32 replies to this topic

#16 gunstuff1000 OFFLINE  

gunstuff1000
  • Member No: 40822
  • 926 Thanks
  • 556 posts

Posted August 24, 2014 - 07:05 PM

I take it the Wizards were sold by MW.

sold thru western auto stores. I have only been able to find one western auto catalog so far with the bolens/wizard tractors in it. An it's just the walk behinds
  • trowel and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#17 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted August 24, 2014 - 07:07 PM

Thanks.

#18 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted August 24, 2014 - 08:25 PM

sold thru western auto stores. I have only been able to find one western auto catalog so far with the bolens/wizard tractors in it. An it's just the walk behinds

I'd like to see that, as I've never found any so far. My Wizard is based on the 12BB model.

• MyBolens1053 said thank you

#19 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted August 24, 2014 - 08:50 PM

I know I've heard of Propulsion Eng Co. If I'm thinking right, they made a unique looking vertical shaft engine that was all aluminum including a cast housing. Seems everything was finned but can't remember for sure. They were on a rotary mower. The Mow-itt sounds familiar too. Brain fade after a week at Portland show. I'm betting these companies are all ones that were bought out by FMC. Similar to the Milwaukee Equip tillers and then they were taken over by FMC. I've seen it listed with and without FMC logo on the tag.

#20 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted August 24, 2014 - 08:52 PM

I know I've heard of Propulsion Eng Co. If I'm thinking right, they made a unique looking vertical shaft engine that was all aluminum including a cast housing. Seems everything was finned but can't remember for sure. The Mow-itt sounds familiar too. I'm betting these companies are all ones that were bought out by FMC. Similar to the Milwaukee Eqip tillers and then they were taken over by FMC. I've seen it listed with and without FMC logo on the tag.

I think your talking about the "bolens" engine

Thats in this catalog as well and is called the "power Pack"

#21 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted August 24, 2014 - 09:04 PM

I think your talking about the "bolens" engine

Thats in this catalog as well and is called the "power Pack

Post a pic and let me see it. If the power pack is what I'm  thinking its not it. This engine wasn't removable from the deck. There was something odd about the deck too. Maybe made of wood? Do you have Alan King's lawn mower book? There might be a listing in there. I don't see mine handy.

#22 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted August 24, 2014 - 09:20 PM

Attached Thumbnails

• p1 (2).jpg

• DougT, Bruce Dorsi and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#23 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted August 24, 2014 - 09:23 PM

I found an ad for power pac engine here:  http://books.google...." mower&f=false

It's page 46 if it doesn't come though right. That's not the mower I was thinking about, but.....It is the company. Is that a tin shrould? I remember the shrould was cast aluminum and the muffler was finned, cast aluminum. I was thinking the shrould had some kind of fins too..

Notice how the ad doesn't say any thing about FMC? I'll bet if you can find later ads we'll see FMC in the ad.

• MH81, Bruce Dorsi and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#24 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted August 24, 2014 - 09:34 PM

I believe its one like in my picture, there seemed to be slight variations of these engines.

#25 MyBolens1053 OFFLINE  

MyBolens1053
  • Member No: 50025
  • 634 Thanks
  • 566 posts

Posted August 24, 2014 - 11:12 PM

Here's an ad for a Mowa-matic. It dates 1955.

http://www.bonanza.c...d-50s/146976311

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

Edited by MH81, August 25, 2014 - 12:21 AM.

• Bolens 1000, DougT and Bruce Dorsi have said thanks

#26 MyBolens1053 OFFLINE  

MyBolens1053
  • Member No: 50025
  • 634 Thanks
  • 566 posts

Posted August 24, 2014 - 11:25 PM

Another ad for the Mowa-Matic. Circa 1950's.

https://www.flickr.c...N00/3240656958/

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

• Bolens 1000, DougT and Bruce Dorsi have said thanks

#27 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted August 25, 2014 - 08:01 AM

FMC was a conglomerate that bought out many companies.

It appears the Propulsion Engine Company in Doug's link was located in Kansas at that time and sold Mow-Master mowers, which were probably predecessor to the Mowamatic mowers produced and sold under FMC's ownership.

As for the re-branded Bolens equipment such as the Wizards and the Titan tiller, maybe FMC made the deal with the outside companies such as Western Auto to sell them re-branded Bolens products, and not the Bolens division????   ....Of course, the Bolens division would have to comply with the wishes of the parent company, whose primary goal was to maximize earnings.

Here is a link to a thread showing pics of a Mow-Master rotary mower seen in Pennsylvania last month.

http://www.smokstak....ad.php?t=136733

Another question arises:  Were the engines marketed under the Bolens name actually produced by Bolens, or were they produced by the Propulsion Engine Company, and re-branded as Bolens ????

Edited by Bruce Dorsi, August 25, 2014 - 08:05 AM.

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#28 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted August 25, 2014 - 09:06 AM

Interesting how the ads show them orange and yellow wheels same as the Wizard......

#29 retiredmike2000 OFFLINE  

retiredmike2000

• Member No: 985
  • 10 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted August 25, 2014 - 11:19 AM

Bolens walk behind rotary mowers were provided by Mow Master.  Literature I have indicates they were located in South Milwaukee. These early 1950's mowers has the 2 cycle motor used by Mow Master.  At some point FMC must have purchased Mow Master as future Bolens mowers were also painted red and labeled as Mow Master.  I have two identical Bolens riding mowers, one is green, the other is red and says Mow Master on the hood. 

During the early 1960's Bolens came out with the first mulching mower.  This mower was gold in color and was referred to as an FMC product. We were told by our factory rep that we should expect to see it sold under a variety of names.  Never happened to the best of my knowledge. 

While I have your attention, Bolens sold tractors through Western Auto Stores.  Were orange and called Wizard.  I remember seeing them on the loading dock at the plant in Port Washington.

Also, Bolens changed colors frequently.  The Versa Matic models (1953?) were metallic green a big difference from the Power Hoe models.  Ride a Matics came in different shades of metallic green until the switch to gold.  I have a few NOS attachments and various parts in original containers.  Many different shades of green.

Thanks

Mike. 

• Bruce Dorsi and Kfs35 have said thanks

#30 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted August 25, 2014 - 11:30 AM

Bolens walk behind rotary mowers were provided by Mow Master.  Literature I have indicates they were located in South Milwaukee. These early 1950's mowers has the 2 cycle motor used by Mow Master.  At some point FMC must have purchased Mow Master as future Bolens mowers were also painted red and labeled as Mow Master.  I have two identical Bolens riding mowers, one is green, the other is red and says Mow Master on the hood. 

During the early 1960's Bolens came out with the first mulching mower.  This mower was gold in color and was referred to as an FMC product. We were told by our factory rep that we should expect to see it sold under a variety of names.  Never happened to the best of my knowledge. 

While I have your attention, Bolens sold tractors through Western Auto Stores.  Were orange and called Wizard.  I remember seeing them on the loading dock at the plant in Port Washington.

Also, Bolens changed colors frequently.  The Versa Matic models (1953?) were metallic green a big difference from the Power Hoe models.  Ride a Matics came in different shades of metallic green until the switch to gold.  I have a few NOS attachments and various parts in original containers.  Many different shades of green.

Thanks

Mike. 

Did you work for Bolens?

Want to sell me anything? :D