23 replies to this topic

#1 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,461 Thanks
  • 2,527 posts

Posted August 19, 2014 - 11:58 AM

While going to work this morning, heading North, I was behind a small Honda Civic who was attempting to go around a Transit Bus that had been pulled off to the side of the road to let out passengers. We were traveling about 45 miles an hour, which is within the speed limit. When the lady driving the Honda got to the front of the bus, she hit one of the female passengers attempting to cros the road, and sent her into the South bound lane of traffic. Fortunately, the South bound driver could see what was going to happen, and stopped in time, or else he would have also hit the pedestrian. Since I direct traffic for the local Fire Company, I backed up, and pulled in behind the bus and went running to the pedestrian to see how bad she was, and let me tell you, it wasn't pretty. Laying on her left side, not moving, barely breathing, and unconsious, I wasn't about to turn her over. A fellow medic showed up out of no where, carefully rolled the pedestrian onto her back, and when I saw the pedestrians face, I knew I had to walk away and start directing traffic, as it was clear that we were going to be here awhile. I'll really be surprised if this girl makes it. She was in pretty bad shape and was loosing a lot of blood from her head.

After things settled down a little and I had a detour set up, the Police Department showed up to do an investigation. While they were taking pictures and measurements, I was able to look the Honda over a bit. You could easily tell where the girls body landed on the hood of the Honda, and there was roughly a 6" deep hole in the windshield from where her head hit the glass. The pedestrians lunch sandwich was stuck in the grill of the Honda. I knew the driver of the Honda and I were going the speed limit, but from the looks of the Honda damage, you would have thought we were doing 100 mph, 

I noticed the female Honda driver standing along the road crying terribly, so I walked over to ask if I could do anything for her, and all she asked for was a bottle of water. That I could do. I grabbed my wallet and walked roughly 300 yards down the road to a gas station, and got her three bottles. Although she was pretty shaken up, she seemed to be doing pretty well. I don't know if she'll get charged with anything, but from what I could tell, the pedestrian ran out in front of the Honda without looking for traffic. She got off a Transit Bus, not a School Bus, and traffic don't stop for Transit Buses like the do for School Buses. She worked at the local Egg Processing Plant just across the road, so maybe she was late for work and in a hurry? Don't know for sure, and at this point, I don't know if we'll ever know. I would guess she was between 30 to 35 years of age, so hopefully her young age will pull her through her injuries. I wish her the best!

It was deffinately a life changing experience, and something I don't want to have to witness again. I'm sure I'll see the scene happen again and again, over and over in my head tonight whenever I go to bed, so I'm expecting a restless night tonight. 

Not sure why I told you guys all of this, but it does seem to help talking about it. 

• olcowhand, Gtractor, MH81 and 21 others have said thanks

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,461 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted August 19, 2014 - 12:07 PM

Troy, Sorry you had to witness that, but thankful to GOD that you and others with the proper training were there to help out with the whole situation. I'm sure it will lie heavy on you for some time to come. You may need to see if your fire dept. has anyone you can talk to, a Professional, to help get you through this. We are always here to listen Brother !!

• KennyP, JDBrian, johndeereelfman and 4 others have said thanks

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 19, 2014 - 12:09 PM

Sorry ot hear you had to witness that Troy. You did the right thing though and used your skills and knowledge to help wherever possible. If I'm ever a victim in an accident I hope someone like you is around to help. It's natural and healthy to want to talk about traumatic events like this. The whole experience is a reminder of how lives can change in an instant. It also reminds me of the first responders, who encounter accident scenes on a daily basis and the toll it can take on them.

• Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP, johndeereelfman and 6 others have said thanks

#4 LilysDad OFFLINE  

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,230 Thanks
  • 7,462 posts

Posted August 19, 2014 - 12:23 PM

I'm sorry to hear all of this. A few seconds difference an she might have walked into you. I agree with everything that's been said. Don't bottle this up.

• KennyP, johndeereelfman, tinbender7 and 2 others have said thanks

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,415 Thanks
  • 4,880 posts

Posted August 19, 2014 - 12:47 PM

I understand your feelings. I was at my grandmas in the city, standing on the sidewalk. Neighbor girl saw her sisters across the very busy street in front of the car parked in front of grandma's. I wasn't 10-12 feet from her. She ran right in front of an on coming car, I got to watch it hit her then send her flying through the air and onto the pavement. She was 8 or 9, I was maybe 12. Pretty rough seeing her lying on the ground in a pool of blood not moving just like your pedestrian. The Fire house was about 4 blocks up the street, grandma called they were there pretty fast. She ended up with no brain damage, but walked with a limp. 

Sending up a prayer for her and hope she recovers.

• KennyP, johndeereelfman, tinbender7 and 2 others have said thanks

#6 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,047 Thanks
  • 4,977 posts

Posted August 19, 2014 - 12:57 PM

Praying for the best for the young girl.  Please keep us updated if you hear anything on her.

We often get in a hurry and forget about things that we do every day.  Like looking both ways before crossing the street.

I've seen a few accidents at work up close.  Not something fun to see.  Sticks with you for a few days.

• KennyP, johndeereelfman, tinbender7 and 3 others have said thanks

#7 Oldford OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 570 posts

Posted August 19, 2014 - 01:44 PM

Maybe cause i've been riding bikes all my life i have a dread of what cars can do to bodies.  For sure i'm in the minority always slow down for any kind of possible obstruction even in my truck.  People don't seem to realize the speed limit means upper limit in perfect conditions.  View blocked by a bus full of people in a business district during peak hours is far from high speed perfect conditions imo. 

So i always slow down.  As bad as i'd feel hitting some person even if it was her "fault," she'd feel even worse.  Too many people driving cars forget it's not their right to plow down people just because they're unlucky enough to be in the road for some reason, even if it's the "wrong" one.  "You're wrong, i'm right, so i'll just run you over rather than slow down" is the wrong line of thought imo. 

imo driving a 2-ton rolling death wagon gives me big responsibilities, not big privileges.  end of rant/

• TheFarm2004, Alc, johndeereelfman and 5 others have said thanks

#8 olcowhand OFFLINE  

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,225 Thanks
  • 29,691 posts

Posted August 19, 2014 - 02:48 PM

I too would lose sleep for a good while after seeing that Troy.  I pray for the girl to recover completely, as well as you.

• KennyP and johndeereelfman have said thanks

#9 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,647 Thanks
  • 8,523 posts

Posted August 19, 2014 - 03:02 PM

You need to get it out and talk about it otherwise it will eat away at you and you could possibly have many sleepless nights.  So talk as much as you need to.  We'll be here to listen. 

• KennyP, johndeereelfman and oldedeeres have said thanks

#10 MH81 OFFLINE  

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,669 Thanks
  • 28,318 posts

Posted August 19, 2014 - 04:02 PM

Troy, we are here. Talking to a pro is best, but if you want to talk to us, please vent.
I know I sent you my Ph # once, if you need it again, do not hesitate to shoot me a PM
  • johndeereelfman and HDWildBill have said thanks

#11 petrj6 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,701 Thanks
  • 2,160 posts

Posted August 19, 2014 - 04:09 PM

I witnessed an accident involving a family with very young children, one of the girls in the van was not buckled and had a very bad head injury.  I helped to get the girl to a truck out to wait for the emt's, I had bad dreams all weekend over that.  My daughter was only 2 at the time. I feel for you, seeing things like that gets to you, you never really forget them.  You did the rite thing and that is what you need to keep in your head.

• Alc, KennyP, johndeereelfman and 2 others have said thanks

#12 trowel OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted August 19, 2014 - 05:29 PM

Man ! that is rough, i am so glad you and your friend were there to aid her, hopefully she will live, such a shock, out of the blue.

I will send a pray out for her.

I watched Glade die not too long ago, then bury him this past sunday, yes, i am glad you told us, i should of and im still losing sleep, just keep busy and talking to your friend, we are here, worse thing you can ever do it try to forget it and surpress it like i did when Less died.

If you want to just chat PM me, im here just about every evening, it is the least i can offer.

• KennyP, johndeereelfman, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#13 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,461 Thanks
  • 2,527 posts

Posted August 19, 2014 - 06:03 PM

Thanks for all of the support guys, I really appreciate it. 

I made a couple phone calls this afternoon to see what I could find out, and it turns out that Angela, the girl who was struck, is in critical condition and has had surgery on her brain due to swelling. The next 24 hours will determine how strong she is. They couldn't tell me if she had a family of her own, but they did tell me she is 30 years old. As for the Police record, the Police are considering the Honda driver innocent, and she will not be charged with anything. 

After I got home from work tonight, my wife told me there is an article about the accident online by the local newspaper. After reading their article, I wish I just would have left well enough alone. The article wasn't bad, and was really written up good, except for the last paragraph, in which the journalist wrote, "The 55 year old driver of the car was determined to be sober and wasn't driving under the influence of alcohol." Not sure why that had to be printed, but it was and it rubs me the wrong way. It's bad enough the driver of the car was so shook up at the time of the incident, but now to have to read this yet? Come on people. Has our society become that interested in only hearing the bad news or finding out who was at fault, that this kind of writing is the only way to grab the communities interest? Unbelievable! 

After I got back to work (2 1/2 hours after the accident) the whole thing started playing in my mind. I keep seeing Angela flying from the hood of the car and landing in the street. I keep seeing her face when we rolled her over on her back. I remember just feeling so helpless. I guess things just happened so fast that I really didn't have the time to reflect or think about what really happened. After thinking about my morning again, and playing it over and over in my head, I started to remember things that didn't see important at the time. When I get up in the mornings, I have a routine that I follow to the minute. When I get out to the truck in the mornings, I normally just use the key fob to unlock the door. But this morning I went for the key, which caused me to drop the keys in the driveway. Even when I got into the truck, I remember thinking that that was old, I don't usually do that. My driveway is in the alleyway behind our house. So after starting the truck, I proceeded out the alleyway towards route 501. While waiting to pull out onto 501, I remember the Honda driver coming around the turn of the lower intersection slowly and flashing her lights for me to pull out, but instead I waved her to go since she had the right away. She waved as she went past me, and I pulled out behind her. So all afternoon I keep wondering, why did I go for my key this morning instead of using the key fob like normal? What if I would have pulled out when the Honda driver flashed for me to go? Why couldn't I have done more for Angela as she was laying there in the street? I don't have answers, but I do know that God was watching over me today. Something placed this key oddity on me this morning, and something gave me the kind hardiness to let the Honda driver go first. I don't have reasons, but I think my day was planned for me before I even had the chance to make plans for myself. 

I appreciate all of your prayers and encouragement, and I'm honored for the way you all are wanting to build up my spirit. This was a tough experience but I'll be alright. I'm not worried that eventually the thoughts and replaying of the accident will go away, and life will get back to normal again. My only regret is that I didn't go to the Honda driver sooner to make sure she was alright. I keep seeing her standing there all alone, as if she didn't have a friend in the world. My heart goes out to both of the victims here, and I pray that both will heal and recover quickly!

Edited by johndeereelfman, August 19, 2014 - 06:07 PM.

• Alc, KennyP, trowel and 4 others have said thanks

#14 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,047 Thanks
  • 4,977 posts

Posted August 19, 2014 - 06:18 PM

My dad really believes in what you just said.  They key thing, waiting, and just how things work out.

I guess when I was less than a year old my parents were going to go grocery shopping.  We were all in the car, and dad realized he forgot his wallet.  Ran back in the house, got his wallet, and we left.  He said we went 2 miles down the road, a guy came left of center and blasted a tree ahead of us.  He thinks to this day that if he wouldn't of left his wallet he would of hit us head on.

He says to this day that god was looking out for us that day.

• KennyP, johndeereelfman and superaben have said thanks

• Member No: 10038
  • 4,672 Thanks
  • 4,220 posts

Posted August 19, 2014 - 06:27 PM

Glad you stopped and helped the best you could.

We as firefighters/rescuers see these accidents all the time, and living is a small community we often know everyone involved and that makes it personal!

• johndeereelfman said thank you