump body up on a 50 ton haul truck and hooked the power lines. He didn't even know it until he saw the telephone poles and wires dragging behind him when he made a turn. It's kinda hard to hear anything over those old Detroits. He drug a telephone pole across the office roof and all of the computers got sucked up to the ceiling and fell back down when the wires pulled out. Walls were ripped apart, etc., etc.
  • Alc, boyscout862, LilysDad and 5 others have said thanks

#4 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,869 Thanks
  • 2,789 posts

Posted August 27, 2014 - 09:50 PM

Where does he work now? ha hahaaaa
  • GTTinkerer, boyscout862, Bill 76 and 1 other said thanks

#5 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,836 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted August 27, 2014 - 10:16 PM

At least you're alright and still have a shed. A neighbor had his house burn down due to a fuel leak on his 4 wheeler. The garage was under the house so it lit up like a Christmas tree. We had a minor electrical problem at the plant one day. A guy left his dump body up on a 50 ton haul truck and hooked the power lines. He didn't even know it until he saw the telephone poles and wires dragging behind him when he made a turn. It's kinda hard to hear anything over those old Detroits. He drug a telephone pole across the office roof and all of the computers got sucked up to the ceiling and fell back down when the wires pulled out. Walls were ripped apart, etc., etc.

Just got a mental image of the computers flying up to the ceiling--- woke the dogs up I laughed so hard!   :rolling:  :rolling:  :rolling:   :smilewink:

• boyscout862, HANKG and classic have said thanks

#6 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • Member No: 46384
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted August 27, 2014 - 10:29 PM

Glad your alright, electricity, even from batteries can be detrimental to your health.  Glad u did not burn down the house.

#7 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,448 Thanks
  • 1,601 posts

Posted August 27, 2014 - 10:33 PM

That was 10 years ago and he still works at the same place. He washed out the dump body and got talking with someone after he finished. He just didn't realize that the body was still up when he pulled away. I was in the shop when it happened and it sounded like the world was coming to an end with transformers blowing and wires snapping. It's a good thing nobody was in the office at the time. It looked like a tornado hit the place.
  • boyscout862, oldedeeres and Sawdust have said thanks

#8 motobreeder OFFLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3989
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted August 27, 2014 - 10:58 PM

I was in PEI when a high-hoe grabbed a crosswalk sign and took down telephone poles along two blocks.

The cross-walk sign was powered by 10KV and lit up like fireworks.  One of the poles took the mirror right off the side of my pickup truck.

Good to hear things didn't get worse.  Some parts you can buy may need to be replaced, but the irreplaceable parts remained intact.  A short on a battery could explode.  I was almost over top of a 6V farm tractor battery when it blew.  It sounded like a gunshot.

• Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#9 framesteer OFFLINE  

framesteer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11301
  • 330 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted August 27, 2014 - 11:01 PM

As vehicles and equipment migrate to electric power, there are a lot of safety opportunities.  Electric and hybrid cars present many of these problems already.  Ag and construction machines are going to high voltage electric/diesel hybrids.  All of this "progress" will mean that common sense may not be enough o prevent injury and/or death. 

• boyscout862 and Sawdust have said thanks

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted August 28, 2014 - 04:02 AM

At least you weren't hurt. That's the only truly unreplacable piece in the story.

#11 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,869 Thanks
  • 2,789 posts

Posted August 28, 2014 - 06:55 AM

That was 10 years ago and he still works at the same place. He washed out the dump body and got talking with someone after he finished. He just didn't realize that the body was still up when he pulled away. I was in the shop when it happened and it sounded like the world was coming to an end with transformers blowing and wires snapping. It's a good thing nobody was in the office at the time. It looked like a tornado hit the place.

Oh  classic that story is a classic I'm still laughing  from last night.

• oldedeeres, Sawdust and classic have said thanks

#12 Sawdust ONLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted August 28, 2014 - 05:55 PM

Classic that was a Classic, that would make a guy leave town. There's so many horror stories these days concerning batteries. We all need to have more respect for them. A mechanic friend of mine was working on his car one day sweating. He had one hand on the radiator & reached across the battery. His wrist watch hit the posi post, shorted out & lit his watch up like blown fuse. He suffered severe burns & had to have his watch surgically removed from his wrist. This also left an ugly scar. I kind of got off topic but I'm glad you were not hurt & still looking forward to your project.

Edited by Sawdust, August 28, 2014 - 05:56 PM.

• classic said thank you