Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Need Help From A Surveyer

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted August 22, 2014 - 08:41 AM

If anyone has experience with surveys, I sure would like to hear from you.  I have a sidewalk that I am trying to design the deck for and it's throwing me a curve (literally).  The sidewalk is as straight as an arrow until I get to the south end.  They give me angles and radii which is great but it's the way they give the angles that I am not familiar with.  Each angle has the letters "AZ" in front of them.  I tried looking this up and I think what this means is the angles are given clockwise instead of counter clockwise.  For instance, the angle 355 degrees, 01', 53" in the regular world would angle down from left to right going counter clockwise because it's just shy of the full 360 degrees.  This one angles up from left to right making it just shy of the full 360 degrees in the clockwise direction.  Is my thinking right on this?

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,772 Thanks
  • 7,538 posts

Posted August 22, 2014 - 08:48 AM

AZ means azimuth. It is a direction starting at North is 0 degrees, East is 90 deg, South is 180 deg, and West is 270 deg. You have to be carefull if they are using magnetic or true. It is just a 360 deg circle and is less confusing than the old E30N system of 200 years ago. Good Luck, Rick

The curves could also be getting into the info for laying them out. This gets pretty complicated unless the radius is small.  

Edited by boyscout862, August 22, 2014 - 08:51 AM.

• MH81 and superaben have said thanks

#3 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted August 22, 2014 - 08:53 AM

AZ means azimuth. It is a direction starting at North is 0 degrees, East is 90 deg, South is 180 deg, and West is 270 deg. You have to be carefull if they are using magnetic or true. It is just a 360 deg circle and is less confusing than the old E30N system of 200 years ago. Good Luck, Rick

The curves could also be getting into the info for laying them out. This gets pretty complicated unless the radius is small.  

OK, you verified my thinking in much better words than I did.  Thanks.

• MH81 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted August 22, 2014 - 09:19 AM

Do you have the chord bearing?
  • David Brown said thank you

#5 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted August 22, 2014 - 09:56 AM

Do you have the chord bearing?

Only what they give me on the drawings.  These drawings are weird.  The south abutment is at the northern most end and vise-versa.  Sometimes I just have to take what I get an run with it.  These angles struck me odd though so I thought I better do a little research.

#6 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted August 22, 2014 - 01:07 PM

If u running cadd scan their drawing in that will give u basic line work to go by. Set up ur rad's to even foot for layout.

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,616 posts

Posted August 22, 2014 - 05:25 PM

Suunto is what we used to use for our stuff when putting in sat dishes. They could adjust the azimuth for true vs magnetic given your approximate location.image.jpg

#8 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 22, 2014 - 06:18 PM

Pm me if still con fused

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,443 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted August 22, 2014 - 06:36 PM

HUH????? I'm lost already!

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#10 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,392 Thanks
  • 1,528 posts

Posted August 23, 2014 - 07:19 AM

ditto.

#11 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted August 23, 2014 - 09:38 AM

I think a chord bearing is used in a peerless rearend.

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#12 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted August 23, 2014 - 11:19 AM

To illustrate what I am up against here, indulge me.  I did the first half of this sidewalk earlier this year.  It had many cutouts for hand rails and lamp posts and whatever on both sides of the walkway.  At first, everything was spaced the same so there was a lot of repeat panels for my material.  AFTER I got the job done and submitted for approval, someone said :something isn't right" and sent a survey crew out to see what was going on.  They discovered that the posts were not spaced the same and my material had to break with one set of posts and have cutouts for the randomly spaced posts on the other side.  This made EVERY sidewalk panel different, each requiring its own drawing.  The first survey that came in simply baffled me.  They started at one point and shot the next, then moved to that spot and shot the next and so on.  You don't survey like that, even I know that.  I refused to accept that survey and told them HOW to survey.  So they sent me the new survey in 5 or 6 parts and I got the thing done.  Around 500 drawings worth in two months.  Many of the cutouts were in the wrong place BECAUSE OF THAT SURVEY.  Wasn't the fault of my company because of the way I detailed the job.  Anyway, we have the same survey crew doing this half from what I understand.  Gives me a warm feeling right away.  I have two goals here.  1. Make sure this thing is right and fits.  2. If that doesn't happen, make sure its not our fault.  That's the shame of it, you have to think that way.  Backcharges on a bridge job are not pleasant and can be a killer to a small company like mine.  I have enough info now to get through this much in the same fashion that I did the first half.  I hope to be done with this one before Christmas but who knows.  This sidewalk has a few curved areas at the end and the survey crew surveyed it as if it's straight.  Oh joy!  So, there you have it.  If you ever meet me in person and ask me what I do, I usually say I draw squares.  Now you will know better what that means.

#13 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted August 23, 2014 - 05:17 PM

Do you have the point file from the survey crew. You should have shots at the pc poc pt etc.. if they located it correctly. Then u could draw in your curves.

Edited by jabelman, August 23, 2014 - 05:18 PM.