Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Has anyone tried cable chains on their GT?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 674 Thanks
  • 1,531 posts

Posted February 10, 2011 - 06:28 PM

In preparation for getting a snow blade for my garden tractor, I've been trying to decide what to do for chains. Before I go buy some specifically sized for the GT, I was wondering if I could make some cable chains (that I already have) fit the GT.

Does anyone have any experience with cable chains on a GT?

#2 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,963 Thanks
  • 29,757 posts

Posted February 10, 2011 - 07:22 PM

What size are the cross cables? I would think they'd need to be at least 3/8... I think the rubber cross pieces on Brian's rubber chain are about that thick.

As long as you have them tight, I'd think they would work fine. Maybe not quite as much traction as regular chains, but close. My only concern with cable is that when you spin enough, eventually they will fray. Frayed cable is wicked stuff and you may end up wearing your tires fast, or worse yet, a flat?

#3 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 674 Thanks
  • 1,531 posts

Posted February 10, 2011 - 07:35 PM

What size are the cross cables? I would think they'd need to be at least 3/8... I think the rubber cross pieces on Brian's rubber chain are about that thick.

As long as you have them tight, I'd think they would work fine. Maybe not quite as much traction as regular chains, but close. My only concern with cable is that when you spin enough, eventually they will fray. Frayed cable is wicked stuff and you may end up wearing your tires fast, or worse yet, a flat?

The cable chains I have look similar to these:

CAR CABLE CHAIN MOUNTING INSTRUCTIONS

See in the picture where the cable is running through what looks like small sections of metal tubing? On mine, the sections are VERY STIFF coiled wire, like a stiff spring is made out of. As such, I don't think I'll have to worry about the cable fraying. But, I wouldn't expect these cable chains to last as long as real chains would. Being the scrounger that I am, I thought I'd give these a try as I keep my eyes open for a set of chains.
  • tractorman604 said thank you

#4 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,963 Thanks
  • 29,757 posts

Posted February 10, 2011 - 07:44 PM

Those look pretty substantial, they should last quite a while!

#5 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 8,905 Thanks
  • 4,818 posts

Posted February 10, 2011 - 07:53 PM

I have trouble with traction using my very near new and sharp bar reinforced chains. I wouldn't think cable would bite very good but if you are on something relatively level , I suppose it would work. My drive is steep and gravel. This last snow had some 3 foot drifts and these chains make ugly marks on the sidewalk!! :mecry: