• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 stetson OFFLINE  

stetson
  • Member No: 59357
  • 46 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted August 19, 2014 - 11:54 AM

anyone ever run into a 718 grasshopper lawnmower with the 600d engine in it? just got one for free and it will turn over great but wont start sounds like it wants to but never does ive primed it it gets fuel i get white smoke jsut wont run i just bought the glowplugs and tonight when i get home im gonna try that.

when you turn the key over should i wait to start?  my question is should it have a first click in the switch to warm up plugs? because if thats the case when i turn switch to the first stage my glow pluge relay doesnt get andy juice to it but when i actually turn it all the way and while its cranking over my glowplug relay has 12v

• chieffan said thank you

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted August 19, 2014 - 12:02 PM

It maybe that you turn the key backwards to get the glow plugs to work then the right way to spin the engine over. Does it sound like the engine is turning fast enough, they have to spin pretty fast to star. Does it have an electric fuel pump, if so is it coming on when you turn the key to run, you should be able to hear it. If it does, you can bleed the fuel lines all the way to the injector pump fuel inlet, then crack the injector lines loose to see if you are getting fuel to the injectors.

#3 EconChuck OFFLINE  

EconChuck
  • Member No: 18979
  • 251 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted August 19, 2014 - 12:05 PM

Hi,
I don't know how Grasshopper did their diesels, but Cub Cadets that used the 600D had a setup where you turned the key switch counterclockwise to energize the glow plug relay. You manually held it there for however long you needed it (10-30 sec)
before turning to start. It would make sense that the glow plug relay kept energized for a few seconds after engaging the starter.
imo, once the new glow plugs are installed, it will run!
Good luck.

Chuck

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 19, 2014 - 12:14 PM

However they do it, there needs to be some way to pre heat before you turn the engine over. Try what was suggested above. The glow plugs can be tested with an ohm meter. Should read low ohms.

#5 stetson OFFLINE  

stetson
  • 46 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted August 19, 2014 - 12:21 PM

the mowers only got 456 hours on it thats not to bad on a 1988 mower i dont think so im hoping she will crank on up

#6 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted August 19, 2014 - 07:38 PM

Old Kubotas always start hard.  They are cold natured.  Glow plug the heck out of them and they will fire right up.

Turn the key backwards for glow.  On is just ignition on, the glow plugs will not work, and start should have the glow plugs engaged, so it sounds like your wiring system is working just fine. 

I don't know how you managed to be in the right place at such a right time, but free for a diesel 'Hopper is not bad!

Ben W.

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted August 19, 2014 - 07:44 PM

Yep, even my Kubota D1005 that came off a blacktop crack sealing machine used the CCW key for glow plugs.  It's now in "Hogzilla", and I retained all the original wiring system.

#8 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,483 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts

Posted August 19, 2014 - 08:32 PM

As stated above, Make darn sure your glow plugs are working or all your going to get is smoke. 

Good luck.

#9 stetson OFFLINE  

stetson
  • 46 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted August 20, 2014 - 10:07 AM

well after installing glowplugs i still dont have anything you can turn it over for over a minute and about every 3 seconds it sounds like it wonts to fire and kicks a few times then goes back to cranking and it cranks over super fast i got the injectors off and in the parts washer here at work on lunch im gonna go through them and clean them maybe im not getting good spray the fuel pump works great i tested that yesterday

#10 bh115577 ONLINE  

bh115577
  • Member No: 9791
  • 434 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted August 20, 2014 - 11:11 AM

You can get at least some free info here: http://www.grasshopp...port_manual.php

Machine Operator's Manuals - including Service info and Parts diagrams.

Might help.

#11 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted August 20, 2014 - 12:07 PM

I am a heavy diesel mechanic and worked on couple 600D Kubota in the past. I got to ask couple questions first. When was the last time this engine ran? Was it run outa fuel? I have had trouble with these engines loosing the prim at the pump. It usally blows white smoke when attempting to start if air is in fuel.

Try loosening the fuel injector lines that run from pump to injectors. Loosen all a turn or two and crank the engine. Look for bubbles in the fuel that is coming out. If there is air keep cranking until bubbles stop, each will stop at a different time. Ones bubbles stop close that line. Once 2 lines are primed the engine will start. Then close the last one.

I would try this first if the machine been sitting
  • stetson said thank you

#12 stetson OFFLINE  

stetson
  • 46 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted August 20, 2014 - 12:31 PM

i just got done with an injectors and im almost certain i have the problem contained the injectors were stopped up so bad i have to use a dental pick just to scrap and pull the inner spring and needle valve out they were bone dry even after been sitting in parts cleaner 5 hours and they didnt have diesel inside them so we will see this evening when i slap them back on i will definetly use your priming technic 1978murry!!!

#13 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted August 27, 2014 - 01:47 PM

well did you get it to run?

#14 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,483 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts

Posted August 27, 2014 - 08:29 PM

:iagree:   :tapping_fingers: ????????????

#15 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted August 27, 2014 - 08:43 PM

:wtf: :ditto: