• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 stetson OFFLINE  

stetson
  • Member No: 59357
  • 46 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted September 03, 2014 - 10:47 AM

sorry sorry its been crazy here i did get it to crank and run ......but..... it shuts off imedietly after i let the starter go..... it doesnt die off it doesnt wean off as soon as i release the key from start position she dies....... any help there gentlemen???

#17 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted September 03, 2014 - 10:52 AM

sorry sorry its been crazy here i did get it to crank and run ......but..... it shuts off imedietly after i let the starter go..... it doesnt die off it doesnt wean off as soon as i release the key from start position she dies....... any help there gentlemen???

Sounds like maybe the shutoff solenoid isn't getting voltage except when starter is engaged.  

• Cvans said thank you

#18 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted September 03, 2014 - 01:02 PM

:iagree:

#19 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted September 03, 2014 - 01:09 PM

sounds like bad wiring

#20 stetson OFFLINE  

stetson
  • 46 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted September 03, 2014 - 02:04 PM

im assuming so myself i gotta work on some horse stalls tonight or id be working on it but i plan on checking auxillary wires

#21 stetson OFFLINE  

stetson
  • 46 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted September 16, 2014 - 07:50 AM

oh man oh man i gotter running over the weekend and let me tell you its a tank if you can push it over you can cut it....i was gonna take the motor off to repower one of my bolens tractors but after the wife got on it well i dont believe i will get to.......and as far as the mowing the regular yard with a 61" deck i mowed the whole yard in an hour and thats prolly 3 acres its so fast!!!!!! not bad for a free junker im gonna go get the filters for a hydro service and tune it up it does need some adjusting the right side pulls faster than the left so a few minutes tinkering with the adjustment ill have her whooped

• Cvans said thank you

#22 stetson OFFLINE  

stetson
  • 46 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted September 19, 2014 - 01:04 PM

well we are back to the work bench 2 cuttings on the yard with it over the past week and this morning it wont turn over fast enough battery is charged but doesnt seem to want to crank over fast enough not sure what to do on this one

#23 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted September 19, 2014 - 01:49 PM

sounds like battery or starter. Is battery a good one?

Our church has a 721D and we had to replace battery. It would charge up fine, but then not enough to spin starter fast enough as you said.

We actually traded a Ferris IS5000 wtih Cat deisel 72' cut for this Grasshopper, we all like it so much better. Smaller deck so we can cut more places, easier to manuever, less apt to tip over and it cuts our steep hills much eaiser as it's more stable. I am glad we got it. We cut about 4-5 acres including pond and field. The Ferris ended up in pond several times cause it would slide, not once with the GH.

#24 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted September 19, 2014 - 06:54 PM

Check all your connections and make sure they are tight. If your engine is mounted on rubber be sure and have a ground jumper between the engine and the frame. It is also possible that your starter is dragging and that will slow it down. Check the armature bearings for free play and smoothness. 

#25 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted September 20, 2014 - 01:34 AM

The 600 I took from a Jacobsen TrKking and put in snowblowing Jacobsen TurfCat has a switch for the glow plugs that you hold in the on position until the glowplug indicator glows bright red.  I then hold the switch on and crank the engine until the engine starts and if it real cold I hold it until the engine smooths out.  I have a few  glow plug indicators than came with the deal if anyone is interested.  If I try to rush things and attempt to start before the glow indicator glows red all I get is white smoke and frustrated,  Takes about 60 seconds hen the temperature get down to the - 30* level.

• Alc said thank you