• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,754 Thanks
  • 7,525 posts

Posted August 22, 2014 - 10:02 AM

I bought a Simpicity 3310 with mower and plow several months ago. The seller drove it onto my trailer. It was $200 and I thought it was a pretty good deal. First I had to pull the engine to get the mouse nest out of the engine and clean the tractors' front. I then tried to adjust the varidrive without success. I took the rear pulley apart, sanded the rust and lubricated it. I could not get the front pulley off but atleast I had one gear of the varidrive now. The clutch still didn't work right. I found an adjusting sequence in the shop manual.

I started as it said with the parking brake which turned out to be okay. I then went to the brake and found that it was way too tight. When it was adjusted correctly the clutch needed adjustment. When that was done the belt brake(the guard on the clutch idler pulley) needed adjustment. Now it works pretty good but still has only one varidrive speed. When I find the correct size puller, the front varidrive will be fixed.

The morale of this story is to follow the proper sequence when adjusting components on your tractor. I wasted abunch of time on the clutch before I adjusted the brakes. Good Luck, Rick

• Bill56, Alc, HDWildBill and 3 others have said thanks

#2 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,626 Thanks
  • 2,579 posts

Posted August 22, 2014 - 10:52 AM

My BIL had nearly the same problem with a 7014 S. Once he read the manual I gave him and adjusted it as it said, he says now it works great.   Thanks.      Roger.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted August 22, 2014 - 01:05 PM

When all else fails read the directions!  The first thing I do when I get a new piece of equipment in the shop is go on line and see if I can get a manual for it.  Even if it is just an owner manual they still have a lot of good info in there.

• Bill56, GTTinkerer and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,448 Thanks
  • 1,601 posts

Posted August 22, 2014 - 01:59 PM

I bought this 1966 Briggs manual at a yard sale years ago and just found it. I forgot I even had the thing. It's funny that there's a service bulletin inside mentioning the Landlord and B series tractors. I had this manual long before I owned any of these machines. It is coming in handy when working on these engines.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20140822_142937-1.jpg
  • 20140822_142807.jpg
  • 20140822_142807-1.jpg

#5 TomLGT195 ONLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,797 Thanks
  • 2,196 posts

Posted August 22, 2014 - 02:00 PM

When all else fails read the directions!  The first thing I do when I get a new piece of equipment in the shop is go on line and see if I can get a manual for it.  Even if it is just an owner manual they still have a lot of good info in there.

ditto that