• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted August 29, 2014 - 11:42 AM

It is a 1966 with the tire code of "GT-1 4.80/4.00x8 front 6-12 turf rear" with manual lift.

• johndeereelfman and dave8338 have said thanks

#17 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted August 29, 2014 - 12:29 PM

It is a 1966 with the tire code of "GT-1 4.80/4.00x8 front 6-12 turf rear" with manual lift.

Somebody has been paying attention!  :thumbs:

• Texas Deere and Horse, Trav1s and dave8338 have said thanks

#18 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted August 29, 2014 - 12:32 PM

Other than a couple guards missing, the tractor looks good! Seems like the engine has been replaced with something out of a different brand, but as long as it runs paint will cover that up! Nice score  :thumbs: and Congrats on getting one more thing off of your bucket list!

• dave8338 said thank you

#19 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• Member No: 6698
  • 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted August 29, 2014 - 12:51 PM

THANK YOU !  

Other than a couple guards missing, the tractor looks good! Seems like the engine has been replaced with something out of a different brand, but as long as it runs paint will cover that up! Nice score  :thumbs: and Congrats on getting one more thing off of your bucket list!

Actually have all the guards.  They were removed and I have them in the shop for safe keeping.  Even the flywheel starter guards screen, is dent free ~  Can't beat that !

I'll get it running.  At this point, it needs a head gasket.  Won't know until I dig a little deeper, what else has to be attended to.  Carb is a given, they always are.

• Texas Deere and Horse and johndeereelfman have said thanks

#20 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted August 29, 2014 - 01:47 PM

I fixed your title to say 1966.. :thumbs:

#21 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted August 29, 2014 - 03:11 PM

I fixed your title to say 1966.. :thumbs:

I was going to ask if (who) could do that for me.

Thanks again !   :rocker2:

Dave

#22 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted September 01, 2014 - 08:24 AM

Great machines!  I had a '66 with the larger tires before I got the 120.  That is one that I should have kept.

#23 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 04:14 PM

Great machines!  I had a '66 with the larger tires before I got the 120.  That is one that I should have kept.

I've heard that from more than one person.  Might be why I had to see what all the fuss was about.   :thumbs: 

Time will tell...  

I did pull the head over the weekend and it will need to come apart.  The piston has a slight flat spot where the exhaust valve "port" is at. Appears to be the result of carbon build up on the cylinder wall.  Oil burner ?

Unless this is "normal", I'll be grabbing the Mics and see how it measures up.  Maybe a good hone and piston / rings is all that's needed... valves feel good and are moving freely.  One head bolt was snapped off but the PO was nice enough to leave well enough alone and I'll be able to get at it with little to no effort.  Tizz my thought as to why it got parked in the first place.  Don't know...

#24 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted September 16, 2014 - 01:34 AM

Well... It was a late night in the shop tonight. I regret to Inform you, that it had little to do with getting the 110 back in the garden.

I've spent the last three hours and then some, searching for the mule drive for the 110 project. I KNOW I have it, but have been unable to locate it at this point. FRUSTRATING, to day the least BUT... I did get a good night of shop cleaning in and had my first " shop fire" of the season. Actually fealt good to have a little heat in there, sad to say.

Has anyone got a picture of the mule drive for the 110 RF, just to wet my whistle ? I remember looking at it when I was going to take the # 30 , completely different direction, and have not seen it since. I DID find the mule drive for my 116's when using the blower BUT... That ain't going to cut it.

What I remember is a double stack pulley, off-set on a bracket that mounts below the frame. Am I dreaming or is this correct ?
I seem to recall that it was painted yellow. Keep in mind that the #30 tiller was purchased nearly 20 years ago.

One thing I know for sure, if I keep this up, there will be nothing left in the shop.

Thanks, guys

Dave

Edited by dave8338, September 16, 2014 - 01:59 AM.

• superspeedex said thank you

#25 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted September 16, 2014 - 04:51 AM

i can post some pics up tonight o my mule drive if i remember

#26 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted September 16, 2014 - 06:36 PM

OK... been spending some down time today, looking at everything I can find on the web, that relates to the RF 110  and a #30 tiller combo and what I've come up with, is that the 'additional' mule drive that I received when the tiller was purchased nearly two decades ago, was to be used in conjunction with the newer model (1968 and newer) tractors.  It isn't needed, if I understand correctly, with the 1967 and later tractors and the # 30 tiller.

If this is correct, can someone confirm this, please.

It appears that I have everything needed except the draft bar portion that goes into the rear of the tractor... the lift arm ? ?

Also, is / has anyone run this combo WITHOUT the additional (3rd) sheave on the end of the PTO?  I've read that it isn't absolutely needed and it does make turning to the right, a bit restricted...

#27 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted September 16, 2014 - 08:17 PM

Here are the lifting parts that you'll need in order to hook the tiller up to your tractor:

Garage and Hitch Parts 007.JPG

This is what your 110 mule drive should look like without the tiller pulley:

Tiller Parts 003.JPG

This is the screw-on tiller pulley:

Tiller Parts 002.JPG

And this is how your mule drive should look, after the tiller pulley in installed:

Tiller Parts 004.JPG

This is the 112 mule drive:

Tiller Parts 001.JPG

Hope this helps in finding out what you need!

Edited by johndeereelfman, September 16, 2014 - 08:22 PM.

#28 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted September 16, 2014 - 11:02 PM

Not only will it help, it is EXACTLY what I've been needing to confirm.

From what you posted, it looks as though I'll need the additional sheave for the mule drive, the little "cats paw" piece that goes through the rear of the tractor, and the pulley for the lift cable. As long as I can get a measurement or two, those pieces I can make and they should look exactly like the JD originals. I'll have to source the additional sheave. FleaBay, here we come...

I do so wish that JD was a little less "nanny-like" withe their data. It is almost like they want you to ONLY be able to get parts from them.

They do...

I can't thank you enough, Elf, for the needed pics. If I can see something, I can make it. Unless one lands in my lap... LOL

Thanks again,

Dave
  • johndeereelfman said thank you

#29 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted September 17, 2014 - 07:41 AM

Dave,

Before you go racking your brain to try and find more details or figure out measurements, let me pull the parts and get you the measurements that  you'll need. I'll also take some inventory as to how many of the tiller pulleys I have. Maybe I can help you out, no promises, but maybe. I'll try and pull the parts tonight after I get home from work. I know I have the cable pulleys and the finger lifts hanging on the pegboard, so getting measurements for those won't be a problem. I'll get back to you later on tonight. 

#30 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted September 17, 2014 - 07:48 AM

One other thing Dave. Does your tractor have the helper spring attached? If not, you may want to look into purchasing one, to aid in lifting the tiller. Lifting it once or twice isn't bad, but if you are tiller a large garden, you won't be able to lift your arm high enough to pick your nose at the end of the day. I'll post a picture of one of them tonight as well, so you know what to look for.