• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 relic7680 OFFLINE  

relic7680

• Member No: 7630
  • 29 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted August 26, 2014 - 12:58 PM

The washer in the pic belongs to my father....2002 Excell by Devilbiss. Engine wanted to die when he let off the trigger, so he talked to some people and determined that a stuck unloader valve on the pump was at fault. So I ordered part # A03928SV unloader kit off ereplacementparts.com. Comes with the shown parts and instructions....assuming I had the "one piece" unloader because mine is the longer of the two and doesn't appear to have a removable seat in the pump housing.
I tried to press in the seat (big end out) with a pin punch of roughly equal diameter with no luck. The machine was on its side when I tried this, so gravity was my friend. After that I just screwed in the unloader by itself and of course the washer didn't build pressure. I believe this is because the new, shorter valve is just letting water by without the extra seat in there for it to sit on.

After some additional research on another forum, I attempted to disassemble/clean the original valve. I thought I had it freed up and also played with the adjustable spring tension, but after reinstallation the washer just ran and sprayed no water......!?

Anybody have experience with this setup? What did I do wrong?

Attached Thumbnails

• jawn 001.jpg
  • jawn 002.jpg
  • jawn 003.jpg
  • jawn 004.jpg
  • jawn 005.jpg

#2 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted August 26, 2014 - 01:37 PM

My pressure washer won't start unless you squeeze the trigger to relieve the pressure....I must have an unloader problem too.....never thought of it.

#3 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 2,144 posts

Posted August 26, 2014 - 03:09 PM

My pressure washer won't start unless you squeeze the trigger to relieve the pressure....I must have an unloader problem too.....never thought of it.

That's not necessarily true.   .....The unloader only relieves the pressure once it reaches a certain p.s.i. , as determined by the setting of the unloader.  ....Usually, this pressure setting is higher than the system pressure while you are spraying.

For example, if your washer produces 1000 psi while you are spraying, the unloader should not unload until the pressure exceeds the 1000psi.  .....The system pressure depends on the setting of the unloader.  ....Releasing the trigger causes the pressure to rise, and the unloader to relieve the pressure until it drops down to the pre-set pressure.

For starting the engine, pressure in the system is relieved by holding the trigger open.  ....Otherwise, the pump is trying to build pressure against a closed trigger, thus making the engine harder to turn.  ....The unloader will not function until the system pressure exceeds the unloader setting.

Also, it is not a good thing to let the pump run for long periods in the "unloading" mode.  ....Since there is no cool water entering the pump, the recirculated water gets hotter & hotter, which can damage the seals in the pump.

Edited by Bruce Dorsi, August 26, 2014 - 03:12 PM.

• Alc said thank you

#4 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted August 26, 2014 - 04:20 PM

Guess I learned something.

The pressure washer also won't shut down unless I turn off the engine then squeeze the handle. It will just keep running. Well not running but it will keep firing like it's missing.

Sorry didn't mean to hijack your thread either...

Edited by toomanytoys84, August 26, 2014 - 07:39 PM.

• Alc said thank you

#5 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• Member No: 8320
  • 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted August 26, 2014 - 06:43 PM

we had a similar problem and we just ended up removing the trigger