• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted August 20, 2014 - 07:26 AM

We've been buying fruits & veggies lately to put up for the winter & after reading Daniel's ( Olcowhand ) post about his corn got me thinking again about our farmers. I seen a bumper sticker on an old farm truck many years ago that read " Never before have so many been fed by so few farmers". This is even more critical today. I work in a lot of subdivisions where it use to be farms. My heart actually breaks thinking about the amount of work, & the sacrifice that families over the years put into these farms over many generations. My hat goes off to our Farmers. I personally want to thank you for feeding our country & my prayer is good health, prosperity & your fields be bountifully blessed.

• olcowhand, Bill56, jdslednut and 18 others have said thanks

#2 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted August 20, 2014 - 07:53 AM

Actually Olcowhand's blog thread on life on the farm has really opened my eyes on what it takes to run a farm and the amount of effort that goes into producing a living from a farm.  I'm not sure I could deal with all that he goes through on a daily basis.

• olcowhand, jdslednut, sacsr and 6 others have said thanks

#3 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted August 20, 2014 - 07:54 AM

Never "cuss" a farmer with your mouth full of food!

• jdslednut, JDBrian, sacsr and 5 others have said thanks

#4 twostacks OFFLINE  

twostacks

• Member No: 6470
  • 447 Thanks
  • 426 posts

Posted August 20, 2014 - 12:07 PM

Never "cuss" a farmer with your mouth full of food!

My grandfather had a bumper sticker on his old truck that read the same. "Don't talk bad about a farmer with your mouth full."

• sacsr, Sawdust and propane1 have said thanks

#5 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted August 20, 2014 - 12:37 PM

The city folk use to "cuss" us when we would drive a tractor down the road.

• Sawdust said thank you

#6 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted August 20, 2014 - 12:54 PM

yea in this modern era when so many people do not have a clue where there food comes from . its nice to know that those of us who till the ground...plant the seeds ...milk the cows and feed the other animals, are not doing it to get rich , but to make an honest living and a very rewording one at that.
  • MH81, oldedeeres, TomLGT195 and 2 others have said thanks

#7 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 20, 2014 - 01:53 PM

yea in this modern era when so many people do not have a clue where there food comes from . its nice to know that those of us who till the ground...plant the seeds ...milk the cows and feed the other animals, are not doing it to get rich , but to make an honest living and a very rewording one at that.

Rewarding most of the time, but it averages out on the plus side for sure.  It's sure a scary feeling thinking what will happen when there isn't enough food for the world.  People kill for a pair of tennis shoes, so there's no limit to what the violent will do when they have no food.

We farmers work hard, but I wanna say there's lots of other folks that kick their butts making a living too.  But the difference is farmers have no set wage per hour, and are at the mercy of the markets and mother nature.

ALL hard working people deserve recognition for what they do.  I'm not as dependent on others as most, but I still depend on a lot of work others do before I get my supplies, parts, etc.  We're all in it together!

Thanks Sawdust for recognizing farmers.  :thumbs:

• Bill56, MH81, Texas Deere and Horse and 8 others have said thanks

#8 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,645 Thanks
  • 1,059 posts

Posted August 20, 2014 - 05:29 PM

If you ask 100 people where food comes I'll bet 99 will say the supermarket and not have a clue about it being grown.

It is also a dangerous occupation-----It's safer be a cop or a fire fighter.

A big thank you for those of you who work the ground and feed the world.

Bill

• Bill56, TomLGT195, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#9 Bill56 ONLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted August 20, 2014 - 07:58 PM

Farming has, and always will be, one of the hardest jobs to do. Part of that is because it takes a great deal of love and respect to do the job correctly... for the land you work, and the animals you feed. Not just now and then, but every day of your life.
  • Sawdust and Bill 76 have said thanks

#10 BillTheTractorMan OFFLINE  

BillTheTractorMan

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1477
  • 203 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted August 20, 2014 - 08:18 PM

Farmers do more then just grow our food. Many don't realize that farmer is on the school board, his wife (also a farmer) volunteers in the community. They are the first to respond to emergency situations a lot of time. Farmers do a lot more for their communities then ever recognized.

A year ago we had two big storms one after another. Me and my grandpa were out with the tractor and my truck clearing the roads for people to get around. In the evening I loaded up my saws and junk. I headed into town and helped the fire department open up the roads in the neighborhood. I wasn't the only one either. Another local farmer brought his tractor with a dozer blade to push trees out of the way. It took the town a weeks to recover from the first storm, and a couple days for the second. No one was asked to help, they all showed up and got to work.

I have never seen this kind of response in a city environment. Most of the time they sit back and cry waiting for help.

All farmers don't get the credit they should in my opinion.
  • sacsr, HDWildBill, Sawdust and 2 others have said thanks

#11 richwoodrocket OFFLINE  

richwoodrocket

16 year old JD lover

• Contributor
  • Member No: 57205
  • 147 Thanks
  • 177 posts

Posted August 20, 2014 - 11:55 PM

Agree with everybody here.
Many people don't appreciate all the hard work that goes into growing food. And yes, farms are very dangerous.
It's amazing if you think about a gallon of milk. The cows need grass, silage, water, straw... For hay alone, the grass must be cut, left to dry, tedded (don't know if that's even a word), left to dry, windrowed, and baled. And then, all the bales must be brought in from the field. That's just one thing the cows eat.
Another thing, many people take vacations for granted. Farmers don't usually get vacations.
Thank you to all farmers.

Sent from my potato using Tapatalk
  • HDWildBill, EricR, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 21, 2014 - 07:56 AM

Another thing, many people take vacations for granted. Farmers don't usually get vacations.

I have never had what most people consider a vacation.  3, maybe 4 days at a stretch, but at a dairy meeting.  Before campgrounds became over run with so many rude people, I used to go camping for a couple nights in a row.  

To tell you the truth, I wouldn't know how to act if I had a week or 2 to do as I pleased.  I'd likely get bored if I didn't have the money to do something really nice.  I would love to be able to take a week or more for Teresa & I to take a long motorcycle ride on back roads.  No major destination....just ride & enjoy the scenery.  Maybe some day.

• HDWildBill, Sawdust, Bill 76 and 1 other said thanks

#13 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted August 21, 2014 - 09:27 AM

how can you really take a vaca knowing full well you have things needing to be done ........granted we all need a break now and then, but between my town job and the farm it normally does not happen,  maybe a day or two twice a year,  that's all I need.  When you love what you do you just cannot stay away from it that long.  My real vacation is running the combine in the fall or tilling the soil in the spring,  to me that's like going to the ocean or some other tropic destination.   

• BillTheTractorMan, Sawdust, Bill 76 and 1 other said thanks

#14 BillTheTractorMan ONLINE  

BillTheTractorMan

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1477
  • 203 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted August 31, 2014 - 09:03 PM

how can you really take a vaca knowing full well you have things needing to be done ........granted we all need a break now and then, but between my town job and the farm it normally does not happen, maybe a day or two twice a year, that's all I need. When you love what you do you just cannot stay away from it that long. My real vacation is running the combine in the fall or tilling the soil in the spring, to me that's like going to the ocean or some other tropic destination.

Plowing and combining are usually the busiest times for us. We usually have a short time between plowing/planting and hay making. After hay is made we need to cut firewood for winter. After that there's more hay and then harvest & hunting. Winter is usually slow for us but its too cold to do anything. Once snow flies things get put away until spring.

We usually take time to let each other have a break. But its no more then a couple days here and there at most.
  • Sawdust said thank you

#15 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted September 01, 2014 - 08:17 AM

with fall comming so is harvest. Which is generally the most dangerous time on a farm. Farmers are usually in a hurried pace trying like mad to get crop from field to the bin or the elevator in town. Most of the time it's not done 9 to 5 , but rather 5 am till midnight or later. All most farmers ask is that you share the road. And slowdown a bit. We normally cannot stop on a dime our tractors weigh 10 ton or more plus 50,000 pounds or more of wet heavy grain. Plus the added stress of working 14 or more hours a day for 2 -3 weeks straight. Say a prayer for the farmers this fall for a safe harvest.

Edited by rdehli, September 01, 2014 - 08:20 AM.

• BillTheTractorMan and Sawdust have said thanks