2 replies to this topic

#1 hammerdwn20 OFFLINE  

hammerdwn20

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2133
  • 98 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted August 23, 2014 - 08:24 PM

My machine has 2400hours on it and probably 100 different operators because i beileve it was a rental at some point in its life. With that being said the hoe was way loose. I could wiggle the boom with my hand  about 6 inches. Machine was already down with a blown hose and i had some bushing material so why not.

First was the bushings in the main swing tower pin

phone pics 050.jpg

Swing tower removed

phone pics 051.jpg

New bushings machined down

phone pics 052.jpg

Pressed in

Next was the oblong holes in the lower boom pin. The pin keepers were discarded at some time by a previous owner so the pin and lower boom had all the wear instead of where is mounts on the swing tower. 

phone pics 056.jpg

This is how i handled the worn holes in the boom. I tacked a bushing the size of a hole saw that was big enough to make a round hole again. I was going to attempt to build a line boring but this actually worked really well considering there was no metal for the pilot bit on the hole saw to hold it centered.

phone pics 057.jpg

phone pics 058.jpg

Heres the bushing i eventually welded in to restore the hole to one inch.  I made a new 1" pin and 3/8" pin keepers as well.  The hoe is so much tighter now. quite happy with how well it turned out

• Alc, Username and Gabriel have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted August 24, 2014 - 05:21 AM

That should help it a lot. Good thinking on the pilot for the hole saw. I use a chunk of 1" oak to hold mine to do something like this.

• hammerdwn20 said thank you

#3 hammerdwn20 OFFLINE  

hammerdwn20

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2133
  • 98 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted August 24, 2014 - 07:41 AM

That should help it a lot. Good thinking on the pilot for the hole saw. I use a chunk of 1" oak to hold mine to do something like this.

Now that you mention it i remember using wood to hold concrete core drills from walking when first starting to drill.

• KennyP said thank you