24 replies to this topic

#16 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted August 24, 2014 - 09:25 PM

I'm on my phone right now but what I can see from here I would say go wake them up & buy it. Looks clean. From your own experience with MF you know it has a lot of good things going for you. I would say the inside of the hood is just moisture. Keep us up dated. Your making me nervous again...remember your 14 how long it took you to buy it.

I hope to go look at it Wednesday. I'm going to call him tomorrow morning. I would have gone sooner, but have been busy this past week.

Edited by Gabriel, August 24, 2014 - 09:25 PM.

• Sawdust said thank you

#17 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted August 24, 2014 - 09:27 PM

Why are you considering?  Why aren't you driving to get it!    :deadhorse:

That is a beautiful original looking tractor.  Good looking original tractors are getting scarce.

I don't but the five hour gag.  I put more than five hours a year on mine just simply moving my tractors in and out of the shop once a month or so.  If he only put five hours on it in 16 years, he has more money than sense.  Just saying.

As far as engine work goes, it is a Tecumseh HH100 cast iron engine.  It will run forever as long as the oil stays in the right place.  Did it smoke when you ran it?  Does it hesitate when you ramp the throttle wide open from idle? 

Go get it and then let me know how the tests go.  :rolling:

Ben W.

Thanks, I'll try your tests!

• superaben said thank you

#18 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted August 24, 2014 - 09:40 PM

I'd buy that if they are not asking $$$$ for it. The moisture on the hood looks like maybe oil got on there or soot from the exhaust if it was running rich, like on choke. Looks low hours to me,  5 hrs or 150 it's still in better shape then any I've seen. 

If it is not original than whoever has it did an amazing job of cleaning it!!!!!  I don't even see any dirt or grime around the carb where you would normally see it, even after 10 hour of use dirt will build up there and be a tell tale sign.  I agree that the blade has definitely been repainted, but otherwise I would say very nice machine, better than anything I have here.  I know this is against the rule but how much $$$$$  That would be the deciding factor for me. some people think these old gt's in good cond are solid gold.  Good luck and keep us posted

Pete

He originally wanted $1000 for it (it came with a lawn roller, spreader, sweeper). I called him and he said he would only come down to $800 for just the tractor and blade. I thought that seemed a bit high, so I asked to see some pictures. I wanted to see if it really looked as good as he says it is. It looked overall very nice, but not nice enough to give $800. If I really knew it had VERY FEW ours, I might have paid that for it. I offered him $500, but he didn't want to go that low (he's trying to raise money so he won't loose his farm, and, someone else said that they would give him $1000, and that was without even looking at the tractor). I told him to keep me in mind. He called me last Tuesday and said that he couldn't reach the other person and would take my $500 offer (I think he's also pressed to raise the money he needs).

Edited by Gabriel, August 25, 2014 - 09:15 PM.

#19 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted August 24, 2014 - 09:48 PM

I can't see the tractor in person, but I would be tempted if it is as good as the pictures look for $500.

Ben W.

• Sawdust and Gabriel have said thanks

#20 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted August 24, 2014 - 10:09 PM

I can't see the tractor in person, but I would be tempted if it is as good as the pictures look for $500.

Ben W.

I hope it's as good as he says, and how it looks. We'll find out this week. Thankfully I'll be able to see it in person.

I so would like to find a Massey that's in working condition. Hopefully this will be the right one.

If I buy it, I will probably sell the blade. I really would like to find a mower deck for it.

Edited by Gabriel, August 24, 2014 - 10:11 PM.

#21 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted August 24, 2014 - 10:24 PM

I wish we were closer together.  My Massey deck would fit your machine, and I would rather have a snowblade.  We could work out a great trade.

:wallbanging:

Ben W.

• Sawdust and Gabriel have said thanks

#22 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 25, 2014 - 04:12 AM

Around here even a beat up abused MF10 would get 500$. Different market for sure. You need to go look at it and drive it. I always look at the steering/front axle to help determine hrs. If the axle bushings and the centre pivot, tie rod ends, steering linkage etc are all tight that's a good sign of low hours. I carry a small floor jack and lift the front end up to check this stuff. 

• trowel and Gabriel have said thanks

#23 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted August 25, 2014 - 05:44 AM

I hope it's as good as he says, and how it looks. We'll find out this week. Thankfully I'll be able to see it in person.

I so would like to find a Massey that's in working condition. Hopefully this will be the right one.

If I buy it, I will probably sell the blade. I really would like to find a mower deck for it.

I wish we were closer together.  My Massey deck would fit your machine, and I would rather have a snowblade.  We could work out a great trade.

Ben W.

Fastenal, 3PL.

• Gabriel said thank you

#24 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted August 25, 2014 - 06:15 PM

Fastenal, 3PL.

I hear that.  :wave: :smilewink:

Ben W.

• trowel and Gabriel have said thanks

#25 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted August 25, 2014 - 08:27 PM

Ben W.

Well, if shipping would not cost too much, maybe we could work out a deal. I'm going to look at (and hopefully purchase) it Wednesday evening. I think he would like to get more $ out of the tractor than what I offered (someone he knows thought $500 was way to low), but I still think he will take my offer, if I do buy it.

Edited by Gabriel, August 25, 2014 - 09:23 PM.