12 replies to this topic

#1 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted August 19, 2014 - 05:36 PM

Now I remember why I haven't purchased a computer for use at home. Picked up a Dell laptop for use at my apartment. Had it about 10 months now came back here from a weekend at home and boom it's locked up and won't boot up. Have to reinstall. Nothing on there that I need desperately but come on.

I usually just used my work pc but they are so tough on what you use it for now that they complain about anything you install.

Edited by toomanytoys84, August 19, 2014 - 05:36 PM.

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner said thank you

#2 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted August 19, 2014 - 06:19 PM

Yep, my workplace just upgraded our computers and now we can't even change our desktop background OR screen saver!

• WNYTractorTinkerer and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#3 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted August 19, 2014 - 06:37 PM

Yep, my workplace just upgraded our computers and now we can't even change our desktop background OR screen saver!

Used to be we had free reign on our computers.  As long as we didn't look at inappropriate things it was fair game.

Now we have to ask permission and have the network admin install anything.  Down to a little template for Microsoft Office.

It is stupid.

#4 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted August 19, 2014 - 07:27 PM

Used to be we had free reign on our computers.  As long as we didn't look at inappropriate things it was fair game.

Now we have to ask permission and have the network admin install anything.  Down to a little template for Microsoft Office.

It is stupid.

I hear you.  Its all for security, though.  The people we really need to fuss at are the idiots who put bad code into an innocent Office template.  I've seen it happen.  They target businesses and try to mine data out of the systems.  If they succeed, it is bad news for everyone.

Ben W.

• toomanytoys84 said thank you

#5 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted August 19, 2014 - 07:42 PM

I hear you.  Its all for security, though.  The people we really need to fuss at are the idiots who put bad code into an innocent Office template.  I've seen it happen.  They target businesses and try to mine data out of the systems.  If they succeed, it is bad news for everyone.

Ben W.

You are right.  It drives me nuts, but it is for security.  But man, its a pain in the rear.  I use a lot of different software for different data logging equipment we use.  Every time there is an update it has to go through a panel of people and be approved for use.

A lot of people have bought their own computers to use for work because of the hassle.

I have my original issue Dell E5500.  I got in new a few years ago and when the HD crashed they were going to trash it so the IT guy gave it to me.  New HD for a couple bucks, and I have me an "extra" laptop that has no one of the security settings on it.  I use it a lot, then email myself files and then use them on my "work" computer.  It saves me some hassle.

I did get my computer up and running.  I have to say it is easier than it used to be and faster.  I had to reinstall windows from scratch, I didn't back up any of my stuff, since there was nothing that I cared about on here.  Took 20 minutes to reinstall windows, and about an hour to redownload 1 of my games, and relog into everything.  Not bad.  Still downloading another one of my games which is 12gigs and my 2mb line here at the apartment averaging 300kb/s will take for freaking ever!

Edited by toomanytoys84, August 19, 2014 - 07:45 PM.

• MH81 and superaben have said thanks

#6 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted August 19, 2014 - 07:57 PM

At least you can upload/download at will, i am using a Apple MacBook Pro, a very $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Once in a while i can download something large in the evening on a monday or tueday, any other day and forget about it, uploading is a joke now, only early in the morning before everyone fires up their computers. I use to do Youtube, here, ha ! downloading movies and such, forget it.

So, i have a expensive computer that is basiclly useless because of my service provider flat out does not care about this area, now if Direct TV moved in then we might see some good changes but until that happens im stuck with HugesNet's crap.
  • toomanytoys84 said thank you

#7 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted August 20, 2014 - 09:50 AM

I am in same boat, doing plant upgrade yesterday/today of all the PC's, what a mess. I am responsible for the lab instrument ocmtuers, nothing but issues. They had to create a "XP virtual" program to be able to run some fo the instruments because the software hasn't been upgraded to W-7 or 8. I have to get permission as an Admin on certain PC's so I can edit software.

At least I can change backgrounds.

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#8 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,319 Thanks
  • 4,665 posts

Posted August 20, 2014 - 10:15 AM

I am in same boat, doing plant upgrade yesterday/today of all the PC's, what a mess. I am responsible for the lab instrument ocmtuers, nothing but issues. They had to create a "XP virtual" program to be able to run some fo the instruments because the software hasn't been upgraded to W-7 or 8. I have to get permission as an Admin on certain PC's so I can edit software.

At least I can change backgrounds.

You can't run the programs in 'Compatibility Mode'??  I have software from Win 98 running on my Win 8 computer!  You should be able to do that and get things jiving.  Just a suggestion..

#9 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted August 20, 2014 - 11:12 AM

You can't run the programs in 'Compatibility Mode'??  I have software from Win 98 running on my Win 8 computer!  You should be able to do that and get things jiving.  Just a suggestion..

The guy from our IS help desk said they worked on that for 3 weeks, only solution to get the old prgrams to run right was use this Windows XP virtual mode and run them inside that. I dunno, I'm just a user :D

They used to print straight directly to network printers, with this new setup, it creates a PDF which is saved to a file, then you have to get out of virtual and then print from desktop, crazy!

It all has to do with built in hidden security in the hard drive. I talked to the guy this morning who originally set up most of this instrument software waaaayyyy back yrs ago. He said he can get updated software for Windows 7, but it will not install or function on our new computers due to those hidden security programs. He has installed on a store bought computer and it runs perfectly fine, they won't even let him have clearance to get around them.

• MH81, HDWildBill and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#10 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted August 20, 2014 - 12:17 PM

There is a difference in running in on a virtual OS and running in compatibility mode.  Virtual you are actually running the OS so you have the original DLL files available that were used when the older software was created.  Running in compatibility mode those DLL files may not be the same or may not have the same entry point as the old ones do which creates issues.

A lot of how software is allowed to run is dictated by IT policy and if you have a parent company then that company may be the one dictating what can and cannot be installed.  In which case the parent company may not have a clue as to what you really need.  I ran into that with my last job before retiring.  Out parent company drove us nuts with their policies because we operated in a different environment then they did.

#11 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted August 20, 2014 - 01:39 PM

Yea, the "powers to be" or the "powers that are"  reside in Germany I think, they make the calls.

We used to be admins on our own persnal PC's at our desks, now we are not. I can't even download anything from the net if I want. Shoot, I had to have permission to get them to install my personal printer/scanner that I use for my lab position. I understand security these days, but it's just Nutty!

• HDWildBill said thank you

#12 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted August 20, 2014 - 02:57 PM

At least you can upload/download at will, i am using a Apple MacBook Pro, a very $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Once in a while i can download something large in the evening on a monday or tueday, any other day and forget about it, uploading is a joke now, only early in the morning before everyone fires up their computers. I use to do Youtube, here, ha ! downloading movies and such, forget it.

So, i have a expensive computer that is basiclly useless because of my service provider flat out does not care about this area, now if Direct TV moved in then we might see some good changes but until that happens im stuck with HugesNet's crap.

At my actual home I have a 50MB/S connection through Comcast.  I can routinely download 5 movies at the same time at 3 to 5 MB/S each.  They scream.

I downloaded Team Fortress 2 last night.  Took 9 hours...argh...! 

I am not an apple fan really.....Unless they get their prices down to realistic levels.

#13 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,319 Thanks
  • 4,665 posts

Posted August 20, 2014 - 03:26 PM

Yea, the "powers to be" or the "powers that are"  reside in Germany I think, they make the calls.

We used to be admins on our own persnal PC's at our desks, now we are not. I can't even download anything from the net if I want. Shoot, I had to have permission to get them to install my personal printer/scanner that I use for my lab position. I understand security these days, but it's just Nutty!

They just don't want anyone to D/L a worm or spyware program which is really easy to do these days.  All it takes is a 'click' anymore..   :wallbanging:

DLL's and code incompatibilities suck for sure.  I've hit that snag here at home with some software..  I wiggle around them because hey-  I can!

• HDWildBill and TAHOE have said thanks