• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,865 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted August 25, 2014 - 01:17 AM

Regrets in the garden? Not getting rid of the female asparagus plants--- there are seedlings all over the place, and if they happen to escape detection by the time they are a couple of years old they are a beggar to pull up. Then there are the volunteer tomatillos, never work down over ripe or damaged fruit with the tiller. They will volunteer for years. The same goes for the nice little orientals like bok choi, red indian mustard, suey choi, etc. If they go to seed on you you'll be weeding them out for years too. And yes, if you must plant zucchini, they should be about 1/2 mile from the other squash, lol.

• trowel and LilysDad have said thanks

#17 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted August 25, 2014 - 05:51 AM

Regrets in the garden? Not getting rid of the female asparagus plants--- there are seedlings all over the place, and if they happen to escape detection by the time they are a couple of years old they are a beggar to pull up. Then there are the volunteer tomatillos, never work down over ripe or damaged fruit with the tiller. They will volunteer for years. The same goes for the nice little orientals like bok choi, red indian mustard, suey choi, etc. If they go to seed on you you'll be weeding them out for years too. And yes, if you must plant zucchini, they should be about 1/2 mile from the other squash, lol.

Jeeze, i was regreting not growing a garden this year but after reading this, not so sure anymore,...................eh, that's what mini tillers are for ! all right, my regret is not growing a veggie garden this year but i do have lots of nice flowers !!

#18 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 863 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted September 01, 2014 - 07:39 AM

My regret is planting yellow crook neck squash I have never tried before. First off the vines didn't run like I figured so grew to 4 foot tall and blocked the sun to my pepper and egg plants. I also am not real happy with the fruit and it has a rough skin and huge seeds. No cutting them into slices and frying them. The work great in a soup after you split them and scoop the seeds out. I think I saw some deer down by the creek using a seed as a raft.

:D   Al

• Bill56 and LilysDad have said thanks