Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted August 24, 2014 - 09:20 PM

I picked up a 48" rotary mower, a Gannon convertible scraper and a screw-type log splitter from a guy a few weeks ago.  I finally removed my backhoe and hooked up the mower just to see how it ran.

I'm not sure what brand mower it is, the previous owner gave it a "DuPont Overhaul" and painted over the tag... never understood why someone wouldn't spend 5 extra minutes and a nickel's worth of masking tape to mask off data plates, but oh well!!!

I put it in 540 rpm, and drove it around but it seemed to be running awfully slow... I put the PTO in High (2000 rpm) and it seemed to work better, though the blades were so dull I could have done better swinging a baseball bat.  Is 2,000 rpm the correct speed for it?

There's two blades mounted on a large disk underneath. Each just have a large shoulder bolt on one end and swing freely (one was jammed with grass).

Is it worth trying to sharpen these type blades or should I buy a new set?

Thanks,

Smitty

#2 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted August 24, 2014 - 09:55 PM

Smitty, does the cutter hang on the belly or off the 3 point?

540 PTO should stick out the back, the shaft should be a standard six spline.  2000 usually hides in the middle or it comes out the back as a shaft with a bunch of splines. 

You should be only able to run the 540 as 540, and the 2000 as 2000.  Your cutter should come with the PTO shaft specifically made to take only one type, but it will not allow you to mesh with both types. 

Ben W.

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted August 24, 2014 - 09:58 PM

On sharpening the blades, for a 4 foot cutter blades the should be small enough to handle on a bench grinder. 

However, remember that bush hog blades usually beat the grass to death anyway.  You really don't want a razor edge, it won't last.  What you are describing is officially called a rough cut mower.  If you want to do fine work, to catch every bloomin' grass blade, you need a finish mower. 

Ben W.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kubota b7100, b7100, rotary mower