• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 T Guiles OFFLINE  

T Guiles
  • Member No: 39800
  • 952 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted August 22, 2014 - 03:04 AM

Sorry about the unlimited questions lately but I'm just trying to learn a little about pulling. I am wondering  about pulley sizes used for pulling. I am guessing, and please correct me if I am wrong, I am in the need for a 4 inch pulley. I have a stock briggs that has a 3 and a half inch pulley on it and the gt I intend on pulling is built a bit. The one that is on there is HUGE.... 8 inches, and it'll run down the road about 45 mph NOT good for anything but ticking off the neighbor's. I do have a 6 inch pulley on the spare motor but I don't think that having that much wheel speed would help when the weight transfers and don't have the horse power to lug it down the track. PLEASE help and input would be great. One more question, does anybody pull with wheel weights on their GT? I don't plan on turning the higher wheel speed's so I don't think it'll hurt.   A few pic's of the lemon, by the way I took the shameful number off the side, Who's Jeff Gordon any way?                                                                                                                                                                 001.JPG                                                                                                           002.JPG                                                                                                            003.JPG                                                                                                          I also was informed tonight that I am just the owner, My boy is the operator, and his friends are the crew     :smilewink:                                                                                               

• superaben and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#2 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,221 posts

Posted August 22, 2014 - 05:37 AM

You are correct in one aspect, putting a larger pulley on the rear and smaller on the front will slow it down and give you more power.  On the other hand if they are pulling with a transfer sled and the motor is built you may want the speed of the rear end to build up momentum while the weight is at the rear of the sled.  I am sure other here know more about this than me and will be along to help, you will need to play around a bit to get it to your liking.

Pete

• TomLGT195 said thank you

#3 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted August 22, 2014 - 08:17 AM

Don't go too small on the engine pulley as it needs the surface area so it won't slip, most guys pulling with belt rigs are using larger pulleys both on the engine and on the rear . You can pull in a lower gear to off set this speed. REMEMBER Things in motion Stay in motion! So the heavier the pulleys are too will help as long as it is a transfer sled and the track is long. If your pulling a stone boat ... its a whole different ball of wax... you need brute strength and grunt with absurd traction and weight balance. 

Transfer sleds are a lot easier on the machine but still require good balance,hp and traction but don't need the brutal grunt or strength as stone boating because the load sneaks up on you at speed thus running you down in a higher gear lessening the stresses on the powertrain but not the engine . 

There are WAY too many variables to give even an  educated guess on your tractor so you need to play around and "test pull" to test all your variables !! no other way around this. Even in finite element analysis you cant get it perfect, close mind you , but not perfect.(Evil scientist laugh inserted here). 

• TomLGT195, T Guiles and petrj6 have said thanks

#4 Cheetah OFFLINE  

Cheetah
  • Member No: 35081
  • 57 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted August 22, 2014 - 10:11 AM

Hmm, that tractor looks sorta familiar...

IMG_0281.jpg

This was back in 2008. It's running 2 Kohler 12hp motors (25hp limit).

I wonder if it's the same rig? This tractor came from central VT.

• T Guiles said thank you

#5 T Guiles OFFLINE  

T Guiles
  • 952 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted August 22, 2014 - 11:37 PM

That is too funny, I'm not sure if it's the same gt tho their is a few things different. But it could very well be the one. I did go and buy a couple belts and pulleys. The one that was on it was huge great for speed so we put a 5 inch on it and it was better but I'm not sure if it'd even start to move a sled. We did a test pull in the drive way with a skid with some weight on it and in third it'd smoke the belt and second all it'd do is spin the tires. Tomorrow we'll be going to get a larger pulley for the rear. We have a lot to learn as long as the boy wants to try I'm up for it. Thanks again for all the help. Cheetah this one is said to be from Pa but who knows

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted August 23, 2014 - 06:51 AM

Glad you're getting the pulleys figured out.
What kind of belts are you using?

#7 T Guiles OFFLINE  

T Guiles
  • 952 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted August 24, 2014 - 10:56 PM

I only have the belt that came on it and one I bought. The later is a Gates hi power 2. We still have a LONG way to go but we also don't have much money into it yet, I don't want to get too deep because if the newness wears off and the driver and crew don't want to do it I'm not left broke.

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted August 24, 2014 - 11:24 PM

Just keep in mind that you want as much surface contact as you can get. Make sure all pulleys are the same pitch and width

#9 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted August 25, 2014 - 06:16 AM

Just keep in mind that you want as much surface contact as you can get. Make sure all pulleys are the same pitch and width

I agree and think that now would be a great time to go to 5/8" pulleys and belts, both for the surface area and belt strength.

• MH81 and T Guiles have said thanks