DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted February 21, 2011 - 11:37 AM

Doug - Thanks for letting out some of the secrets of out of envelope performance. Would you have any guess of batt capacity used typically?

The 2 tractors I converted just use normal deep cycle batteries you can buy anywhere, they are 110amp/hrs and 125amp/hrs. I was more interested in range or run time without spending a ton of $

These guys who race or compete have way better battery packs, if there using lead acid they use the AGM type battery because it delivers more amps than the same size of wet flooded batteries can. When you compete you want as much power, amps for a short period of time and the AGM battery does that, it also charges up faster than conventional wet cells.
I'm not a battery expert but this is what I've being able to find out on the net.

#32 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted February 22, 2011 - 04:32 PM

Wow, that is truly amazing. Can you buy conversion kits for regular gas mowers? I keep talking about how loud my machines are...this might be better than trying to mess with "quite" mufflers.

Edited by middleageddeere, February 22, 2011 - 05:07 PM.

#33 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted February 22, 2011 - 05:57 PM

IMO this is the best electric motor to use for an electric conversion on a lawn tractor.
yhst-129399866319704_2143_442776.jpg
It has a 1" shaft, spins about 3600rpm with a 48volt battery pack, does not over rev with no load on,
needs no controller, has enough power to move the tractor and drive the blades.
Motor PowerTronX (Mars) PTX-1004 Permanent Magnet DC Pancake Brushed Double Magnet 200A cont
  • middleageddeere said thank you

#34 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted February 22, 2011 - 08:26 PM

Any idea on the battery pack? Where to get them? What amperage per hour? What should you spend?

#35 hotya100 OFFLINE  

hotya100

• Member No: 1906
  • 8 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted February 26, 2011 - 03:07 AM

Electric pulling tractors are over rated. They are just powered with confined smoke. Everything is fine until you let the smoke out of anything electrical. Anybody that has let the smoke out of a hand held drill knows what I'm talking about. Give me alcohol burnin' engines with open headers anytime. Oh, and a set of earplugs.

#36 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted February 26, 2011 - 08:02 AM

Any idea on the battery pack? Where to get them? What amperage per hour? What should you spend?

For that motor I showed you need 48 volt battery pack. IMO
The best for the money is 6volt golf cart batteries, need 8 of them, big problem is where to put them.
Next best smaller and cheaper, 4 big 12 volt deep cycle batteries, much easier to mount, I use Wallmart only cause $

#37 Rick Brumback OFFLINE  

Rick Brumback

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4355
  • 19 Thanks
  • 124 posts

Posted July 07, 2011 - 06:25 PM

Big shocker there,Jullian Stahl owns Midwest Supercub and run the NQS pulling circuit.He has people what can build ANYTHING.

#38 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted July 07, 2011 - 09:44 PM

Doug, Thanks for posting this video. That was very COOL, and I agee with Daniel, no noise makes it kinda weird. But this shows that Electric tractors can hold their own with the Gassers!!.

Never mind the gassers, he was running with the 1100 lb class of diesels! And in the video, the caption said that if he'd been able to enter the class he would've taken 2nd place! That's impressive! I have to agree that the sad little whine that the electric motor makes leaves something to be desired for us die-hard fossil fuelers though LOL!

#39 Rick Brumback OFFLINE  

Rick Brumback

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4355
  • 19 Thanks
  • 124 posts

Posted July 08, 2011 - 10:16 AM

Jullian Sthal,owner of Midwest Supercub and he run the National Quarter Scale Pulling Series.Must be nice to have that kind of tech at hand and the guys who know how to apply it.