Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Looking At 110, Any Red Flags To Look For?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53757
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted August 25, 2014 - 09:38 PM

I am currently placing money forward in buying a 60s JD 110 RF with mower deck and tiller.

Owner says that it runs, and everything works fine.  Is there anything that I need to look for in regards to the mechs of the 110? 

I have been looking for one for a LONG time, and for the price, im biting on this one, even though its 10 hrs round trip.

Again, any points for inspection would be appreciated

Thanks

• A.C.T. and oldedeeres have said thanks

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted August 25, 2014 - 09:43 PM

I would make sure the engine runs well from low idle to high idle, cold and warmed up. Also check all the gears stay in gear throttling up and down and make sure the variator goes up and down thru its full range. If the mower deck is on it or tiller, engage it and listen for any strange or growling noises like a bad bearing or drive chain.

• oldedeeres and Pager450n have said thanks

#3 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted August 25, 2014 - 09:57 PM

look the wiring over the best you can

• oldedeeres and Pager450n have said thanks

#4 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted August 25, 2014 - 10:55 PM

Have fun with it!      images greenflag.jpg images greenflag.jpg

• Pager450n said thank you

#5 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted August 25, 2014 - 11:00 PM

I will try.  Im going to save the restore, (when purchased) and have my two kids help me next summer.  I talked to the owner, everything is in place for tues purchase. Will be a blast. 

#6 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,869 Thanks
  • 3,198 posts

Posted August 26, 2014 - 01:43 AM

Please keep us posted, my son is looking at one as well, and all pointers are welcome.

#7 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,302 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted August 26, 2014 - 10:02 AM

Old Kohler engine 101

Crack the throttle open and if you hear a Loud Knock the Connecting rod is worn and Loose.If you hear Several Small knocks (sounds like a wood pecker) then it has a good deal of Piston Slap and will need to be Bored out and New Oversized Piston and rings installed.

If you see Any Vapor or Smoke coming from the Breather Assembly under the Carb Once the Engine is Warms up then it's more than likely going to need Rings And possibly Rebored depending on how bad the Cylinder is worn.

Make sure the Variator isn't seized and operates in it's full range.

Edited by EricFromPa, August 26, 2014 - 10:03 AM.

• Alc and lyall have said thanks

#8 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted August 26, 2014 - 11:19 AM

Make sure everything is with it, don't remember on a RF, but the flat fenders used a mule drive for the tiller.  ~~  Lowell

#9 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted August 26, 2014 - 12:26 PM

Some things have already been mentioned above, but I will go over the items that I check out when I'm looking to buy one.

*Check all forward gears and the reverse gear to make sure it goes in and out of each gear, and stays in gear while under load. You want a little resistance for each gear, and if it goes into each gear with little to no resistance, then you'll have to look into splitting the rear and installing new detent balls. In most cases, if the shifter goes into each gear easily, then nine times out of ten, the shifter will jump out of those gears just as easily under any type of load.

*Check the variable speed control. Start the tractor up if possible, and put the transmission into 1st gear. Pull the variator handle all the way back to the rear position and let off the clutch/brake pedal. The tractor should not move. Move the variator handle front one notch at a time to see how the tractor speed reacts. Each notch should give you a little faster speed. 

*You don't say what year the tractor is, and you don't specify as to it being manual lift or hydraulic lift. If hydraulic lift, be sure to check it out thoroughly to make sure it moves and to see if it lifts one of the attachments. Rebuild kits are still available through Deere, and you have to buy (2) separate kits in order to have a complete rebuild. One of these kits are quite expensive. Check the hydraulic hose lines for damage, splits, bent fittings, or dry rot. The hoses can be pricey when it comes to replacement, and are not available through Deere anymore.

*Try to see if the starter/generator is good and strong while starting the tractor. If it sounds weak or like it's barely turning, then you'll have to think about replacing it or rebuilding it. Not expensive, but yet another expense. Does the generator light on the dash (again not knowing the year, as 1963 and 1964 models didn't have one) stay on while the engine is running at medium throttle. Could be the voltage regulator will need replaced. Again, another expense.

*Are the tires decent, recently replaced, or dry rotted to the point that they will need replaced? Do the rear rims show rust stains around the valve stems, due to the tires being filled with calcium?

*Are all guards in place like the PTO cover on the right hand side of the tractor, or the starter/generator shield on the left hand side of the tractor? These items aren't available through Deere anymore, and will cost some big bucks when you find them listed on ebay.

*You mentioned a tiller attachment in your opening post. Since this is a 110, look at the mule drive hanging below the frame just to the right hand side of the tractor. There should be a pulley on the inner most part of the mule drive, and two pulleys on the outer most part of the mule drive. If only one pulley on the outer most part of the mule drive, then you won't be able to use the tiller since you don't have the second pulley. Look at the back of the tractor. Is there a step type bracket bolted to the bottom of the rear hitch? Is there a finger like piece coming out through the hitch plate itself? If these things are not present, then the tiller was never mounted to this tractor. If these things are present, then look under the tractor to see if there is a large, adjustable spring that expands when you push the lifting arm front. This would be a helper spring, and will make things a whole lot easier when trying to lift the tiller. The helper spring would be an added bonus!

*If the mower deck is installed, start the tractor and activate the pto to hear how the mower deck bearing sound. Quiet as possible is what you want to hear, but if noisy, then you'll eventually have to replace the bearings. Does the mower deck have any holes rotted through it, especially the front left facing as this is where the grass always gathers and rots. The right hand mower deck wheel will more then likely be re-welded on, and this is normal. Bad design from John Deere, so don't let this keep you from buying the tractor.

*Does the tiller turn freely and what kind of shape is the drive belt in? Is there an adjustable turn buckle present that connects to the finger type piece sticking out the back of the tractor hitch? Is the leveler blade/deflection shield present. Another words the flap that hangs off the back of the tiller. Is the main chain drive guard present, or is the drive chain exposed and all rusted up?

Other than the motor, these are major things that I look at or take into consideration when buying a round fender. I wish you luck on the purchase, and like said before, post pictures of it when you bring it home.

• Alc, Texas Deere and Horse, EricFromPa and 2 others have said thanks

#10 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted August 26, 2014 - 10:11 PM

My agent(sister) in Boise has told me that the Deere has arrived. It runs, ideals well and goes forward and back with no issues. Everything looks great, very little damage to the side I can see

Also came with extra belts, original manuals and the tillers tines look as they should
  • Alc and Trav1s have said thanks

#11 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted August 27, 2014 - 09:42 PM

Here it is,  serial # T1305968729m

image-L.jpg

image-L.jpg

Kids love it

image-L.jpg

• grnspot110, Texas Deere and Horse, johndeereelfman and 2 others have said thanks

#12 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted August 27, 2014 - 09:50 PM

That is a nice looking RF you got there. :thumbs:  I think you have found a driver for it also, you may have to pry his fingers off that wheel... :rolling:

It even appears to have the correct muffler also.

#13 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• Member No: 6698
  • 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted August 29, 2014 - 03:30 PM

Now THAT looks familiar.  Have fun with it and when you mount the tiller, post a few pics.  I may need them.   :thumbs:

#14 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted August 29, 2014 - 03:43 PM

Now THAT looks familiar.  Have fun with it and when you mount the tiller, post a few pics.  I may need them.   :thumbs:

Will do, and im planning on having spending quality time with the kids on this too

#15 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted September 04, 2014 - 10:23 PM

Going to pick it up this weekend! Very excited. Now here's a quick? What type of snowblower would fit this rf? There is one a few miles from my sis home that is said to fit rfs

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg