#1 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,295 Thanks
  • 2,331 posts

Posted August 27, 2014 - 11:20 AM

I got my old Fourteen Hundred back at the house.Been a couple years since this one was up here.I took it down to the farm and put it in Storage almost 2 years ago.

We had to take 1 of the storage barns down because a branch fell on it and took out 1/2 the roof.I decided to see if the old MTD would start and move without much trouble.Well it didn't take but a couple minutes and it was purring like a kitten.Cleaned the Points and put some gas in it (I drained the tank when I parked it) and hooked the battery up.Didn't have to choke it or touch the throttle.It fired up Almost instantly.

Here's the post of the day I got it home in October of 2012.

http://gardentractor...ourteen hundred

It hasn't changed much other than it has a seat and new front tires and newer rear rims and tires.Brakes are still needing some attention.It's the older model with the Single Brake/Clutch pedal.

I used it to blow show in 2012 down at the farm and it's sat ever since.

I plan on fixing the little stuff that never got attention and make it mow and give it some fresh paint before it rusts up any worse than it is.

That old Iron Block 14hp briggs sure does run good.

I rewired the headlights and put new bulbs in it yesterday.I turned them on down at the farm and instantly blew both bulbs.1 of the points in the Voltage regulator was sticking so I cleaned it up and reset the points.Works good now.Charges good to.

I may have to find another Coil for it.It's not cracked and works awesome but It is sparking through the rubber coating.I got the crap shocked out of me when I went to tweak the carb.The wire touches the Air filter and you can see a small white circle on the wire where it's sparking through the insulated wire.

On another Note I found my New Favorite Spark Plug.E3 Spark Plug with Life Time Guarantee Got 1 for $6 and change down at TSC for 1 of my old Mac 10/10 Saws the other week.It starts easier and seems to run out alot smoother.I have been putting them in everything I own ever since.They don't foul out like the old Champion or NGK plug if you run it a bit to lean.

http://www.homedepot...ug-e320f/906427

Hey it's got a Lifetime Guarantee what's not to like lol

• rustyoldjunk and Sawdust have said thanks

#2 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,295 Thanks
  • 2,331 posts

Posted August 27, 2014 - 11:29 AM

I need to find or Make a linkage piece for the Deck.

If anyone has the linkage that goes from the Lift handle to the deck lift and can accurately measure it or sell me it if they have a spare I would be greatly appreciate.

It show us as part number 438-9479 in the MTD 960 Tractor manual.

MTD123.jpg

Thanks a bunch

• rustyoldjunk said thank you