• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Koenig041 OFFLINE  

Koenig041
  • Member No: 61746
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted August 25, 2014 - 04:11 PM

Hello Everyone, I have been doing research for an older heavy duty tracter and found this very informative forum. Tired of buying lawn tractors every 6 years. Had my fill of craftsman and husqvarnas. I have to mow a little over 3 acres and plow about 2k feet of driveway and paths in the winter. The last Husq was a light duty yth 2554 (hp/cut). When that crapped out (bent pushrod that fell back into crankcase) I found a used Honda 4120 with a 48in. deck. The Honda cuts well but is light duty as well.

I'm going to check out a Jake 53332 gt 16 that comes with a 60 inch deck and rear wheel weights. The tractor does not come with any other options. I'm no mechanic but I have an awesome set of tools. I have no problem taking basic stuff apart and replacing them but have never done an engine tear down. My question is, are there common areas to look for when it comes to wear and tear? Are there any common issues that I should look at, that would make me walk away from buying the tractor. I'm going old school for the pto driven attachments and structural integrity of the older machines. The Kohler k341aqs appears to be a reliable power plant. Is there anything I should check while riding the tractor? Thanks in advance for any assistance you guys can provide.jacobsen gt16 engine2.jpg

jacobsen gt16 engine.jpg

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,522 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted August 25, 2014 - 05:22 PM

:wave: Welcome to the forum!

From the pics, I would say that is a 53336 or 7 closed side model.

#3 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted August 25, 2014 - 06:53 PM

Those are great machines. And that tractor lends it self well to engine upgrades. Kohler v twins fit it easy Peasy with only ever so slight mods needed. 2 holes need to be re drilled and a relay added to be able to shut it off with original ignition. Exhaust is easily adapted too .
As long as you get the correct crank size the pto is a simple swap too. Then you will have a really smooth powerful fuel efficient machine.
Those K series are pretty powerful but a bit hungry too.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20131007_182131.jpg

Edited by skyrydr2, August 25, 2014 - 06:58 PM.

• KennyP and Koenig041 have said thanks

#4 Rock farmer ONLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted August 26, 2014 - 04:43 AM

Hello Koenig041,
Welcome to Gttalk!
That's about my favorite machine!
However they did not come with a 60" mower deck.
It would be a 42" or a 50".
Things to look at on that machine would be the steering and the motor mounts.
The Ross steering boxes never seem to get any maintaince and, may need to be rebuilt.
Check the front wheel spindles for wear / repairs.
The rubber motor mounts sag over time. This will cause a rattle and may loosing the PTO belt.
And the rubber mounts for the rear fender/seat pan are often broken.

Check the condition of the mower deck. Especially the front rollers. Those larger decks wear faster than the smaller 42" ones. Bad rollers, shafts and shaft holes will cause a bad cut.
They made real good snowblowers for these tractors both single and two stage. The plows have a limited amount of lift. And, may not be your best choice. Some people use a craftsman style blade.

You'll find it is a vastly better machine than the others you've mentioned!

Joe
  • KennyP and Koenig041 have said thanks

#5 Koenig041 OFFLINE  

Koenig041
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted August 26, 2014 - 05:00 AM

Thanks for the nice welcome. I'm going to check out this machine on Thursday. I will definately bring along a list of places to checkout on the machine. Are there any places to check for possible hydrolic issues? Have only delt with mechanicals.  Thanks again.

#6 Sprint 6 OFFLINE  

Sprint 6
  • Member No: 30633
  • 164 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted August 26, 2014 - 07:31 AM

Hydro system and rear end are stout.  Only Achilles heel is steering, steering, and steering.  Did I mention steering?  I can bet the steering will be worn out.  These are heavy weight tractors with a lot of weight on the front wheels, and the steering setup seems to be the under built area.  The steering box wears, tie rods wear, steering arm gets loose on the spindle, the wheel spindles break.  This stuff was built good, but 30 plus years takes its toll.  I would plan on having to repair and replace steering parts.  I have rebuilt the axle pivot on mine, repaired the steering arm, and had a new front spindle made.

Other than that, make sure the engine runs good and get it hot, if you can.  A lot of old Kohlers will run OK cold, then smoke like crazy once hot.  Mine did.  They are not a complicated or expensive engine to rebuild.  I rebuilt mine with Stens parts from eBay for about $250 including boring and valve work at a machine shop.  A 16hp model will also have a fuel pump, which can be problematic and cause hot stalling problems, mine did.  $45 for a new mechanical one at Napa.

If the deck is in good shape, they will put a finish on a yard you won't believe.

• skyrydr2 and Koenig041 have said thanks

#7 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted August 26, 2014 - 11:06 AM

Don't pass on it because the steering is sloppy as it is pretty easy to fix. One big pesty issue for these are hydraulic filters if it has a screw on cartridge pump your fist and say " OH YEAH!" If it has the in line filter.... Tell him to knock off a $50 as those filters cost a pile from NH.( NEW HOLLAND ) Any other issues we can get you through with relative ease.
  • Koenig041 said thank you

#8 Sprint 6 OFFLINE  

Sprint 6
  • 164 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted August 27, 2014 - 07:33 AM

I agree, don't pass if the steering is sloppy.  Just use it as a bargaining tool.  If you know anyone who is a machinist, they can be invaluable on a steering rebuild.  I had a friend make a new pivot pin for mine out of drill rod and he also made new bronze pivot bushings.  I had another machine shop build a new left front spindle.  I don't have a lot of expense in my front end, just time.

#9 Rebob OFFLINE  

Rebob
  • Member No: 58644
  • 6 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted August 27, 2014 - 07:37 PM

Subject Lgt Steering--Years ago I replaced the bearing cage in 1973 LGT 120 open side with Cub Cadet part for about $21 much less than quote from Ford. A cheap plastic cage. It was a terrible project. Funny my 1983 LGT 125 with countless hours still fairly tight. Cant forget grease fitting on bottom of gear box, not easy to reach. Hello from Minnesota, Rebob

#10 Koenig041 OFFLINE  

Koenig041
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted August 27, 2014 - 09:30 PM

Heading out in the morning to checkout the tractor. Its two hours away from me. I hate taking these rides because its tougher to stay objective after the time and gas investment. Rarely do I come back empty handed. Will post pics if I pick it up. Thanks again for your input.

Koenig

#11 Koenig041 OFFLINE  

Koenig041
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted August 28, 2014 - 11:56 AM

Went to see her and left her at home. She ran strong but needed too much attention. Thanks again for the list of things to evaluate. The deck was 50 inch like Rock Farmer said. The deck needed an 8 inch weld and front right roller was missing. When I cut a good section of grass the middle did not appear to be cut. Middle spindel Issue, I don't know. All the tires were worn. The steering had some slop. Not being critical just more of a project then I wanted to get into. The mower deck did raise and lower w/o issue. If the deck were a 60, I might have made an exception. Here is the CL add in case anyone else was interested.

http://reading.craig...4588308644.html

#12 Sprint 6 OFFLINE  

Sprint 6
  • 164 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted August 29, 2014 - 01:37 PM

That is the same general shape my LGT 165 was in when I bought it.  I paid $250 for it with weights and two sets of tires.  I think he is high on the price, but looks to have a lot of potential.  For comparison, I have about $600 in my LGT 165 at this point, which includes the engine rebuild, front end repairs, deck belts, and one pair of spindle bearings.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jacobsen, gt16, 53332, lgt, lgt165