IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted August 23, 2014 - 10:29 PM

That's a nice lookin cub, for the money.

Edited by IamSherwood, August 24, 2014 - 05:37 AM.

#17 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 23, 2014 - 10:36 PM

No, haven't talked to Alan in a couple weeks (day of his towns parade). I have been lucky enough to get in my bed at night before falling asleep lol.

#18 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 31, 2014 - 12:09 PM

Got some more work done on the 102 today.

I took a CC 682 steering column and the original in the 102 and assembled the best steering column I could with the parts I had. Used the 682 column with a gasket and cam bolt from the original column, since the original column came out in two pieces with bad bushings. Stuffed it all back in the tractor and dealt with the junk Cub Cadet steering wheel. Don't judge me, I have only one tractor to steel parts off of that will fit a Cadet.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409505120.221107.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409505139.199977.jpg

Anyone have an IH decal that will cover the Deere lol.
  • farmerall said thank you

#19 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted September 01, 2014 - 01:09 PM

Just came in from messing with the 102. Did some work to the drag link to take a 1/2" of length out of it. The reason for this was to make the tractor steer sharper to the right. Before I had real sharp lefts and real long rights. Now I didn't get it perfect, nor drive it to see, but it appears that it will do better turning right now. I think I only got 7/16" out of it though, and couldn't rob any more. The way it was Made I threaded more and cut some off the ends. No pics of the mod, should be self explanatory.

Edited by wvbuzzmaster, September 22, 2014 - 12:01 AM.

#20 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted September 01, 2014 - 01:11 PM

Oh, and thanks to Farmerall I should have a seat mount and pair of front wheels. Left front wheel shows the tube so the right probably isn't far behind.

#21 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted September 01, 2014 - 03:14 PM

Just came in from messing with the 102. Did some work to the drag link to take a 1/2" of length out of it. The reason for this was to make the tractor steer sharper to the right. Before I had real sharp lefts and real long rights. Now I didn't get it perfect, nor drive it to see, but it appears that it will do better turning right now. I think I only got 7/16" out of it though, and couldn't rob any more. The way it was Madeira threaded more and cut some off the ends. No pics of the mod, should be self explanatory.

That's the nature of the beast with them.  They all tend to steer to the left tighter, (helps with mowing up next to trees and other obstacles).  Another trick that can be done to help them turn tighter is to re-drill the holes in the steering arms a bit closer to the wheel so the drag link doesn't have to move as far to turn the wheels.

• wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#22 smokestack76 OFFLINE  

smokestack76
  • Member No: 39328
  • 83 Thanks
  • 86 posts

Posted September 01, 2014 - 03:54 PM

That's the nature of the beast with them. They all tend to steer to the left tighter, (helps with mowing up next to trees and other obstacles). Another trick that can be done to help them turn tighter is to re-drill the holes in the steering arms a bit closer to the wheel so the drag link doesn't have to move as far to turn the wheels.

Thanks for both the tips in this thread. I was just looking how to make my 102 steer better!

Sent via morse code from my front porch light
  • wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#23 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted September 05, 2014 - 10:17 PM

Just drove it this evening. It steers excellent and identically both to the left and right.

I also drained the transminnion of whatever ugliness was inside of it. Took me a while to decide, but I did end up filling it up with HyTran, but I did not buy from IH, went and bought Warren brand of tractor hydraulic transmission fluid. Figured it was a pretty good substitute. I was thinking of going the SAE 30 route, but didn't. Seems to drive good. I have a neat item in the mail and plan to install it next weekend. So I will be replacing my HyTran.

#24 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted September 22, 2014 - 12:10 AM

Little bit of a delay on the neat item I planned to install, but it will occur soon.
The parts from Farmerall have arrived, and I am closer to a seat. I took a universal fit low to mid back seat that came off the Caterpillar due to bad cushion a few years ago. On a side note i want to mention the most durable, and seamless seat repair I have seen besides duct tape. I had used black electrical tape on the seat before repacing it and then threw the seat outside in the elements. Three years in the elements and the tape looked so good i questioned why i replaced the seat lol, then remembered the foam had died too. The pan was good and I found a replacement cushion online, so hope that really fits. I did end up drilling new holes in the seat pan though, cause all those holes and none lined up to cub cadet lol. Next weekend I should have noticeable differences in the looks of the 102, so check back next weekend.
  • Bill56 said thank you

#25 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted September 22, 2014 - 03:32 AM

Sounds like a good fix Casey! I need to figure out some seat repairs too.

#26 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted September 29, 2014 - 12:02 AM

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411967132.086924.jpg