• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Cheetah OFFLINE  

Cheetah
  • Member No: 35081
  • 57 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted August 22, 2014 - 12:04 AM

Hopefully someone smarter than me can help with my Simplicity 7015S tractor. Best I can figure it's a 1972.

It has a 15hp single cylinder Briggs with a one piece Flo-Jet carb. I just recently put new gaskets in the carb, and cleaned it out.

What's happening is... It'll run for a 1/2 hour or so, then just die. Also, whenever the throttle goes past 1/2 way, the engine dies out. It seems to me that the high speed part if the carb isn't working properly. I have tried adjusting the screws, but to no avail.

I am wondering if I'm going about this the wrong way. While I understand the Flo-Jets can be a bear to tune, is there somewhere else I should be looking? I am wondering if the points could be the problem.

Gas is fresh, spark plug is new (and has plenty of spark).

Any help is appreciated... :)

• hamman said thank you

#2 T Guiles OFFLINE  

T Guiles
  • Member No: 39800
  • 952 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted August 22, 2014 - 03:25 AM

Is there any blockage in the fuel system that could be causing fuel shortages, maybe something floating around in the tank that get's sucked down to the outlet? If it's got spark, compression, and fuel it should run, the crappy fuel we have now tends to eat the rubber gaskets, and fuel lines. I had a holley on my velle that was rebuilt and ran great for about 6 months, after pulling it apart it was full of little pieces of rubber, chunks  of fuel line.  I don't know, just my 2 cent's and it's the first thing that came to mind. Good luck and please post when you figure it out.

• Alc, hamman and Cheetah have said thanks

#3 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,449 Thanks
  • 6,616 posts

Posted August 22, 2014 - 05:39 AM

I know how tuff it can be chasing this . I don't know anything about this carb but I had a different one that I thought I cleaned all the passages , had it on and off about 4 times until I found a little hole plugged in the side of main pick-up tube ( might not be correct term  )   It might be helpful if you can find the explanation of how the carb works and maybe find where the fuel/air  flows during the time your having troubles . Good luck  

• hamman and Cheetah have said thanks

#4 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,627 Thanks
  • 2,580 posts

Posted August 22, 2014 - 11:09 AM

By plenty of spark is it a nice blue spark or a weak white spark. Sounds weird but there is a difference. When we tuned my Homelite T-16H it had good spark but would not run properly. While it was running mt BIL adjusted and adjusted on the points until it ran fine. Secured the points and put a spark tester on it and the spark was bright and crisp. ( I always thought there should be a way to test the spark at proper setting to tell what the correct voltage would be. My dad had a tester for Oil furnace transformers that would light up and tell you what the voltage was + - 10 volts. Haven't been able to find one since) Before it was a white color and dim. I also agree with T Guiles there may be something in the tank or line or inline filter causing a blockage. I believe that is a plastic tank and is held by two rubber bands. I would suggest pulling the tank and cleaning it out. The next step after cleaning the tank would be a new gas line or inspect the old line to make sure there are no leaks, cracks etc., that would cause air to leak in. I had to replace three lines this year due to them collapsing inside from the ethanol. I now only use ethanol free fuel or I use a fuel stabilizer. You might want to try Mechanic In A Bottle also. I did on an old push mower and I was very impressed.   Good Luck.                                                                                         Roger.

Edited by hamman, August 22, 2014 - 11:09 AM.

• Alc and Cheetah have said thanks

#5 B10Dave OFFLINE  

B10Dave

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1808
  • 386 Thanks
  • 250 posts

Posted August 23, 2014 - 09:19 PM

Check your fuel cap vent hole.

• Cheetah said thank you

#6 Cheetah OFFLINE  

Cheetah
  • 57 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted August 27, 2014 - 11:50 PM

Thanks for the replies...

It does have a nice blue spark, and I did check the gas cap for venting... no help (but thanks for the suggestion)

I guess I was hoping for someone who knew a thing or 2 about the Flo-Jet carbs. As I stated, anytime the throttle opens more than 1/2 way (thus getting on the high speed side of the carb), this is when it acts up. In case one doesn't know, there are 2 adjusting screws, and they are located at opposite ends of a main tube that runs through the middle of the carb. From what I can see, there is no gas coming into the carb on the high speed side of things.

Otherwise-haven't had much time to tinker with it as of late.

• hamman said thank you

#7 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,627 Thanks
  • 2,580 posts

Posted August 28, 2014 - 08:37 AM

Maybe you could go to You tube and look up a guy called ZIPPO. He has a lot of tutorials on those carbs. If you subscribe to his channel you can ask him questions on that carb. Not sure where the blockage would be. On My Homelite and my BILs Simplicity (both have the same carb) it was the needle and seat that was dirty. You just have to remember if you are going to rebuild the carb yo need to take the main jet (high speed jet) out first to disassemble the carb. Also take  care not to damage the threads on this jet with the screwdriver as you remove or replace it.   Did you try the Mechanic in a bottle yet? I just talked to a guy yesterday who used it in his motorcycle and it has cleared up the problem.    Good Luck.                                                                                 Roger.

• Cheetah said thank you

#8 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8044
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted September 07, 2014 - 02:44 PM

I am guessing that you have some trash in the emulsion tube. I have had issues like that that I have cleared up with a dose or two of SeaFoam.
  • Cheetah said thank you

#9 Cheetah OFFLINE  

Cheetah
  • 57 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted September 21, 2014 - 09:19 PM

Thanks guys, for your suggestions. Sorry to be so long getting back to this thread...

But.... I did finally solve the problem!! As it turned out, it was nothing to do with the carb. I put all new gaskets in the carb and cleaned it out completely, and it still ran the same. The other day, I took the carb off again just to recheck everything. While I had the carb off, I decided to check the points. The previous owner had put in a new set. I checked the gap, and it was over .030". A repair manual stated it should be .020", so I reset the gap to that. Put it all back together, fired it up, played with the jetting a little, and viola!!, she runs like a dream now! I ran it for almost an hour, and she would still rev up nicely from idle, something it had never done since I got it.

Sometimes it's just the little things that make all the difference!

• alec said thank you