• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 smithviewfarm OFFLINE  

smithviewfarm
  • Member No: 49524
  • 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted August 25, 2014 - 02:35 AM

Anyone know anything about a Johnson? One is for sale on Allentown Pa Craigs List. I never heard of it.

#2 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted August 25, 2014 - 05:53 AM

Found this on tractordata.com under Farm Tractor.  It is the only listing for Johnson Manufacturing New Deal.  http://www.tractorda...g-new-deal.html

There was a link to this web site:  http://www.newdealtractor.com/ :

New-Deal tractors were built by Wilber and Vernon Johnson at their snow fence factory located in Wyoming Minnesota. The brothers built many tractors to use in the manufacture of snow fence, their primary commodity. During the depression Franklin D. Roosevelt passed several agricultural relief programs as part of his New Deal in 1933. The Johnson's took advantage of their tractor designing skill and received a grant to help with the agriculture reform and relief effort. The Johnson's used their tractor building skills to produce an affordable agriculture tractor to appeal to the unfortunate farmers of the depression.

Wilbur and Vernon hired the Martin-Bush Mfg. Co. in Anoka Minnesota to cast the large front axle and rear drive gear reductions. They then purchased used Ford Model T's to rebuild and modify into tractors. It is unknown as to how many tractors were built, as no company records are known to exist. It's been said that the Johnson's experimented with a few Model A tractors too. To this date eleven New-Deal tractors have been found. Ten of which reside in the local Minnesota area.

5261-td3a.jpg

• LilysDad said thank you

#3 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted August 25, 2014 - 06:05 AM

The one you are talking about doesn't look much like the one on tractordata.com though.  Too bad cause it would have been a great deal on a very rare tractor, and maybe the one you are looking at is also pretty rare.

#4 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted August 25, 2014 - 06:27 AM

Is this the ad?

http://allentown.cra...4632088078.html

If so, that's a Jacobsen, not a Johnson.  Nice Jake though.

• smithviewfarm said thank you

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted August 25, 2014 - 07:25 AM

Wife or Secretary that didn't know what he had wrote up the ad and put it on. Was thinking of "Big Johnson" when she was doing it!  Heee! Heeee!  :smilewink:

• GTTinkerer said thank you

#6 smithviewfarm OFFLINE  

smithviewfarm
  • Member No: 49524
  • 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted August 25, 2014 - 04:23 PM

That is the one too bad it wasnt the other one.  Jacobsen, looks like a nice restoration though. But the pictures always look better.