• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,716 Thanks
  • 871 posts

Posted August 26, 2014 - 07:23 PM

i called about a garden tractor tonight, the owner who knew about it has passed away 1/2 dozen years ago, so i ask about the make, dont know, year , dont know, motor, dont know, does it run, no. what do you know about this tractor, its "red". during the conversation it comes out her husband loved this "red" tractor and spent quite a bit of time looking for this make in paticular, well that tweeks my tractor senses and i can feel the tingling running down my back. got to go and look at this "red" tractor, im a wheel horse guy so im thinking who doesnt love a horse, horses are red. thankfully it was only 30 min away and i blast down the hiway, meet the lady and go down to the shed, from the condition of the shed im not to hopeful, well i pull open the door and its not a horse, its not even painted the right color for the make, BUT ITS NICE AND ITS MINE NOW !!!!!!! i will have to rely on the experts tomorrow when i can post pics but i think its a 1958 / 1959 simplicity wonderboy or 1960 / 1961 725 model

with blade and sleeve hitch , new ag rears, new fronts, the only reason it was not running was he was changing the brushes in the starter generator and i have all the parts in a box for that,  i will need the hood emblems  a grill and a correct seat but hopefully someone here can help out after they see the pics tomorrow, ps i lied when i said i was only collecting horses, i'll have to correct that so i dont lie to myself too. i only collect what i like, yesterday i was following a bolens 1455 on a trailer but the guy was going to fix it up himself, oh well 

• Alc, hamman, IamSherwood and 10 others have said thanks

#2 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted August 26, 2014 - 07:53 PM

This almost sounds like "Field of Dreams", "Build it, and they will come."

Except in this case, it's "If I see it, I must have it". :D

• Bill56, tinbender7, HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted August 26, 2014 - 09:04 PM

Nice story to go with the purchase.
Be a neat one to tell at shows you take it to.
  • farmer john said thank you

#4 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted August 26, 2014 - 09:13 PM

Red ?

That sounds like a red Monkey Wards Garden Mark Squire tractor, Briggs 19D 7.25 hp.

For Simplicity :

Straight shift, low steering wheel and no remote choke lever is the earlier 700.

There are mixes when the 725's used up the last of the 700 parts hence real early 725's.

Then the 725's.

Monkey Wards followed suit excluding the decals and emblems and was painted red.

Pictures please.

Edited by trowel, August 26, 2014 - 09:16 PM.

• MH81, boyscout862 and farmer john have said thanks

#5 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted August 26, 2014 - 09:57 PM

Good story looking forward to your pics. I recently followed a guy hauling a cushman truckster, sadly he was going to rebuild it but I got to look at it & drool.

Edited by Sawdust, August 26, 2014 - 09:58 PM.

#6 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• Member No: 6698
  • 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted August 26, 2014 - 10:29 PM

Red ?

That sounds like a red Monkey Wards Garden Mark Squire tractor, Briggs 19D 7.25 hp.

For Simplicity :
Straight shift, low steering wheel and no remote choke lever is the earlier 700.

There are mixes when the 725's used up the last of the 700 parts hence real early 725's.

Then the 725's.

Monkey Wards followed suit excluding the decals and emblems and was painted red.

Pictures please.

I just LOVE the way you think ! ! !