• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Tdesmeule OFFLINE  

Tdesmeule
  • Member No: 58889
  • 3 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted August 22, 2014 - 07:28 PM

Hello everyone, I'm a rather new member, and this is my first shout out for some help.. Simply put I bought a ford lgt 145, pretty much on a whim for $350. I had no idea what the year was or just how bad it was, but I figured it out soon enough.. FYI it is a 1974, Kohler 321 (14 hp), the model number is 09jc3310 and it came with a mower deck that was is pretty tough shape. The deck is an early one from what I determined, as the front rollers were adjustable. The model number is 09jc9826, and well after countless hours and learning how to weld in the process I'm almost at a point i can use it again. My issue really comes down to two things.

#1. My deck hanger/hooks on the back are pretty much chewed by a wolverine.. I'm talking these things are worn out wicked bad.

#2. My front rollers are actually becoming idler wheels now, and it have no idea on if these should be adjustable or not, let alone what the actual height should be say from the bottom of the blade to the bottom of the wheel

If anyone could please assist me I would greatly appreciate it. I wish I could have got reference points to where things should be mounted but everything had been re-welded by the previous owner and I really don't think they kept anything properally aligned.. Additionally the front movable roller brackets were missing, and the front mounts they attached to were cut off and re welded to a plate to beef up the front. (If I had to guess they are not accurate for placement heights.. I know it's a big order, but if someone does have a deck intact and could just take pics with a tape measure for reference points it would be a huge help! I have done a lot of searching and haven't had any luck getting a clear measurement.

#2 TomLGT195 ONLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,805 Thanks
  • 2,208 posts

Posted August 22, 2014 - 09:18 PM

Well let's start with a Welcome to GT Talk. And pics would help with the issues you wish to resolve. I believe you have an open side? But confirmation would help. Tom

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted August 23, 2014 - 05:16 AM

:wave: Welcome to the forum. There are a few members with the open side tractors on here. Maybe one of them has a deck like yours. If we don't get much feedback here, we may move this to the Ford/Jacobsen forum for more exposure to those folks. Pic help can be found in the link in my signature.

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,544 posts

Posted August 23, 2014 - 06:42 AM

Welcome to GTT. You have a great tractor there. I'm in the process of rebuilding an LGT125 and look forward to using it. First, you need to post pictures. Second, you should look through our Manuals Section to download the info that you need. You are allowed 3 free downloads per day. It may be a pain for now to fix it up but, when it is all fixed up right, you will love it. Good Luck, Rick

#5 Rock farmer ONLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted August 23, 2014 - 07:39 AM

Welcome to Gttalk!
I have three of these decks.
Sounds like you should come up to my place and measure them for yourself!
But I can take some pictures for You.
Where abouts in Mass are You?

Joe

Edited by Rock farmer, August 23, 2014 - 07:40 AM.

• KennyP said thank you

#6 Tdesmeule OFFLINE  

Tdesmeule
  • 3 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted August 23, 2014 - 08:38 AM

Hey guys thanks for the responses, and yes it is an open sided model, I'm attaching a bunch of pictures mostly of the deck. I have been raiding the Manuel section on a regular basis and I do appreciate the tip!

As you can see in the pic the deck is in pretty rough shape, the front roller mounts are aweful, and yes take full credit for that hack! I do plan on cutting some of it off. I tried getting the adjustable bracket through the local new holland dealer and there was no luck there, in addition I was going to have to buy new rollers and all because the ones on mine were splitting anyways, so I figured I would just modify it to work with an easily found part that costs $7. As you can tell I am not a welder by any means but nothing my angle grinder can't fix and a little body filler!

As for coming up to York I would seriously consider doing that if needed! I live about an hour and 30 min away, in Medway, Ma.

Please note I included in the pics one of my blade tip actually sitting slightly lower than the deck! I did rebuild the spindles with new bearings and keys, I am fully certain that was done correctly

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

• KennyP said thank you

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted August 23, 2014 - 10:02 AM

That does have a little wear here and there! It looks real similar to my 09jc9838 deck. I might be able to get some measurements off it if need be.

#8 Tdesmeule OFFLINE  

Tdesmeule
  • 3 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted August 23, 2014 - 10:19 AM

If you could it would be great! I would love to be able to cut down the jungle this weekend! Lol I have new blades arriving today, so hopefully I can at least determine if part of my issue is bent blades... I noticed on the deck when I have it mounted it is nowhere close to sitting level forward and backward, I don't know if this is correct or not.. I would expect the front should sit lower by maybe a quarter inch.. Not the inch like it does!!

#9 Rock farmer ONLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted August 23, 2014 - 10:19 AM

These are what my mower decks look like.
They are interchangeable from open side to closed side.
The one on the tractor is 42".(photo 1)
The other two are 50".

1.image.jpg
2.image.jpg
3.image.jpg

Joe

#10 Tdesmeule OFFLINE  

Tdesmeule
  • 3 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted August 23, 2014 - 10:40 AM

Thank you rock farmer! These pics actually explain a lot of my issues now that I see how your deck hooks on. My rear brackets are way out from being correct. As for the front wheels I'd say the bottom of the roller probably sits an inch and a half below the blades if I had to guess..

If I'm right are these front wheels only there's to prevent the mower from digging into soil on hills right? Not to contact the ground at all times?

#11 Tdesmeule OFFLINE  

Tdesmeule
  • 3 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted August 23, 2014 - 10:55 AM

If it's possible could I get a straight on side pic of the rear hooks? From what I can tell they should basically come straight up from the rear vertical face of the deck.. Not like the way mine are..

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

#12 Rock farmer ONLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted August 23, 2014 - 11:36 AM

Those front rollers are what the deck rides on whenever it is lowered and you are mowing.
Wore out rollers, shafts and holes are what produce a really poor mowing result!
The rear hooks are straight up from the back of the deck.
The shaft on the carriage should be 7" above the rear lip of the deck and 2-1/8" in from the back of the deck.

1.image.jpg
2.image.jpg

Joe

#13 Rock farmer ONLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted August 23, 2014 - 12:04 PM

Oh, and the centerline of the shaft for the front rollers should be at the edge of the bottom of the deck.
So, fully half the roller is below the metal edge of the deck.

Joe

#14 Tdesmeule OFFLINE  

Tdesmeule
  • 3 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted August 23, 2014 - 01:02 PM

Excellent! Thank you a ton! That makes a world of difference, I no longer feel like I just wasted like $200 on this mower deck in parts! Sounds to me like its time to go break out the grinder and do some cutting!!

I was going to say it sounds pretty stupid to me to not have the front rollers on the ground!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 09jc9826rebuild, addicted and going bankrupt, ford lgt, jacobsen gt