• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 D318 OFFLINE  

D318
  • Member No: 60836
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted August 27, 2014 - 06:26 PM

My 1985 JD 318  S/N M00318X31928  has a Transmission Fluid leak in center of tractor right behind Brake pedals. I have isolated the leak to the Power Steering Control Valve and started removal. I have reached a point where the valve is fully in view and the 4 mounting nuts removed. Lines are still attached at bottom but cannot move steering wheel/ valve out of the mounting bracket because 4 bolts protrude thru the bracket. Cannot get to lines with a conventional wrench to remove those to allow the  valve to move down and out.

Is there a special wrench to remove the lines or is there a way to remove the 4 bolts without the valve coming apart? Anyone had any experience with removing this Control Valve?

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC01934.JPG
  • DSC01932.JPG

#2 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,117 posts

Posted August 27, 2014 - 08:22 PM

You can remove the 4 nuts on the top as they do not keep the valve together and it will not come apart. As for the lines I always take them off with the motor out to remove them so no help from me there.

• Alc and D318 have said thanks

#3 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,455 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted August 28, 2014 - 05:47 AM

Thanks for the tip Bob ( hope I never have to work on mine lol )   Would a crowfoot and long extension get those two fittings loose pictured ?

https://www.google.c...iw=1524&bih=746

• D318 said thank you

#4 D318 OFFLINE  

D318
  • Member No: 60836
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted August 28, 2014 - 10:29 PM

Bob Thanks for the input. 

Tractorholic , I  think a Crowfoot might work . The area is a little crowded and their are 5 Hoses connected to the bottom of the valve.

I have  obtained a Technical Manual for the 318 and describes the procedure for removing and rebuilding the Power Steering Control Valve. It says to remove the Drive Shaft which will make more room and allow better access to the lines from the bottom. I have a few pressing work issues, so I will have to postpone this project until after Labor Day.  I will provide updates on progress later.