• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • Member No: 46384
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted August 22, 2014 - 10:34 PM

TSC had a 10% off sale going on, sooooo, had to get a new.... tool.  Been a long time since I have done any welding, been wanting/needing to do some so I got a new Hobart 210 wire feed welder.  Got it home and unpacked last night, but could not get the wire to feed without kinking to save my life.  Well, It was kinda late and I was kinda tired.  So this morning, I had a couple cups of coffee to wake me up, went to the garage and gave a look.  Man, I must have been tired last night.  I had put the *free* spool of wire in it but did not tighten the nut very well... what happened... the spool unwound itself.  It was catching/kinking right off the bat.  grrrrr, ya, call me a dingy.  It had pretty much tied it's self into a big knot.  I removed the spool, went ahead and unwound most of it to remove the knots/kinks then rewound it tight as I could.  Fed it through and it worked great... got ta remember.... must have tension.... dingy.  I figured this spool, what is left will not last long, sure lost a lot of wire.  Went back to town *TSC* and picked up a new spool.  I will try to use what came with the machine but I figure I kinda fubar'd the spool, we will see.  I sure hate ruining free stuff... free... LOL  Now I just need to figure out what is going to be my first project.... what shall it be.  I think first, I need to find some junk iron and refresh myself on the art of welding.  I have a bud coming over in a couple days that is a certified welder, going to look over my shoulder.  I think I will ask him to help me build/weld a new cart for the Hobart, then I'm thinking a 3-point to sleeve hitch for my Snapper.  I love tools... hehehe.

• hamman, KennyP, JDBrian and 8 others have said thanks

#2 Lmiller3358 OFFLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,332 Thanks
  • 1,317 posts

Posted August 23, 2014 - 04:37 AM

Don't feel bad, I did the same thing when my buddy got a new wire feed last Christmas....I think it was 210 also,,, was frustrating , quite comical at first,,,,oh, we found it helps if you do  what no man hardly does ,,,, read the INSTRUCTIONS lol,,,,btw, its a great little welder !!

• tinbender7 said thank you

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,395 Thanks
  • 39,658 posts

Posted August 23, 2014 - 05:01 AM

I use a Hobart 140. Love that little welder.

#4 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted August 23, 2014 - 05:25 AM

Congratulations on your purchase. New "toys" are always fun!!

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 23, 2014 - 06:08 AM

You have lots of company. I pulled the same trick with the 1/2 lb free spool that came with my wire feed. Thanks for reminding me about this. I plan on ding some welding later today and need to put on a new spool!! 

#6 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,626 Thanks
  • 2,579 posts

Posted August 23, 2014 - 06:41 AM

I used an old pressure washer cart to make a cart for my Hobart 140 wire feed welder. I like new toys , ahhhh tools also. Just finished wiring most tof the shop. Now no more extension cords lying around. Here is a pic of my cart.  Good luck.                          Roger.

DSCF7090.JPG

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,252 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted August 23, 2014 - 06:49 AM

A lot of guys will build a cart as their first project.
Looking forward to seeing what you build.

#8 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted August 23, 2014 - 06:58 AM

it's always great get new tools or toy's. Congrats on your new toy.