• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,307 Thanks
  • 979 posts

Posted August 23, 2014 - 09:55 PM

Our zucchini and tomatoes have done well this season. Linda has shredded a lot of zucchini to put in the freezer and made several meatloafs w/ sliced zucchini to go in the freezer. She's made and canned a lot of tomato sauce in half pint and pint jars. The beans and cukes have not done well due to a mistake I made last yr by using large wood chips for mulch and then fall tilling them in. I have given them lots of 16-20-0 fertilizer but I guess the rotting wood chips just keep sucking up all the nitrogen. I plan to put lots of aged cow manure and a fair dose of the 16-20-0 on this fall and tilling it in. Hopefully that will fix my mistake. I will add the onions are making a great crop. I just want the rain to stop and some warmer weather so I can pull them to dry. I think we've had the wettest August ever. The wheat and barley farmers west of us at lower elevation are losing their crops due to head sprout.
Mike
  • Alc, hamman and oldedeeres have said thanks

#2 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted August 23, 2014 - 10:29 PM

Mike, I thought the whole midwest was dry, but I'm happy to hear you are still damp.

The womenfolk here canned salsa today.  That is a great day to be a fella with a bag of chips.  :dancingbanana:

Ben W.

#3 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,307 Thanks
  • 979 posts

Posted August 23, 2014 - 10:36 PM

We're west of the continental divide but it appears they're getting lots of rain in the Great plains.

Mike

#4 freedhardwoods OFFLINE  

freedhardwoods
  • Member No: 47074
  • 374 Thanks
  • 197 posts

Posted August 24, 2014 - 04:07 PM

We would have tomatoes by the bushel if most of them didn't split and/or rot. Everything in our garden has done well after a really slow/cold start.

I add lots of sawdust to my garden on a regular basis. Before tilling it in, I also scatter 46-0-0 urea at a rate equivilent to 1000 lbs/acre. The sawdust really improves the soil and the urea keeps the rotting sawdust and my plants happy.

• Alc and oldedeeres have said thanks

#5 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,646 Thanks
  • 7,675 posts

Posted August 24, 2014 - 06:02 PM

One thing about the wood chips, once they completely break down, the nitrogen is all released back into the soil.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#6 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,737 Thanks
  • 8,912 posts

Posted August 24, 2014 - 07:37 PM

We're west of the continental divide but it appears they're getting lots of rain in the Great plains.

Mike

Just got another 1" & 1/2 just now, we've been very blessed with recent rains. Weather has been near perfect since the last week of June.