#46 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,170 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted April 30, 2016 - 05:13 PM

Nice Job - looking good.  If the gear ratio inside the gearbox is identical then the deck blades will run a bit faster with the larger pulley and probably take a little bit more power to drive it - you may want to check the ratio of the gear boxes to make sure they are identical and also if you have room for the larger pulley to fit without hitting anything.  There may be enough give in the tensioner spring but I would think you may need a slightly longer belt with the 4" pulley. 

• LPBolens, Sawdust and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#47 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted June 01, 2016 - 07:47 AM

Well once again got started on painting my seat & then it snowballed into another repair job. The outer plastic trim ring needed repaired. I used some webbing & JB weld to reinforce.

seat2.jpg seat6.jpg

I wire brushed the seat pan, used rust converter then painted.

Seat.png seat5.jpg seat8.jpg seat7.jpg

I got some wiring done decided to replace all of it & solder the connections...hate searching for loose connections. I also reconnected both safety switches because these had been cut off.

wiring1.jpg wiring2.jpg wiring3.jpg

I always wondered how I got tranny fluid up on the top of the fender pan, hole in the top of the reservoir, repaired with JB weld.

pic43.jpg pic44.jpg

Got the hood on, looks kind of like a storm trooper on star wars. I have an expense problem on the decals. This tractor was the early version using the black, gold & white with the Husky dog in the headlight area. These will cost about $45. more compared to the I believe one year later version having the FMC decal. I have to decide how authentic I want to be, this will be a worker mostly cutting grass not a show piece. Being the perfectionist I am & knowing the whole time driving this tractor I know I would be more happy knowing that the dog is out there on my hood instead of the FMC so I may have a delay in my progress right now. :D

pic50.jpg

• LPBolens, Bruce Dorsi, blackjackjakexxix and 4 others have said thanks

#48 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted June 14, 2016 - 09:14 PM

Well finally got her out of the corral after a very long stay with some repairs & some painting done. Even though it wasn't a total rebuild just some minor repairs & making things like the wiring, sleeves & bushings updated. Two things I learned to do. One was to put the L brackets on the dash box before mounting the fender pan & seat. Don't install the battery tray until EVERYTHING is done in that area, dropping something down into the tube frame is like the abyss. My extendable magnetic rod was my friend several times.

I still need a few things done like Plasti-Coat the rubber knobs that are white, put some kind of pull knob on the parking brake.

I have to get some head lights...not really wanting the typical GE 4411 which has some bad reviews lately for not lasting long. The Wagner brand has some better reviews. I need some for my other GT's so maybe I'll order about four pairs when I do.  I need to decide on the decals also, as I mentioned earlier this is the older version with the Husky dog & gold, black & white. These are more expensive. Sam from Sam's Bolen's gave me a quote & I know he makes some good products so I'll probably go with him but later. I really need to get this GT back to work cutting grass.  I used a spray vinyl from Dupli Color to cover the bad white over spray from the PO...really pleased. I didn't feel any need to go original on the tail lights since this wasn't a restore. I got these from a trailer supply called etrailer for $2.50 each & $2.99 shipping, I bought two pairs & really happy with them. Any questions & comments like always are welcomed. Thanks everyone for looking & supporting me on another project.

pic51.jpg pic52.jpg pic54.jpg pic55.jpg pic56.jpg pic57.jpg pic58.jpg pic59.jpg

• Bolens 1000, LPBolens, blackjackjakexxix and 3 others have said thanks

#49 ClassicBolens ONLINE  

ClassicBolens
  • Member No: 48806
  • 961 Thanks
  • 380 posts

Posted June 14, 2016 - 10:53 PM

Looking good. I especially like your clean wiring job. Very well done.
  • Sawdust said thank you

#50 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted June 15, 2016 - 05:45 AM

Great job and very sharp machine!! I believe a lot of guys here use click it and stick it for decals. I've heard good things about their decals.

• Sawdust said thank you

#51 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,170 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted June 15, 2016 - 09:22 AM

Nice looking tractor and great job on painting the seat - it looks really sharp.  Can't wait to see it with new decals - thanks for sharing.

• Sawdust said thank you

#52 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,356 Thanks
  • 1,763 posts

Posted June 15, 2016 - 10:36 PM

Nice job,really looking good
  • Sawdust said thank you

#53 Hydrohusky OFFLINE  

Hydrohusky
  • Member No: 48182
  • 36 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted June 16, 2016 - 01:36 PM

Well once again got started on painting my seat & then it snowballed into another repair job. The outer plastic trim ring needed repaired. I used some webbing & JB weld to reinforce.

attachicon.gifseat2.jpgattachicon.gifseat6.jpg

I wire brushed the seat pan, used rust converter then painted.

attachicon.gifSeat.pngattachicon.gifseat5.jpgattachicon.gifseat8.jpgattachicon.gifseat7.jpg

I got some wiring done decided to replace all of it & solder the connections...hate searching for loose connections. I also reconnected both safety switches because these had been cut off.

attachicon.gifwiring1.jpgattachicon.gifwiring2.jpgattachicon.gifwiring3.jpg

I always wondered how I got tranny fluid up on the top of the fender pan, hole in the top of the reservoir, repaired with JB weld.

attachicon.gifpic43.jpgattachicon.gifpic44.jpg

Got the hood on, looks kind of like a storm trooper on star wars. I have an expense problem on the decals. This tractor was the early version using the black, gold & white with the Husky dog in the headlight area. These will cost about $45. more compared to the I believe one year later version having the FMC decal. I have to decide how authentic I want to be, this will be a worker mostly cutting grass not a show piece. Being the perfectionist I am & knowing the whole time driving this tractor I know I would be more happy knowing that the dog is out there on my hood instead of the FMC so I may have a delay in my progress right now. :D

attachicon.gifpic50.jpg

I’ve truly enjoyed following your work.  Your patience and attention to detail is inspiring.  I learned a few body work techniques as well.  I’ve always had an interest in the H14, 1556 and H16 tractors and owned or helped friends with quite a few.  I believe they’re very reliable and the Tecumseh engines with proper maintenance and cleaning seem to run forever.

The hole in the hydraulic fluid reservoir was put there during manufacture.  I've witnessed it on every Eaton 10 Bolens that uses the tank.  (recently on a 1256)  I believe it allows the reservoir to act as an expansion tank.

Also, in an earlier post you mentioned the transmission seeming a little ‘jerky’.  My experience has been this is more related to the drive belts and tensioning spring than the hydrostatic package.  You mentioned you may be using a non-OEM tensioning spring.  When the hydrostatic package is called to accelerate or slow the tractor the load on the drive shaft and ultimately the drive belt spikes.  There is a lot of deflection on the Bolens drive belts and you can see the tensioner spring fight to keep the belts taught.  As the belts flutter, you can feel some unevenness in movement.  The correct spring makes a world of difference.  Too much spring pre-maturely destroys the belts.  Last note is the Eaton 10 as driven on a Bolens does like the engine RPM up towards the top of operating range.  (3000 to 3,600 rpm)

• WrenchinOnIt and Sawdust have said thanks

#54 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted June 19, 2016 - 07:10 PM

Hydrohusky I was wondering why that hole was punched out from the inside so I guess I'll be repairing my repair. :mad2:  When I bought new belts I realized the drive belts I took off were 2" too long so I was slipping & jerking bad. Once I got back in the saddle I could tell a big difference...very strong.  My two PTO belts were too long also, they actually broke the belt guard twice trying to throw the belts off.  Your also right about the high RPM's needed.

This Bolens was a much more easier tear down than my MTD 990 & the MF12. Since it's running much more stronger than before I'm going to follow through with the sleeve hitch build soon.  Thanks again for your compliments. ​ :thumbs:

• Hydrohusky said thank you