#31 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,181 Thanks
  • 5,207 posts

Posted August 25, 2014 - 03:39 PM

Bolens walk behind rotary mowers were provided by Mow Master.  Literature I have indicates they were located in South Milwaukee. These early 1950's mowers has the 2 cycle motor used by Mow Master.  At some point FMC must have purchased Mow Master as future Bolens mowers were also painted red and labeled as Mow Master.  I have two identical Bolens riding mowers, one is green, the other is red and says Mow Master on the hood. 

During the early 1960's Bolens came out with the first mulching mower.  This mower was gold in color and was referred to as an FMC product. We were told by our factory rep that we should expect to see it sold under a variety of names.  Never happened to the best of my knowledge. 

While I have your attention, Bolens sold tractors through Western Auto Stores.  Were orange and called Wizard.  I remember seeing them on the loading dock at the plant in Port Washington.

Also, Bolens changed colors frequently.  The Versa Matic models (1953?) were metallic green a big difference from the Power Hoe models.  Ride a Matics came in different shades of metallic green until the switch to gold.  I have a few NOS attachments and various parts in original containers.  Many different shades of green.

Thanks

Mike. 

Welcome to GTtalk Mike If you are willing to talk Bolens could we talk over the phone?  Just send me a Email

• retiredmike2000 said thank you

#32 bolex OFFLINE  

bolex
  • Member No: 9864
  • 123 Thanks
  • 313 posts

Posted August 25, 2014 - 08:51 PM

take it in stride doc you will see more new stuff that's hiding

#33 farmerall OFFLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8266
  • 2,148 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted September 19, 2014 - 01:42 PM

I stumbled across one of their products for sale on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item4adc6daa79

Edited by farmerall, September 19, 2014 - 07:00 PM.

• Bolens 1000 and wilberj have said thanks