• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,456 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted August 19, 2014 - 07:25 PM

Troy, for whatever reasons, you were where you could do the most good for all affected. So don't dwell on the why's. Yes, the scene will be played over again, but you did what you could to help all involved.

• johndeereelfman, trowel and oldedeeres have said thanks

#17 plowboy OFFLINE  

plowboy

TRACTOROLOGIST

• Contributor
  • Member No: 7340
  • 133 Thanks
  • 229 posts

Posted August 19, 2014 - 07:28 PM

I have been a volunteer firefighter and fire police for over 14 yrs now and i can tell you that sadly you will see things of this nature over and over. It's what we have to deal with wether paid or volunteer and doing it "without benefits or rewards" is what proves the heart of a volunteer. Thank you for your selfless service. God bless you.

Edited by plowboy, August 19, 2014 - 07:29 PM.

• johndeereelfman, trowel and oldedeeres have said thanks

#18 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted August 19, 2014 - 07:42 PM

Thanks for sharing this. You done all you could do. It was a blessing YOU were there to help both victims. We were always told growing up sometimes having our routine altered or being delayed sometimes it's for a reason. Prayers for all involved in this tragic accident.

Edited by Sawdust, August 19, 2014 - 07:42 PM.

• johndeereelfman said thank you

#19 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,866 Thanks
  • 3,198 posts

Posted August 20, 2014 - 12:18 AM

You're a good man Troy. The driver of the car is as much a victim as Angela and you realised that and went to help her as well. How many others would have extended the same caring and recognition? You have my respect.

• JDBrian, johndeereelfman, trowel and 2 others have said thanks

#20 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted August 22, 2014 - 08:32 AM

Just an update. Since I'm not a family member, the Hospital won't release Angela's condition to me, and the Police Department hasn't done anymore with the case, since it appears to be a simple accident and no charges were filed. I tried contacting the journalist who wrote the newspaper article, to see if he had any updates, and the heartless guy told me he won't follow up on the story anymore unless Angela dies. If he would have been face to face with me when he said that, he would have been picking his teeth up off the floor. I guess as long as the Hospital keeps telling me Angela's condition won't be released, I'll continue believing that she is still alive and on her way to recovery. Don't mean to be cruel when I say this, but I've been checking the obituaries column every morning in the newspaper, hoping that I don't see her name listed, and so far so good.

I'm going to get a card and write a personal note in it, and send it to Charlene, the driver, most likely next week. I figured I'll give her a week to get herself calmed down a little, and then let her know that I'm thinking about her, and praying for her everyday. I don't want her to feel alone, and to let her know I care. I realize with something this dramatic, a week isn't enough time to get over something like this, but for my own satisfaction, I don't know if I can go longer than that without touching base with her. 

As for me, I finally had a decent nights sleep last night. The replaying in my mind has finally subsided a little, although I find myself thinking of the victims constantly. Tuesday night was a rough night sleeping, and I was told I jumped three times in my sleep during the night. 

Thanks again for all of the encouragement and uplifting thoughts. You guys really helped out a lot!

• oldedeeres said thank you

#21 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,562 posts

Posted August 22, 2014 - 10:01 AM

Troy, have you thought about maybe contacting Angela's family to see what her condition is?  They may appreciate your concern as well, I'm sure this is a trying time for them.   I think the card to Charlene would be a very nice thing to do and I know if I were in her place I would really appreciate it.

As far as the report goes, Don Henley put it very well in the Song "Dirty Landry"  and pretty well sums up the reporter

Glad you got at least one night good sleep.  Hang in there. :thumbs:

• johndeereelfman and oldedeeres have said thanks

#22 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,646 Thanks
  • 7,675 posts

Posted August 22, 2014 - 10:46 AM

A note to all about seat belt usage; a state trooper I worked with said that he had never seen a person in a roll over accident without a seat belt that survived.

• johndeereelfman and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#23 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted August 22, 2014 - 01:33 PM

A note to all about seat belt usage; a state trooper I worked with said that he had never seen a person in a roll over accident without a seat belt that survived.

I have worn my seat belt since I got my license.  I have been in a few BAD accidents.  One that included 1 end over end roll and 7 barrel rolls. 

Every time I have walked away without any major injuries.

• johndeereelfman and trowel have said thanks

#24 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted August 23, 2014 - 08:31 AM

I survived just such a roll-over, although at a low speed.  I was also in one with my seat belt on, going much faster.  My advice? Wear your seat belt, it hurts a lot less.

Just to be clear, I was a passenger in both crashes.  Both were in mid-70's Chev pick-ups.  Not a scientific test, but pretty similar.

• johndeereelfman said thank you