• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tom tractor OFFLINE  

tom tractor
  • Member No: 51604
  • 179 Thanks
  • 193 posts

Posted August 22, 2014 - 05:33 AM

Strange question.  But what is the best GT for mowing with a child on board.  You know - put the child in your lap and mow.  I am thinking a foot hydro.  Spot for them to stand between your legs.  Enough room for them and driver. Reliable.  Etc...  I just wanted models of tractors.

• hamman, skyrydr2 and Talntedmrgreen have said thanks

#2 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,361 Thanks
  • 3,129 posts

Posted August 22, 2014 - 05:55 AM

It isn't ideal but I do it with mine because it keeps them out of the way. My son is the younger so he gets most of the riding. Power steering really helps here, as I have a free hand to hold on to him . Best part is the deck raise lever is rightat my finger tips of my left hand perfect access too . As he rides on my right leg. He might be able to sit on the seat while standing in thw middle but it rwquires too muxh steering input to do my yard . All this is done on my LGT 165 diesel. Niko loves to sit on it and play when we're not mowing or towing something with it.
  • hamman and Talntedmrgreen have said thanks

#3 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,714 Thanks
  • 864 posts

Posted August 22, 2014 - 06:05 AM

not a good idea in any tractor, i have heard of so many tragic accidents happening . and i too was guilty of sitting my kids on my lap while mowing until i wisened up by reading of a accident in our local paper which severly injured a child

• hamman, superaben and Arti have said thanks

#4 KennyP OFFLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,679 Thanks
  • 39,056 posts

Posted August 22, 2014 - 06:13 AM

I had to have a 3" piece of baling wire taken out of my arm from a mower bouncing it off a building. I don't like mowing with anyone in the yard!

• hamman said thank you

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,711 Thanks
  • 28,354 posts

Posted August 22, 2014 - 06:21 AM

I think many of the members are guilty of this activity, but it is dangerous and not advised by any manufacturer that I am aware of.
  • hamman, Jack and superaben have said thanks

#6 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,361 Thanks
  • 3,129 posts

Posted August 22, 2014 - 07:15 AM

than  I know its not ideal but I feel he is safer with me if he is outdoors while I'm mowing. And he likes the riding and operation inputs .

It is not ideal for sure, but how else would they learn... Like the neighbor? has someone else do it ? Not in my world and not as long as I am still able to teach him . Hopefully in a few years he will be able to do it all by him self with the UTmost respect of the equipment he is operating.

My father did this, my grandfather did it for my father, and I will continue, it has worked for 3 generations. ALL my brothers can operate heavy equipment and did so from a very young age too , under 8 . Dad was petty proud too, as Derek and Wayne could run a dozer and hold a grade as good or better than anyone in the area. And myself, I was  the loader operator and could do the same with a backhoe.

Just pay attention and exercise total discipline for your self and your trainee.

• Bolens 1000, GTTinkerer, hamman and 3 others have said thanks

#7 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,052 Thanks
  • 2,166 posts

Posted August 22, 2014 - 08:27 AM

I much prefer foot hydro and power steering for this type of thing.  I have complete control with the touch of a toe and finger.  I also have an armrest kit and tilt steering that sort of 'fences' the two of is in.  I look forward to it (as does my son) each week.  He gets to ride along on the flat areas of my lawn, and goes inside with Mom when it's time to mow my slopes.  All I have to do is mention 'tractor ride' and he goes running for his ear muffs..cherished time for Dad and Son.  he is almost too big, and I'm guilty of mowing extra this summer, just to sneak in some more rides with him.  It's not only mowing...he rides with me just for kicks, most weeks.

You need to balance common sense, enjoyment and respect of the equipment with your own personal parenting.  You have the joy, pleasure and responsibility to raise young ones AND work with GT's.  Blend them as you see fit...you seem like a reasonable father.  My favorite time with tractors, is spent sharing them with my young son.  Accidents happen, and as parents we work tirelessly to minimize any risk to our kids.  Raise him right, and he will learn respect for the machines you enjoy.  I accept the fact that any tractor time, is more time spent cautioning and standing over my son as he grows and learns and soaks up everything Dad does.  Real project time for me now happens after his bedtime.

It sure cuts down on time to get stuff done, but it is infinitely more enjoyable to have him around, than when I tinkered alone.

If I could caution any parent who has a kid around GT's...it's to watch out and guard your hot mufflers.  There is nothing worse than seeing a kid realize that pain, as a complete surprise.

• hamman and skyrydr2 have said thanks

#8 hamman OFFLINE  

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,528 Thanks
  • 2,552 posts

Posted August 22, 2014 - 08:29 AM

To spend some time with my daughter and son when they were little, I used to do this. I had an old Sears LT to start with and then when I got my dad's Homelite I used to carry them with me. The hydro on the Homelite was much better than the stick on the old Sears. No it wasn't right to do this but it was a way for them to help me with the mowing and also taught them respect for the tractor as well as an introduction into driving them and driving in general. My neighbor bought a new Husqvarna zero turn and when his son and grand son mow for him they have their daughters sit on the pan between their feet to ride along with using some sort of safety glasses and hearing protectors. Their kids love it and It appears they are safe while doing so.   JM2CW.                                                     Roger.

• skyrydr2 said thank you